Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the great adventure

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    05 Triumph Tiger

Re: Getting ready for the great adventure

Tim, maybe you could share with us how you came to choose the bike you will be riding on this trip.
    Mike Benzon
    Burney, CA
    11 Triumph Rocket Roadster
    05 Triumph Tiger
    IBA # 7666

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Benzon View Post
    Tim, maybe you could share with us how you came to choose the bike you will be riding on this trip.
    I discovered my love for long rides in 2006 when I had my vstar1100. Did several up and down the state. The only thing was (for me) not all that comfortable. I started looking around for something that would be good for those long trips. I didn't particularly like the sitting position of the dual sports. I started looking at Ventures and RSTD. One reason was the 5 year unlimited mile warrantee. I found a new 07 RSTD in 09 and got it for $9999. Seemed a good price. GEZZZZ it was a big bike compared to the vstar.. The first long trip I took was to Yellowstone. WOW... I found that 8-10 hour days in the saddle were pretty easy on the RSTD. The more I rode it the more I liked it. While I worked I was a full time telecommuter so the only miles I put on the bike were pleasure miles. Since I added the trailer, this bike pulls the trailer like a dream I have to look back on occasion to see if its still there. Last year I pulled the trailer about 9700 miles through 7 states and most of the Sierra Passes. Added about 5k without the trailer just riding around.
    I"m extremely comfortable with the bike and trailer set up and have the added comfort of a decent warrantee incase something goes bad.

hope this help.

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    2013 Victory XCT

Quote Originally Posted by RCLafnjack View Post
    I discovered my love for long rides in 2006 when I had my vstar1100. Did several up and down the state. The only thing was (for me) not all that comfortable. I started looking around for something that would be good for those long trips. I didn't particularly like the sitting position of the dual sports. I started looking at Ventures and RSTD. One reason was the 5 year unlimited mile warrantee. I found a new 07 RSTD in 09 and got it for $9999. Seemed a good price. GEZZZZ it was a big bike compared to the vstar.. The first long trip I took was to Yellowstone. WOW... I found that 8-10 hour days in the saddle were pretty easy on the RSTD. The more I rode it the more I liked it. While I worked I was a full time telecommuter so the only miles I put on the bike were pleasure miles. Since I added the trailer, this bike pulls the trailer like a dream I have to look back on occasion to see if its still there. Last year I pulled the trailer about 9700 miles through 7 states and most of the Sierra Passes. Added about 5k without the trailer just riding around.
    I"m extremely comfortable with the bike and trailer set up and have the added comfort of a decent warrantee incase something goes bad.

hope this help.
    Comfort is what it's all about. Nothing like sitting in an easy chair going down the road.
    Note: check your warranty paperwork to see if your bike is covered while towing a trailer.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Comfort is what it's all about. Nothing like sitting in an easy chair going down the road.
    Note: check your warranty paperwork to see if your bike is covered while towing a trailer.
    Talked to my dealer.. No issue .. Actually the my dealer did the wiring harness for the bike...

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

60 days to go!!!! everything is ready... Damn.. I got the planning finished too soon and I"m chomp'n at the bit to leave.

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    2013 Victory XCT

60 days to go!!!! everything is ready... Damn.. I got the planning finished too soon and I"m chomp'n at the bit to leave.
    The weather is probably good enough to do a short shake down ride for the hell of it.

Name
    Jerry
    Bike(s)
    07HondaVTX1300R

I know what you mean. My first big trip after getting back in motorcycling (after 26 years) I started planning when I bought my motorcycle over a year before the trip. I made lists of what to take and places to see and maybe sleep. I was all but packed two months before the trip. I could hardly sit still. I was afraid I "peaked" too early. The trip went great. I am excited for you.
    Jerry age 65 of Flower Mound, TX
    '07 VTX 1300R; AMA; GWRRA; IBA:SS2000, 4X SS1000, TX1000, BB1500, Nat'l PK Tour, Lk Superior Circle Tour; Overseas Brats Assoc; NRA; TSRA; ORA; GOA; CCRKBA

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

Quote Originally Posted by Leroys73 View Post
    I was afraid I "peaked" too early. .
    Ain't that the truth. I've stopped packing and re-packing the trailer only to do it mentally several times a day. Honestly I could pull the bike out hook up the trailer, add some ice and leave right now. Literally.

I have a couple of weekend shake downs planned in the next 60 days. Perhaps Death Valley, or Joshua Tree... Of course a lot will depend on the weather since California is in the middle of the Wet Season.

I think without the help of people on forums like this, it would have been much more difficult. I appreciate all the help and encouragement.

Thanks

Tim

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Tim, nice website. I am looking forward to following your adventure!
    Love Steve Winwood, btw...great song!
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    07 Royal Star TD

UPDATE:
    With 21 days to go before I head out on this trip everything seems to be going pretty smoothly, frighteningly so in fact. Getting new rubber on the bike Tuesday and tune up (syncing carbs) also. The Trailer has been packed and repacked and all the gear has been loaded or staged for loading.
    I kinda know how the astronauts felt before they launched, though this is no Moon orbit by any stretch. One can't over plan or check.
    Severe weather still troubles me, but if I have to hole up someplace or change direction, it can be easily done. I don't really have a timeline which makes the trip pretty flexible.
    I keep waiting for some snag, but so far its been a clear path to D-Day.
    The webpage is getting a lot of hits and I have been getting many "Good Trip" wishes and its very encouraging.

Thanks Everyone

Tim
    http://stubbeadventures.weebly.com

Thread Information