Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me shop! New bike alert.

Beautiful Downtown Canoga Park - A great place to live, work, and shop

Re: Help me shop! New bike alert.

Damn - wish you had posted this last month, one of the LA Bikers just sold his VStrom 650.

Being a Guzzi fan, I'd put in a +1 on the V7. You don't have to get the racer, but the V7 Classic is still a very usable motorcycle. If you would consider doing light off pavement on something like a Triumph Bonneville, then consider the V7. Definitely call Dave at MotoInternational to see what he can do for you. Also, take a look at what is currently for sale. Also take a look at the Mana 850. If it's not too tall for you, it could be the ticket. Again, depending on seat height, the Husqvarna TW630 is a sweet deal. Darn thing weighs nothing (317 lbs) and is almost too much fun - same thing with the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. Change out the tires for something a bit more dual sporty and go for it.

Oh yeah, one thing on the V7 - if you are doing a horse power comparison, the V7 comes up short. But, the torque more than makes up for it. The bike may not do 130mph, but it will keep you entertained in the canyons and is very capable on the slab as well.

jdg
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge - the fast, sexy, red one
    2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE - Rocky
    1999 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
    1976 Honda CJ30T - Vintage riding at it's best?

Quote Originally Posted by demenshea View Post

So these are the other bikes I am pondering. I want lighter...more flickable, but still the ability to tour long days in the saddle and some power, but less weight!

Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Suzuki SV650 or 650S
    Ducati 1200 Multistrada
    Anything I am overlooking???
    Well I do know first hand that the Ninja & Suzy 650s are pretty cool medium weight bikes to ride local or hit the road on...very flickable in the twisties yet stable on slab. However, I'm not sure how they fair overall when you got luggage, but if you're a light packer these bikes are a gem.

DL1000? If you're used to a Bandit 1200 a 650/800 might be a bit skimpy on power. I've heard the "Big" V-strom has a pretty sweet torque curve and everyone on the forums says it's a 100K engine.

Playing the low notes 2 Ally House's Avatar

I think that you'd do well to look at the 1000's--the Kawi 1000 or the FZ1 with some givis might do the trick...not as heavy as the Bandito, with the power you're used to.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither'
    Benj. Franklin

Oh my little Hooligan, ya know what I am gonna say... When you start thinking clearly, you will see the vision, the light & you will come to the bright side & buy a Harley.

Just think how cool you will look on a CVO Street Glide or "Go all the Way" and get a CVO Ultra Classic. The black leathers, the head turning looks, give it up Girl, it's just you!

You know you want it, stop fighting it, go for it, the finest ride there is.....

Just sayin
    Bill (SklyWag)
    There are too many roads for one lifetime...

howling at the moon coyotebros2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
    ...my thoughts exactly!! After the forest service roads in OR last year with Notarian...i need something that isn't a fully loaded sport tourer for the dirty side. I only succeeded in making the bike dirty on the left bags and turn signal ... if you know what i mean. Ya, i am seriously considering the F650GS.

Another place to shop.
    heh -- my next bike is the GS800 --- but I am 6'3" --- it is going to be fun to see where you end up. Wish my wife told me I had to go find a new bike

2cents Help me shop! New bike alert.

IMHO your biggest obstacle will be the ability to do some "extended" test rides....that will tell you what you will eventually end up with.

Walt brought home a Versys a couple of weeks ago....nice unit but TALL !!
    I don't know what options are available to shorten/lower it to make it "Donna Approved"

IF you end up drinking the Kool-Aid and come over to "our side" of the moto gene pool, I know where you can get a smokin' deal on a 2010 F800GS that's been properly set up and outfitted already.
    It's a one-owner bike and he's a BMW Factory Certified Technician
    He wants $12,000 (firm) for it; if I had the dough it would be parked right next to my RT
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

Beautiful Downtown Canoga Park - A great place to live, work, and shop

Quote Originally Posted by SklyWag View Post
    Oh my little Hooligan, ya know what I am gonna say... When you start thinking clearly, you will see the vision, the light & you will come to the bright side & buy a Harley.

Just think how cool you will look on a CVO Street Glide or "Go all the Way" and get a CVO Ultra Classic. The black leathers, ass-less chaps, the head turning looks, give it up Girl, it's just you!

You know you want it, stop fighting it, go for it, the finest ride there is.....

Just sayin
    Fixed it for you

jdg
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge - the fast, sexy, red one
    2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE - Rocky
    1999 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
    1976 Honda CJ30T - Vintage riding at it's best?

Quote Originally Posted by Ally House View Post
    I think that you'd do well to look at the 1000's--the Kawi 1000 or the FZ1 with some givis might do the trick...not as heavy as the Bandito, with the power you're used to.
    I suggest you buy the Beemer! You only live once and you will no doubt be very happy (mention that to your hubby). It's only money, and if you finance it, the actual price becomes irrelevant, right?

If you definitely decide not to go over to the dirty side though, gotta agree with Ally up here ^^^^^^ . The Ninja 1000 only weighs 500 lbs. and has 126 horsepower.

But..... if you do find yourself really honing in on the Ninja 650, you owe it to yourself to also consider the Yamaha FZ6r. It has a detuned Yamaha R6 inline four cylinder engine, smoother than the two cylinder Ninja (but slightly less torque). These bikes have about 70 hp though and you're used to about 100. Both have plenty of power to haul you and your Givis around, but the suspensions would need upgrading for any serious long-range touring imo.

Just my opinion and I'm a pretty new rider... but I have given a lot of consideration to these bikes. Hope I helped a leeeeetle anyway!
    What if I told you... slower traffic use turnouts actually means slower traffic use turnouts.

After selling my CB 750 Nighthawk and being bikeless for a couple of years, I bought an '06 Ninja 650 last fall. Love how it handles, and with a Power Commander and full Muzzy exhaust the power is plenty to keep me entertained. I love the way it looks; with the black paint, red accents, fender eliminator, and shock sticking out proudly on the side, it has character.

It also has its faults. The seat is not nearly as comfortable as my Nighthawk, narrow and sloped forward. And in cold weather, what I miss most is a big windshield. I have not yet found a way to stay warm behind the "tall" Double Bubble windscreen, because the air blows right into my chest and there is NO protection for my hands. The more I ride it in the winter, the more I wish I'd bought a Honda 919 and put a big windshield and bags on it. I think Peter Egan once wrote that your new bike is revenge for your last bike. Truer words never spoken.

If you're looking for a bike with character and a little dirt capability, you may want to check out a Triumph Tiger 800. Nothing else sounds like a triple.

Thread Information