When riding SOLO on freeways/interstates, which lane do you like to ride in (number 1 being closest to center divide) and why? Any difference in which lane that you like to ride in if you are on a GROUP ride and why? Is there any common or accepted practice regarding this matter that has been put forward by experts (say in books) or organizations (say on their websites)? When SOLO I camp out in the Number 1 lane - and move to Number 2 only if someone is riding my tail or is obviously coming up quickly and traffic is light (see below). When in a GROUP I feel most comfortable being in the Number 1 lane and not moving to number 2 lane unless there is some problem with a vehicle approaching from rear.
When considering and answering the above let's assume the following:
- Your top speed (SOLO or GROUP) will not be over POSTED SPEED LIMIT plus 5MPH.
- The road is in good shape (not rough, beat up, or under construction).
- It is daylight.
- The weather is fine (no rain, no snow, good visibility, no ice, light wind).
- The traffic may be any of the following: light (folks going a bit over the above noted speed but plenty of room for all vehicles to maneuver), medium (vehicles at or just above posted speed limit and just enough room to maneuver), or heavy (traffic very dense with little room to maneuver and speed at less than posted limit).
- You are going to be on the freeway for quite some distance so there is plenty of time to get into any lane and out of it also.
- The freeway has 2, 3, or 4plus lanes (does this change your answer above).