Thread: 2012 H.D. Switchback Saddlebags

Name
    todd
    Bike(s)
    H.D. Dyna

2012 H.D. Switchback Saddlebags

Both of my saddlebags have fallen off now, in less than 2 weeks. I have 5000 miles on my bike, with at least 4500 of them with the bags attached. I bought the bike in September. The first time I thought it was my fault, somehow. The 2nd incident happened this week. The "other" bag was barely hanging on when I pulled into a gas station on a recent road trip. I reattached it and triple checked that it was locked. I then continued on the freeway where at about 90mph and only 20 miles later, the bag fell off again. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, because I can't help but feel like this is a warranty issue and NOT user error. I am hoping to build my case when I go to the dealership. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Harley Davidson 2003 Sportster 1200 Custom, 2006 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic

Re: 2012 H.D. Switchback Saddlebags

Since I haven't looked at one in person, I will make a couple guesses on this.

1st, even HD Baggers looses a bag once in a while.
    2nd, I assume these bags attach just like the bags on a Bagger, the 1/4 turn quick fastners?
    3rd, make it a warrany issue, be relentless witht he Dealer. Never talk about how fast you went, just that they fall off when travelling down the road. Don't give up, call HD customer service & complain continually to them. If it's happening to you, it is happening to others & HD will deny it

On the Baggers what happens is the wires that the quick turn pin lock into are weak & get weaker. My guess is the Dyna has more vibration & just lets the 1/4 turn fastner let go easier.

There is another issue that has always been here but seem worse lately & that is Bag theft. If the Bags are unlocked it it 10 seond to steal them, If they are locked it may take 30 seconds. Moral to the story, the 1/4 turn quick connects are crap.

Here are a couple links with more info & what to do to replace the 1/4 turn qucik connects.
    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=70057.0
    http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51150.0
    Bill (SklyWag)
    There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Name
    todd
    Bike(s)
    H.D. Dyna

Re: 2012 H.D. Switchback Saddlebags

thanks SklyWag, great advice I am hoping to gather a few other instances as back up. I will call HD on Tuesday and plead my case. I just hope
    I don't get stuck with the bill.

Thread Information