Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gear prices

gear prices

I've been looking at gear as I get closer to buying a bike, and for helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, I'm seeing a pretty large investment developing (well worth it, I like being alive and in semi-decent shape)

Just curious, though, is $800 'ish about normal for gearing up for the first time? I've actually priced some stuff where the total would go closer to $1200 (what can I say, I like a nice jacket!) I'd also gladly accept any info or tips on cutting that dollar figure down, without sacrificing any safety.
    I know enough to know I don't know a thing!

Re: gear prices

I'd say get the best gear you can afford. Sad to see people kick down big cash for bike mods & accessories but get skimpy when it comes to gear. So if you can afford $800+ bucks for gear do it.

When I started gearing up I was kinda broke so I bought decent but inexpensive gear. Later as I had more money and knew what I liked, I bought better (meaning better fitting, more features) gear.

Gear does wear out so if you don't know your preferences just buy what will work for now.

I don't want to spend a ton, but I will if I have to. I experienced some lovely face-to-face time with a rather large truck several years back, and I have a feeling the only way I'll feel safe riding again is heavily armored!

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar

Get gear and use it, but remember that practice and riding skills are your best bet to stay safe. Pick up a copy of David Hough's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1933958359/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282313878&sr=1-1"]Proficient Motorcycling[/ame]. THe book is excellent, an added investment to riding safely.

You can find some wonderful gear deals at New Enough They have great prices and excellent customer service. Returning or exchanging is no problem.
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Back in the Saddle Short White Guy's Avatar

Cycle Gear is also a great place to get reasonably priced gear. It's where I got all of my gear for only a few hundred dollars, and they have a really good return policy. Their sales are also really good.

I'd say buy the best gear you can afford (www.Motoport.com for me...mostly) but most any dedicated moto gear is WAY better than jeans, sneakers, and t-shirt. And a big second on www.newenough.com.
    Matthew 7: 21-23

Beautiful Downtown Canoga Park - A great place to live, work, and shop

For around $800 you should be able to get a pretty good setup - maybe not full leathers and top of the line boots, but good serviceable gear that will protect you well.

I started off with all sale stuff from Cycle Gear - Red Route pants and jacket, Shoei RF-1000 helmet (still wear that one), decent boots, and $35 for armored gloves). Didn't like the pants, so swapped those for a mesh Dianese jacket for the warmer weather and purchased a pair of BMW City Pants ($250). Still under or around the $800 level.

I've since added a TourMaster 3/4 jacket with heated liner, warmer gloves (special buy - normally $165 for $15), rain gear and some other minor stuff. Probably add a leather jacket this fall and maybe leather pants next summer (need to lose a few pounds first).

It's a process - you start with something that works and figure out what works for you as you progress and possibly change your riding style or motorcycle of choice (you know, suspenders are mandatory for Guzzi riders like chaps, vests and half helmets are for H-D pirates ).

jdg
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge - the fast, sexy, red one
    2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE - Rocky
    1999 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
    1976 Honda CJ30T - Vintage riding at it's best?

good gear will cost you $$$.
    depending on what helmet you get it can easily eat up half or more of the 800. Then you have Jacket(120-400), riding pants (100 - 250), gloves(35 -200), riding boots (80 - 300)
    if you are patient and do your homework you can buy almost all of the gear on sale deals at the lowest prices. If I were buying I would wait for a deal then buy lower quality. Many people skim on gloves, remember all gloves that look good are not good. Same goes for the rest of the gear. So buy stuff which when the time comes(god willing never) does its job of protecting you by successfully standing up to the asphalt.
    hope this makes sense
    ---------------------

Makes perfect sense....get the best you can afford, and by being patient and waiting for sales, a person can probably afford higher quality.

Now I just have to start tracking deals....and try to decide on a bike, although I've decided to hold off on buying the bike till the holiday season hits, when the end of riding season coincides with needing Christmas money. I figure I'll get the best deal on a bike then.

Thread Information