Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Tour Loop - 2012

Name
    Jeff
    Bike(s)
    2008 Goldwing GL1800

Re: Northwest Tour Loop - 2012

When you get around S/W Oregon, I highly recommend going to the Oregon Caves National Park. Incredible stuff.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...ult_group&sa=X

Name
    Greg
    Bike(s)
    FJR, FZ1, BMW F800GS

Thank you all for your very meaty replies. As usual, Pashnites do not disappoint.

My initial (1st post) map was the "rough route" so, yes, admittedly not the best motorcycle roads. That's why I put out this request for "enhancements."

Here's the modified route, to date. Wish I knew more about how to work Google maps to suppress the edit handles. (And wish it weren't so buggy on long routes, where it often drops the last segments when saving, forcing me to break it up.)

Johnny--
    You always have great input, and this is no exception. The Beartooth Highway looks fantastic. I've done the Burr Trail switchbacks and the Moki Dugway, so it looks like I need to add this to my collection of "Giant Switchbacks of the West." The scale of these make the previous ones look small (though to be fair, those were unpaved).

Vincent--
    Yes, the trek across Nevada is boring, and I've done Hwy 50 before (no-thanks for the winds). Like last year's Utah-AZ trip, this will be a combined bike / truck trek (wife as support crew), and we'll truck the sections (likely only this one) that are hardly worth the ride. Like across Northern Nevada, to Wells.

This works great, having ironed out the kinks (ouch).

Hell, yeah. Having ridden for 40 years, I can coast backwards over the gap where my feet don't reach the ground. Ummm...no.

Having come up with a solution and now having done this about 10 times, it's in the bag.

Yay! No broken bones!

----The subject for another thread, I challenge anyone to show me a video of getting one of these tall bikes out of a truck, standing alongside it and backing it down a ramp. Solo.

Helmet-to-truck radio provides conversational level communications, and it's good for upwards of 20 miles ( ! ) separation with no repeaters. Works great.

================
    Back to topic:

Tom--
    Your suggestion of Hwy 12 from Missoula, Mt and Lewiston, ID is perfect, and just what I was looking for. Thanks!

JC and Donna --
    My map bypasses Twin Falls, but I should probably bring it back into the loop. Similar distance, and from what I see on Google Earth, pretty. Your suggestion of the Chief Joseph Hwy is great. Thanks for that. Will combine with Beartooth to add to my collection of Giant Switchbacks of the West.

Martin--
    It was already in the plan to "do" the East-West section of the Columbia River Gorge. This quarter's Escape (motorcycle) Magazine has a nice article on attractions in that segment. Wouldn't miss it. Thank you! I suspect we'll have to travel Westward to see everything, and then backtrack East again to turn South towards Bend.
    And, yes, your suggestion of Hwy 36 is an improvement on Hwy 20, which, after the coast range, is kind of tedious, anyway.

Steve and Marty--
    I've decided to take the inland route, approximately through Bend to Crater Lake, before cutting across to the coast. The short segment of coast hwy from there, South to Eureka and to Hwy 36 will be plenty of coast for me. That useless ocean makes it Winter all the time there, anyway, in my experience. I don't need any more than that. Seven weeks before this trip, I'll have done the southern portion of the coast Hwy 1 from SLO to Santa Cruz, anyway. Enough ocean, already...

Jeff--
    I'll do some reading about the Oregon Caves. Thanks!

-----

Haven't yet plotted out how many days or the total milage.

The real kudos go to Sharon, my wife, who, at this point, has more twisty miles in that dang F-150 than I do! I don't envy her that, but it _was_ her idea, and it worked great for 9 days last Summer in Utah/AZ/Calif.

This 2012 NW trip is a work in progress. Thank you all for your great input.

Greg

Name
    Marty
    Bike(s)
    Ducati MTS 1200s

an easier way for you to share maps is to use the link instead of grabbing a screen shot. that way we can zoom in/out for detail and make other recommendations.

this is done easily using the "link" command as shown in the red circle. if you check the Short URL option you get a nice tidy short link to your map like this one of Lolo Pass.

http://g.co/maps/aecfh
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Greg
    Bike(s)
    FJR, FZ1, BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by martys View Post
    an easier way for you to share maps is to use the link instead of grabbing a screen shot. that way we can zoom in/out for detail and make other recommendations.

this is done easily using the "link" command as shown in the red circle. if you check the Short URL option you get a nice tidy short link to your map like this one of Lolo Pass.
    That is a great suggestion. However, since Google maps stumbles upon my attempting a LONG route, (it drops one or more 'add destination' segments when saving), it appears that I would need to link to multiple saved maps to show the whole (complex) route. Separate maps do not show the whole loop at once.

