Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Under Armour Cold Gear - Do you use it / like it ?

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT FJRAWR1300A

Re: Under Armour Cold Gear - Do you use it / like it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkus View Post
    Obviously giving the product a 3 Star rating (out of a possible 5) and telling the truth was NOT what they wanted to see/hear....
    I have e-mailed them back, challenging them on their decision but I seriously doubt that I will ever hear back from them....
    Why I don't believe on-line reviews anymore. I bought a gradient visor for my carbon fiber helmet ... has to be the WORST visor I have ever owned (murky, hard to see through - the entire visor, not just the unshaded area, night vision produced headlight stars - just not a good visor). I have sent my very detailed review 4 times and never heard back nor seen it posted. pffftttt .... I think those single stars we see are after a lot of multi starts just to give the illusion.

On your topic ... I like fleece. Thin to thick, it seems to be the best for me. The First Gear fleece liner I have is on the thick side, but not too back. Has the zip up neck and under that I usually where at the most a long sleeve shirt. High 30s and I am still fine, forearms can feel cold on long rides, but not uncomfortable. I usually carry a thin sweatshirt that would fit under the fleece liner easily just in case. Legs are usually thermally lined over pants, fleece lined jeans and if really cold a pair of thermals under all that ... I have a few different thermals, not really a need to search out others since so far, I have no issues. My FEET are my big issue ... I think that may be the only place I want to think about heated gear (my grips are already heated.

The real issue I have is stopping for a few minutes - you can heat up in a hurry in all that Mr Bebendum gear.
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S

Under Armour Cold Gear - Do you use it / like it ?

Quote Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
    The real issue I have is stopping for a few minutes - you can heat up in a hurry in all that Mr Bebendum gear.
    Precisely why I am pursuing the objective of thin, but efficient, undergarments for moto-use....
    There are days when I feel like that old caricature of the "Complete ATGATT Rider" and that takes a lot of the fun out of the riding experience - but it still beats a skin graft..
    Last edited by Turkus; 05-07-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

Name
    Robert
    Bike(s)
    2010 Triumph TigerSE

Quote Originally Posted by jgrs955i View Post
    Marino wool is still the best base layer you can get. I use the UA cold gear for a base under rain gear when I work. You can not feel it warm-up. I don't believe you are supposed to. I find it keeps me dry and temperate under impermeable material, so I don't get cold when the activity level drops off. Great for what I use it for. I use it for riding too when I know it will warm up later in the day. Again, stays temperate when I find the wool will be a bit too hot. I like it, but the wool is better for keeping the cold off.
    i tried strappin sheeps to me but the duct tape just doesnt work so well. Also hard to get my jacket over them critters.

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    05 Wee Strom

Quote Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
    i tried strappin sheeps to me but the duct tape just doesnt work so well. Also hard to get my jacket over them critters.

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S

Under Armour Cold Gear - Do you use it / like it ?

After basking in near 70 degree temps for the last few days, I thought that Saturday would be a perfect riding day !!

Nope.......it was raining when I got up this morning

So.....to get me out of the house and kill some time, I drove down to South Sound BMW where they were having a gawkfest of the two new K1600 MonsterBricks and a Vendor Fair as well.
    The Vendor Fair was comprised of mostly local enterprises, including Touratech, SoundRider, Gerbing and LD Comfort of Hoquiam, WA

I spent about 25 minutes, or more, talking with owner (and inventor) Mario Winkelman discussing our riding history and how we both "graduated" from Honda 50s to BMW R1200RTs
    After a very simple, yet informative, demo of his product (and the material) explaining that it is the ONE undergarment for both hot and cold weather, I walked away with a pair of riding tights, long sleeve mock turtleneck shirt, and both of his new helmet liners to add to my moto-wardrobe.
    The garments are spendy but the "show pricing" included the sales tax and I didn't have to pay shipping, so I think I came out alright

Between these items and the Smartwool shirts I just got, I think I have just increased the available space in the side cases of the RT.

Thanks for the heads up on these goodies J O, I can't wait to put them to the test
    Bruce

GMR1 2009

www.streetmasters.info

Name
    Scott
    Bike(s)
    K1100LT

Turkus, make sure to give us a detailed review of each item, please. Of particular interest are how this apparel performs in the heat. I have no problem riding into the mid 20's with my current clothing selection but heat is whole different kettle of fish.

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S

Under Armour Cold Gear vs Wool vs LD Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Red View Post
    Turkus, make sure to give us a detailed review of each item, please. Of particular interest are how this apparel performs in the heat. I have no problem riding into the mid 20's with my current clothing selection but heat is whole different kettle of fish.
    Scott ~
    The LD Comfort material is engineered around both heat AND cold !!
    The demo I observed involved a small swatch of their material immersed in water, wrung out and then passed across the back of my hand to verify that it was "dry".
    The moisture (water) migrates to the outer portion of the material, leaving the interior portion (ostensibly) dry. The demo suggested donning your jacket over the long sleeved shirt, grasping a 16oz. bottle of water backwards in your hand and raising your arms up in the air to have the water run down the sleeves of the jacket and over the shirt sleeves. It is also recommended to open the neck of your jacket "slightly" and pour water over/around your neck. Wearing shorty gloves, the air moving up your sleeves and around your neck produces the "moto-version of air conditioning". The same thing goes for the helmet liners that are made out of the same material as the garments - soak it before donning your helmet.
    This concept, in the words of Mario Winkelman, virtually eliminates the need for a cooling vest. The other plus, he says, is that you can wash your LD Comfort products - he hasn't head of a way to properly wash a cooling vest yet.
    After wearing a cooling vest in 109* temps through Redding in July last year, I felt more "poached" than cool (and about 10lbs heavier ).

J O has had some experience with this product in warmer climes and I'm sure he'll chime in at some point.
    Bruce

GMR1 2009

www.streetmasters.info

Name
    SCOTT
    Bike(s)
    GSXR 750

For cold weather riding, blocks wind, and shields from rain I highly recommend you check out our motorcycle underwear suit. It has a very soft raised neck collar which does a great job of allowing the neck to move freely yet protect it from cold winds and the elements of the road.

MOTO-D Fall/Cold Winter Motorcycle Riding Base Layer
    •1-piece easy-fit motorcycle undersuit base layer
    •For all body types, soft shell fabric insulates and blocks wind keeping you WARM
    •Light weight so it fits under jackets and jeans easily, "fleece" like interior offers full range of movement
    •Raised soft stretch neck collar protects from rain and road debris
    •Great for Multisport use including Skiing, Running, Snowmobile, Watersports, and Outdoor Work; no chaffing!
    •On sale for $79.99 from Pashnit or by visiting www.MOTODRACING.com

Name
    Ric
    Bike(s)
    Victory Cross Roads

I didn't see any mention in this thread of CycleGear's Freeze-Out undies. Has anyone tried them? I bought a pair of their glove liners and test rode 'em for about 100 miles in the lower 40s with medium weight leather gloves and my hands were quite comfortable the whole while. FYI, I have a heated saddle that works so well, I no longer put on my Gerbing electric jacket liner. Sure nice not having that umbilical cord 'tween me and the bike.

Name
    Arle
    Bike(s)
    CBR1100XX BlackBird

I wear www.icebreaker.com and Gerbing heated gear.

Thread Information