2.5 in REI Sleeping Pad
    GoKot
    Pico Chair (I love it)
    Cooking Gear Pots, Utensils, stoves, Spices etc
    Misc Camping stuff.
    First Aid Kit
    Hammock

I'm going to set it all out on the driveway and take a picture
    The reason I was asking what is in the trailer is to see how important it is to you. Most people that pull trailers behind their bike are pulling a base camp setup. They will set up base-camp and take the bike without the trailer on routes around camp.
    I think you will loose a lot of the freedom that a motorcycle gives you, by pulling the trailer on a long distance trip. Plus, you will also loose needed gas mileage.
    Think about it. Get smaller, backpack style camping gear.
    Also; as you go east; the campgrounds get more expensive. A cheep motel will be close or equal to a campground.

Re: Getting ready for the great adventure

Thanks for your concern.. I pulled this little trailer 9700 miles this year. I hauled it up to Edison Lake on a Goat Road, I've taken it on some pretty twisty roads and a lot of switchbacks, most of the Sierra mountain passes etc. I've road tested the gear and I'm pretty compact.. The trailer only weighes about 230 lbs loaded so not much more than another rider.
    I found the setup hasn't reduced my freedom at all. There are several places where I will pitch tent and use it as a base for rides in the area. Other places I will rent a small cabin still others I'll hotel it.
    The great thing about this trip is I've been able to take my time planning, aquiring and road testings my gear as well as research camping,campgrounds,hotels,motels,cabins etc. Something I continue to do, though I'm not getting down to a timeline, I don't want that constriction.
    If this trip had time constraints, I'd probably agree with you, but since time is the last thing I'm concerned with, I'm fine

Anyway ... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    The reason I was asking what is in the trailer is to see how important it is to you. Most people that pull trailers behind their bike are pulling a base camp setup. They will set up base-camp and take the bike without the trailer on routes around camp.
    I think you will loose a lot of the freedom that a motorcycle gives you, by pulling the trailer on a long distance trip. Plus, you will also loose needed gas mileage.
    Think about it. Get smaller, backpack style camping gear.
    Also; as you go east; the campgrounds get more expensive. A cheep motel will be close or equal to a campground.

I'm SURE you will have a GREAT ADVENTURE.
    My trip across the USA was a dream come true vacation. My trip was only 3 weeks. I can only imagine (and dream) of a 12 week riding trip.
    If you could share some of your destinations (state by state) that would give us some ideas also. Maybe even some constructive feed back too.

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Quote Originally Posted by RCLafnjack View Post

I could leave today, cept, I don't really want to be on the east coast in the DEAD OF WINTER...
    Just talked to a good friend in New Hampshire and it's Brrr cold but no weather.(Just like here) I have a feeling when we do get some it's gonna be a barnstormer.

I did a trip to Ohio last Easter & rode in the rain for almost a week. I still had fun but it definitely curtailed some of my plans. Good gear & a good mind set helps. Sounds like you are very well prepared.

I can hardly wait either & it's your ride!!!

Thank you...
    One of the things I have discovered over this last year, when I really started getting into the planing was how much fun just the planning was. Roadtesting gear, finding destinations, talking with people on forums about ideas and experiences. Making new friends.. Heck I'm even getting offers of a bed along the route. This makes it even more exciting. If someone had told me in 2006 I'd be riding a motorcycle 12,000 miles around the U.S. I would have told them they needed to find some professional care. Now, My horizons have expanded and I'm on a quest for the extraordinary. People ask me.. "Gee Tim, after this, what will you do?" and my eyes just light up
    I just got a book called "Passion in the Wind - Dream, Believe, and Achieve the Extraordinary" by Alan Leduc
    It's about 2 riders one 68 and one 60 that rode 23,000 miles in 48 days. It's a marvelous story and riviting read.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWitch View Post
    Just talked to a good friend in New Hampshire and it's Brrr cold but no weather.(Just like here) I have a feeling when we do get some it's gonna be a barnstormer.

I did a trip to Ohio last Easter & rode in the rain for almost a week. I still had fun but it definitely curtailed some of my plans. Good gear & a good mind set helps. Sounds like you are very well prepared.

I can hardly wait either & it's your ride!!!

Great
    43 years in one place. WOW! Not many can say that. You have earned a 4 corners, 10 week, retirement trip! I'll keep up with you on your blog.
    Jerry age 65 of Flower Mound, TX
    '07 VTX 1300R, AMA, GWRRA, IBA(4X SS1000, TX1000, BB1500, Nat'l PK Tour), Lake Superior Circle Tour, Overseas Brats Association, NRA, TSRA, ORA, GOA, CCRKBA

Quote Originally Posted by Leroys73 View Post
    Great
    43 years in one place. WOW! Not many can say that. You have earned a 4 corners, 10 week, retirement trip! I'll keep up with you on your blog.
    thanks.. Same company but several different jobs.. Mail Messenger, Lineman, Splicer, Repair tech, Line Assigner then into IT in the 80's. worked several projects. So it wasn't like I did the same thing each day for 43 years.

Noticed you were from Dallas. I have a good friend Vietnam War buddy that lives in Ennis, Tx that I will be visiting while on the road

Just a note, you might notice today 1/18 from 8am EST to 8pm EST that many websites have gone dark over the pending SOPA/PIPA legislation that is being proposed in Congress. http://stubbeadventures.weebly.com will also be dark for that time.
    These proposed laws are akin to bulldozing a town to get rid of the crack house on the corner. Tell your representitives this is unacceptable!!!...

Thanks

congrats .. this looks like one of those must read ride reports..
    I wish you a safe and fantastic journey ..
    oh btw, your photo gallery page is stretching all the pics .. can you fix it.. ?
    ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_o View Post
    congrats .. this looks like one of those must read ride reports..
    I wish you a safe and fantastic journey ..
    oh btw, your photo gallery page is stretching all the pics .. can you fix it.. ?
    The same pictures on in the archive section, those pics will all go away once the trip starts. Just filler right now.

Thread Information