Also, I notice the more 'add destinations' segments, the slower Google maps gets, and then, not too far beyond that, it crashes, as indicated by a bunch of straight route lines instead of road-tracking routes. That's unrecoverable, in my experience, and requires that I start over. A fantastic tool, but buggy.

Still open to suggestions...

Greg
    http://www.youtube.com/riverguy9
    160+ short riding videos

Name
    Marty
    Bike(s)
    Ducati MTS 1200s

Quote Originally Posted by riverguy9 View Post
    That is a great suggestion. However, since Google maps stumbles upon my attempting a LONG route, (it drops one or more 'add destination' segments when saving), it appears that I would need to link to multiple saved maps to show the whole (complex) route. Separate maps do not show the whole loop at once.

Also, I notice the more 'add destinations' segments, the slower Google maps gets, and then, not too far beyond that, it crashes, as indicated by a bunch of straight route lines instead of road-tracking routes. That's unrecoverable, in my experience, and requires that I start over. A fantastic tool, but buggy.

Still open to suggestions...

Greg
    yup this is a very real limitation of gmaps. I tend to plan segments on trips this long. you still can't see the whole loop but at least its usable.

Name
    Ken
    Bike(s)
    2013 Victory XCT

Here is a north to south route thru Oregon you might enjoy.
    http://g.co/maps/qc5fa

Name
    Marty
    Bike(s)
    Ducati MTS 1200s

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Here is a north to south route thru Oregon you might enjoy.
    http://g.co/maps/qc5fa
    that's a great route, I've done most of it several times. since the route starts in Goldendale, you need to include the Mabton-Bickleton Hwy and avoid the mind numbing Rt 97.

Another option to consider is Forest Rd 42/Skyline Rd. from 26 to 224. It's just an option, but a nice one. Also glad to see you include the scenic road over Mt Bachelor, it's a beauty. One tip to anyone riding it, be sure to get gas at the Pilot in Chemult, once you turn toward Crater Lake, there's no gas until you come out the other side. Gas inside the park is at least a dollar a gallon more than outside the park.

Grand Waffle Maker
    Name
    Maximo
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT, SV650N

On the A segment, if you're going through West Yellowstone, add this little side trip:
    http://g.co/maps/7pgh3
    It's a more exciting road and has a gorgeous waterfall on the way.

An alternative to going up through West Yellowstone is to go through Jackson Hole instead. It's a bit longer, but you get to do the Teton Pass and see the Grand Tetons up close.
    http://g.co/maps/nchta

Also, when you're in the Twin Falls area, make sure to stop at Shoshone Falls
    http://g.co/maps/m3x2k

Name
    Marty
    Bike(s)
    Ducati MTS 1200s

Quote Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
    On the A segment, if you're going through West Yellowstone, add this little side trip:
    http://g.co/maps/7pgh3
    It's a more exciting road and has a gorgeous waterfall on the way.

An alternative to going up through West Yellowstone is to go through Jackson Hole instead. It's a bit longer, but you get to do the Teton Pass and see the Grand Tetons up close.
    http://g.co/maps/nchta

Also, when you're in the Twin Falls area, make sure to stop at Shoshone Falls
    http://g.co/maps/m3x2k
    Jackson Hole and Teton Pass were beautiful when I rode through them late last June. We crossed eastbound on Rt 20 through Craters of the Moon and Atomic City, home of the first nuclear reactor, then through Idaho Falls, Swan Valley and Victor.

dirtdancer
    Name
    rob
    Bike(s)
    various

Hi! I have to agree that Bear Tooth and the run from Yellowstone to Cody east is as good as it gets. Don't miss them! Kalispel MT is the prettiest part of MT and worth a detour if you have time. And a drop straight south from Spokane into the Hells Canyon area is awesome and your bike will be smiling! Go to adv.rider for some info. Roads west of Spokane are not as scenic or visual as those running west out of Baker City Ore. Staying off the slab in Northern Ore is as good as N. California! I also like the Oregon coast even with the Winniebagoes and if you have never ridden it; I would stick with your plan. Enjoy your ride!! robo

Thread Information