Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone or Bust

Yellowstone or Bust

Hi All,
    I'm looking for information on a trip to Yellowstone this summer. I live in Manteca Calif. I wasn't sure what sites people are using for route planning, available services lodging etc.
    I will be doing this trip 2 up not sure if additional friends will be joining us. This will be our first multi-state road trip so advice is appreciated, we have ridden in the past multi day trips to San Diego and back.
    Regards
    Mario

Re: Yellowstone or Bust

Yellowstone is AWESOME! When in the summer are you going, Mario, and for how many days? Hoteling, I assume?

Watch your speed...the limit throughout the park is 45 mph and the Rangers take it very seriously.

Hi,
    Most likely late June or July,if July right after the fourth. Motels will be our choice for lodgeing.

Not too sure where to start. There are lots of ways to get there and things to see along the way. Riding north on US395 to US20, then east to Idaho Falls and Jackson, is a very nice trip and better than I-80.

You can base out of one place or try several. Outside the park, Jackson, Cody and Red Lodge all have something to offer. Get some reservations early or you will be taking your chances.

I'm sure you will do the north and south loops in Yellowstone. Don't miss the Beartooth (US 212) and Chief Joseph highways.

If you have budget ideas or can describe what you want to do and the kinds of places you like to stay at, more specific suggestions could be made.
    Today is a good day to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1500 View Post
    Get some reservations early or you will be taking your chances.
    Can't emphasize this too much, ESPECIALLY if you're going around the 4th of July--typically the most crowded time in the Greater Yellowstone Area.

And Tom1500's suggestion of 395 to 20 is a great one if you have the time. Beautiful wide open country!

Two days, minimum, in Yellowstone......even then you'll have to hurry to see everything.
    The Bison are all very arrogant and have bad manners. They are the biggest cause of traffic congestion in the park because they walk right up the middle of the road for 1/4 mile or more, that's the bad manner's part, they move very sloooooooowly....while they amble up the road and I KNOW they can move much much faster. That's the arrogant side of them.

West Yellowstone is a good place to settle in for 2 or 3 days, then leave by going through Jackson Hole.

How much time do you plan to take for the whole trip?

I would do something like this route.
    395 to John Day
    7 to Baker
    to Enterprise
    to Lewiston
    12 to Missoula
    Then 12 = I-90 (not bad for Interstate) to Livingston
    s on 89 into the park

I just checked many of the Yellowstone Lodging and it mostly booked solid already inside the park. I stayed in Old Faithful Inn years ago in a older part of the lodge. What a fabulous building. I think it is better then Old Faithful herself.

Don't be in a hurry in the park. You will miss something you want to see or miss something that you just road by.

On the day that you are approaching the park; stay 100 miles out and save a bit of money, because the closer you get the higher it goes up.

Jackson Hole is no bargain in July, imo. But, you might want to start booking now for accommodations, as stated, even for camp sites.

My friend and I rode to Yellowstone through Twin Falls Idaho then up 93 to Wisdom, Mt then west to West Yellowstone, Mt
    Passed through "Craters of the Moon" and some really beautiful country up 93.
    West Yellowstone is setting right at the west gate to the park. It also has an abundance of hotels/motels (in july EVERYTHING will be expensive)

Here is a route I made up from Mantica... Just a suggestion.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ma...t=h&mra=ls&z=7

Quote Originally Posted by mjruiz View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm looking for information on a trip to Yellowstone this summer. I live in Manteca Calif. I wasn't sure what sites people are using for route planning, available services lodging etc.
    I will be doing this trip 2 up not sure if additional friends will be joining us. This will be our first multi-state road trip so advice is appreciated, we have ridden in the past multi day trips to San Diego and back.
    Regards
    Mario

Thread Information