Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solo/Group Ride Lane Position on Freeways

Re: Solo/Group Ride Lane Position on Freeways

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdag View Post
    I also like the HOV lane, but a ticket in that lane could be double the fine.
    It's quite legal in California for motorcyclists to use the so-called HOV lanes (carpool lanes).

I started looking for CA, MA and FL, and began to see some mention that there's an overriding Federal law that mandates that legality in all states. I did not dig deeper to confirm that, but HOV use all comes from Federal laws stemming from the '73-'74 fuel crisis, so it makes sense.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by riverguy9 View Post
    It's quite legal in California for motorcyclists to use the so-called HOV lanes (carpool lanes).

I started looking for CA, MA and FL, and began to see some mention that there's an overriding Federal law that mandates that legality in all states. I did not dig deeper to confirm that, but HOV use all comes from Federal laws stemming from the '73-'74 fuel crisis, so it makes sense.

Greg
    Yes - I know that it is legal in CA: Motorcycles: CHP site.
    "Solo motorcyclists can use HOV lanes (and most HOT lanes) without a decal unless otherwise posted. Motorcyclists cannot ride on, in, or over solid double lines."

I have seen signs, posted on the left side of carpool lanes, stating the violations are doubled. I am assuming it meant traffic violations such as speeding, crossing over the double yellow lines etc.

Quote Originally Posted by riverguy9 View Post

Greg
    Considering the fuel crisis of 2012, they should pass a law that says only motorcycles can use HOV lanes....it only makes sense.

Thread Information