Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Oregonian & Californian Pashnits Ride 2012

Name
    JC
    Bike(s)
    2010 FLHXSE

Re: Oregonian & Californian Pashnits Ride 2012

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I myself, do not have any desire to come even close to Redding. Maybe we could circle around or thru Lassen.
    OK......there's got to be a good story behind this. You want to share your Redding experience?

Mt. Lassen loop is a nice ride but not much in the way of real mountain roads on that loop around the mountain unless you go futher south to the Feather River Canyon or somewhere like that. The more traditional mountain roads are west of I-5.

Anyway.....I was just trying to give some feedback on a ride that offered a little bit of everything.

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    2013 Victory XCT

Quote Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
    OK......there's got to be a good story behind this. You want to share your Redding experience?

Mt. Lassen loop is a nice ride but not much in the way of real mountain roads on that loop around the mountain unless you go futher south to the Feather River Canyon or somewhere like that. The more traditional mountain roads are west of I-5.

Anyway.....I was just trying to give some feedback on a ride that offered a little bit of everything.
    No big story about Redding. I will be on a vacation ride and don't like big cities or hot weather if I don't have to. Maybe we could do Skibold route clockwise and skirt Redding via Keswick Dam Rd to the north in the morning.

Is there any place to stop for lunch on 3 or do we need to go all the way to Weed?

Has anyone been on IP Road off 3 that comes out at Weed?

What does everyone else think?
    KEN

Name
    Bonnie
    Bike(s)
    2009 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    No big story about Redding. I will be on a vacation ride and don't like big cities or hot weather if I don't have to. Maybe we could do Skibold route clockwise and skirt Redding via Keswick Dam Rd to the north in the morning.

Is there any place to stop for lunch on 3 or do we need to go all the way to Weed?

Has anyone been on IP Road off 3 that comes out at Weed?

What does everyone else think?
    KEN
    The maps that have been posted so far have been my doing. See post #25 in this thread for my original ideas. If we are to do a route west of I-5, it would be best to do the second one in post #25. Ken, we could definitely do it clockwise and avoid central Redding on various roads. On that loop, we could do lunch in Etna, at the brewery (they make their own root beer!). Food is great.

JCZ is right that the best twisties are west of I-5. There are destinations that folks will want to visit on the east side, though, especially if they don't get up this way often - I'm thinking Burney Falls and Lassen Park, for sure. One of the loops I cooked up was to the south from Burney, down through Lassen, then making a figure 8 down towards Quincy then back up. That would be a good one, but long.

Name
    JC
    Bike(s)
    2010 FLHXSE

Quote Originally Posted by GeoNorskie View Post
    The maps that have been posted so far have been my doing. See post #25 in this thread for my original ideas. If we are to do a route west of I-5, it would be best to do the second one in post #25. Ken, we could definitely do it clockwise and avoid central Redding on various roads. On that loop, we could do lunch in Etna, at the brewery (they make their own root beer!). Food is great.

JCZ is right that the best twisties are west of I-5. There are destinations that folks will want to visit on the east side, though, especially if they don't get up this way often - I'm thinking Burney Falls and Lassen Park, for sure. One of the loops I cooked up was to the south from Burney, down through Lassen, then making a figure 8 down towards Quincy then back up. That would be a good one, but long.
    Bonnie this is a great idea and a great route that has a little something for every type of rider! Love the Trinity Alps!

(See the second rout on this post)
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showpos...3&postcount=25

Kind of a long ride for the day however, we're more interested in the scenic rides and the Trinity Alps than we are on the east side. And, probably a little cooler on that side of the valley, too.

Ken's asked for others input regarding ride routes however, not much response other than Bonnie and I. Not sure why that is.....maybe people just aren't that familiar with this area? If you're signed up (reserved) for this ride, would you please post your thoughts (yes, no, maybe, great route, I don't care, what are we talkin bout.......something, please!)?

Thanks a bunch everybody, in advance, for your input.

Name
    RON
    Bike(s)
    2008 HARLEY

I agree Burney Falls and Lassen Park are good to see, but I have not been on the west side of 5 in awhile and I think it would be a good ride for everyone. I really am not particular about the route just want to ride. I will be going through Lassen Park on my way up, a little longer but at least I'll be off 5 before Redding.

Pashnit's old ZX11 owner ZX11Steve's Avatar
    Name
    Stephen
    Bike(s)
    Tim's old ZX11

still hoping to make the ride; have the vacation days plugged in at my current job; HOPE i get this other job then its more of a risk. Would be able to zip down friday night and at least catch Saturday and Sunday home... time will tell....
    Stephen Hansen
    USAF Ret.

94 ZX11D (Pashnit's old ZX11)
    93 Harley Davidson Fatboy
    Inherited it from my brother

Name
    Bonnie
    Bike(s)
    2009 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by sglide4me View Post
    I agree Burney Falls and Lassen Park are good to see, but I have not been on the west side of 5 in awhile and I think it would be a good ride for everyone. I really am not particular about the route just want to ride. I will be going through Lassen Park on my way up, a little longer but at least I'll be off 5 before Redding.
    Good thought, Ron, that those coming from the south can hit Lassen on the way up or back. The stretch of 89 between Old Station and the 89/299 intersection is rather straight, but quite scenic as it runs next to Hat Creek. I do recommend getting off 5 and heading into the hills once you get north of Sacramento - it will get hotter in the valley as you head north.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11Steve View Post
    still hoping to make the ride; have the vacation days plugged in at my current job; HOPE i get this other job then its more of a risk. Would be able to zip down friday night and at least catch Saturday and Sunday home... time will tell....
    Steve, we'll keep our fingers on one hand crossed that you can make it and the fingers on the other hand crossed that you get the new job.

Playing the low notes 2 Ally House's Avatar
    Name
    Ally
    Bike(s)
    FZ1

Steve, what Bonnie said. I keep sending good thoughts your way.

I am so looking forward to this ride, not just for the ride, but for the time spent hanging out after the ride. Love my pashnit friends!!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither'
    Benj. Franklin

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki C109T

Quote Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
    Bonnie this is a great idea and a great route that has a little something for every type of rider! Love the Trinity Alps!

(See the second rout on this post)
    http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showpos...3&postcount=25

Kind of a long ride for the day however, we're more interested in the scenic rides and the Trinity Alps than we are on the east side. And, probably a little cooler on that side of the valley, too.

Ken's asked for others input regarding ride routes however, not much response other than Bonnie and I. Not sure why that is.....maybe people just aren't that familiar with this area? If you're signed up (reserved) for this ride, would you please post your thoughts (yes, no, maybe, great route, I don't care, what are we talkin bout.......something, please!)?

Thanks a bunch everybody, in advance, for your input.
    Ok I will respond to the route and no I am not to familier with the area. Been to Lassen but have no problem doing it again. All I would reuquest would to keep the ride out of the heat as much as possible. I live in the heat and like the mountains as get away.

Name
    JC
    Bike(s)
    2010 FLHXSE

Quote Originally Posted by Skibold View Post
    Ok I will respond to the route and no I am not to familier with the area. Been to Lassen but have no problem doing it again. All I would reuquest would to keep the ride out of the heat as much as possible. I live in the heat and like the mountains as get away.
    Too late in the year for that. 94F here in Sacramento today. In the Corps they'd tell us it's just mind of matter thing. So it's really

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information