Thread: Getting ready for the great adventure

Name
    Jerry
    Bike(s)
    07HondaVTX1300R

Re: Getting ready for the great adventure

awesome
    Jerry age 65 of Flower Mound, TX
    '07 VTX 1300R; AMA; GWRRA; IBA:SS2000, 4X SS1000, TX1000, BB1500, Nat'l PK Tour, Lk Superior Circle Tour; Overseas Brats Assoc; NRA; TSRA; ORA; GOA; CCRKBA

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

April 24th, woke up this morning in Vicksburg MS, to a HUGE blue sky. Had a light breakfast and headed over to the Vicksburg National Battlefield. Vicksburg was one of the key victories of the Union Army coinciding with the Confederate loss at Gettysburg July 4th 1863.

My friend Bob Kendal who rode in from Greenville SC to meet up, rode with me through the park. Here are some links to some photos I took

This is a 360 looking from the Union Canon toward the Illinois Memorial.
    http://360.io/QggZQt

This a 360 from the heights overlooking the Mississippi River
    http://360.io/DDUr62

These are some of the monuments that we saw..
    http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Another Fantastic Day.. Each one is better than the day before.

Name
    Jerry
    Bike(s)
    07HondaVTX1300R

I am glad you got to go through the battlefield. It took me three stops to finally really see the park in detail. If you are a battlefield person you have some good ones coming up. It you are far enough north Chickamauga at Ft. Oglethorpe in northen Georgia (if you are up the Russel's Cave in Alabama is interesting). In northern South Carolina is Cowpens and Guilford Court House. Just a suggestion. Too bad we can't see them all. By the way if you are 62 you can get a senior pass to national parks good for life. I got one last year but only have used it once. Sure wish I would have been old enough when I did the IBA Master Traveler National Parks Tour. Keep the pics coming.
    Jerry age 65 of Flower Mound, TX
    '07 VTX 1300R; AMA; GWRRA; IBA:SS2000, 4X SS1000, TX1000, BB1500, Nat'l PK Tour, Lk Superior Circle Tour; Overseas Brats Assoc; NRA; TSRA; ORA; GOA; CCRKBA

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Well here I set... St Petersburg Florida, 14th day of my journey 3595 miles from the start. For all that I imagined it would be like, it has exceeded it. I've woken up every morning excited about the prospect of what would happen durning the day, and layed down at night exhausted and satasified by the outcome of it. This is truly an adventure of a lifetime.
    Its been a great time for reflection, a great time for that solitude that only the open road and a motorcycle under you can give and each morning I get up renewed and ready for the day to come.
    Sure there are the aches and pains of 8-10 hours in the saddle, but even that makes the journey worth it. Someone said to me a few months ago, "It will be hard" and I replied "If it was easy everyone would do it"
    Today a 380 mile run along the Florida Coast from Panama City to St Petersburg and with a 1/2 mile left to the hotel.. The skies opened and dumped on me and all I could do was SMILE.

Here's a picture I took of my bike at Mexico Beach near Panama City this morning. Kind of sums it all up.

It's hard to explain, but this has become a ride that is more than open road and passing scenery. It's become more of a ride of reflection and making new friendship and reestablishing old ones.
    Its learing to appreciate the beauty around me. The wonderful differences between those in the West and those in the Southwest and those in the South (so far). How to say Nawlins and Luziana correctly. How to watch the sun come up over Mobile Bay. The excitement of making new friends. Meeting people for the first time. Yeah, I know I'm getting a little sappy, but the end of my 2nd week on the road has had me reflecting today.

Thanks to all my friends for their encouragement, especially Gordon Sanders who's help was invaluable. Thanks to everyone that has followed this adventure on the webpage as well as here and a couple of other forums.

Now to head into week 3 and see what awaits..

Thanks Again
    Tim

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Since I have a little time this morning while I relax I edited a little road video that I took in Mississippi. The road from Grand Gulf Military Park back to MS 61 gives you an idea of the riding I've been doing.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3AytgYf7s"]Grand Gulf to MS 61 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Since I have a little time this morning while I relax I edited a little road video that I took in Mississippi. The road from Grand Gulf Military Park back to MS 61 gives you an idea of the riding I've been doing.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3AytgYf7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3AytgYf7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3AytgYf7s"]Grand Gulf to MS 61 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Playing the low notes 2 Ally House's Avatar
    Name
    Ally
    Bike(s)
    FZ1

What an amazing journey you're having. Keep the posts coming!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither'
    Benj. Franklin

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Today will conclude the 3rd week of my trip around the country.For those of you that haven't followed the webpage, here is the link.
    I'll be in Greenville S.C. for a few days with my friend Bob Kendall who is going to take me on some local roads. I'll also be doing some bike maintenance before pressing on north into North Carolina and Virginia. This trip has exceeded my expectations and every day I'm just as excited as the first to see what I'll encounter.

http://stubbeadventures.weebly.com/f...--journal.html

4390 Miles and 3 weeks on the road and I want more of the same.

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    FJR1300,Ural Gear Up

Go Tim! Glad to hear that your trip is going so well.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Here is a little ride video I made on Sunday..
    From Caesar's Head State Park North Carolina to SC-11 in South Carolina

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EsGlWiGHgM"]Riding South Carolina.wmv - YouTube[/nomedia]

Thread Information