Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fair price???

fair price???

Hi everyone.

I am having the pistons, rings and others (basic engine rebuild stuff) done to my 91' CB 750.

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of a fair cost for these repairs. (ballpark guess is cool, I know I don't have many repair details.) I am using a new tech and I want to make sure he is not screwing me too hard.

Thanks...
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at people!

Re: fair price???

Also the mechanic is complaining about not being able to remove the head. Any ideas why a mechanic would have a difficulty with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum View Post
    Any ideas why a mechanic would have a difficulty with that?
    He doesn't know what he is doing. Find a different mechanic before he gets into your engine.

As for cost, can't really help you much on that one - time will depend a lot on what all needs to be done ... if you are doing a top end only, rings and valve job ... I am going to guess maybe 10 to 12 hours total engine out, top end freshened up and back in on that bike. What is he charging an hour?
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

2cents What is a fair price???

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum View Post
    Also the mechanic is complaining about not being able to remove the head. Any ideas why a mechanic would have a difficulty with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
    He doesn't know what he is doing. Find a different mechanic before he gets into your engine.
    Josef ~

I am assuming you are in H.K. so, unless your bike has been sitting out in the rain for the last 10 years and the motor is locked up with rust, I agree wholeheartedly with Dan...

Does this "mechanic" have any factory certification or degree from a Tech School ??

As for pricing, I'd just call a couple of dealers to get a ballpark figure (as long as they aren't like the prima-donnas here that won't work on bikes that are older than 10 years) and trust your gut.
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

Good

Fast

Cheap

Pick two.

Hey Dan, yep, it's top-end stuff, rings and valves. He claims the bolts that hold the head to the block are very corroded and impossible to remove, "without damaging the head."
    In the next day or two I'll be sending the motor to a machinist I know and see if the mech. is full of it, or legit.
    Bruce, I was also concerned about the qualifications, but I AM in Hong Kong. This usually means that our copy-right issues are a bit different. They have the right to copy what ever they want. From my experience that includes tech qualification documents and licenses and such.
    With that being said, Hong Kong is definitely the leader of throw away societies. Nothing is saved here... It's so bad that you can purchase used exotic cars at a TINY fraction of their worth. (still out of my budget, sadly)
    The fact that I have found someone to even work on the bike is pretty rare. Most shops here are for "R&R." (remove and replace)

Has anyone heard of a 21 year old bike who's head bolts are corroded shut? I know that sounds funny, but the rest of the bike is pretty much rust free...

So bummed, I just want my bike back and running properly.

Corroded? Yes. Corroded to the point of "damaging the head" ... no. I guess anything is possible, but I rebuilt a 71 Triumph Trident Triple once that was sitting next to the ocean for 20 years and with a little patience and penetrating oil, everything come loose just fine. This was not a runner, yours is. Sounds like it is tough to find a mechanic in your area, but I really would take my bike back from this guy before he really hoses things.
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Couldn't you go on the CB 750 Forum, download the work manual, and have a go yourself? Or, try and find an "old school" tech used to working on Japanese bikes. Or, take the shop manual to the tech. Just suggesting. I had to find a new tech after 8 years and found a shop near me with a Honda trained technician who's been wrenching bike for over 25 years. He's done an excellent job for me. Good Luck

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/

I see you already joined, :-)

I've learned that the tech is on the level, it's the A--h-le service/sales manager who was messing around with me...

The service/sales manager told the tech to drag his heels to try and pressure me to say, "hell with it." and buy another bike... A--HOLE!!!

Just so happened that I got sick of it, and I told the tech that I was coming to his shop to separate the head myself. GUESS WHAT, magically the engine was disassembled by the time I got there.

When the tech saw how angry I was he let me in on the story, asking me not to tell the service/sales manager that he told me. It's all about the BULL-S--T saving face phenomenon here. God help these people if they took responsibility for their actions!

The motor should be at the machinist today getting the head resurfaced.

Should have the bike back in less than a week... NICE since it's been gone for 4 MONTHS!!!

GIVE ME MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information