Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boom!!!

  1. #1
    Super Member Beemer bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Name
    Josef
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'
    Posts
    1,195

    Boom!!!

    I just came in the house from washing my 91' and when I am done washing I usually start her up and let her warm...

    I found I was having trouble starting her, despite the nice 75ish degrees out side. I set the choke and started to try again, this time BOOM!!! Sounded like a 45 pistol!

    WTF happened?!? After the big boom, she started, although soundly a bit sickly... Then a minute or two later, after ginger applications of throttle, it seems fine.

    Again, WTF happened?!? Did I just kill my baby???
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at people!

  2. #2
    Senior Member DYNA118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Name
    Jim
    Location
    Paradise Calif
    Bike(s)
    Roadliner
    Posts
    392

    Re: Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum View Post
    I just came in the house from washing my 91' and when I am done washing I usually start her up and let her warm...

    I found I was having trouble starting her, despite the nice 75ish degrees out side. I set the choke and started to try again, this time BOOM!!! Sounded like a 45 pistol!

    WTF happened?!? After the big boom, she started, although soundly a bit sickly... Then a minute or two later, after ginger applications of throttle, it seems fine.

    Again, WTF happened?!? Did I just kill my baby???
    No you lost spark and pumped gas into the pipe and than the spark came back and "BOOM"

  3. #3
    Super Member Beemer bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Name
    Josef
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'
    Posts
    1,195

    Re: Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by owrstrich View Post
    greetings beemer bum...

    sounds like your head bearing seal is weeping... you may need a top down inside out rebuild...

    j o

    WWWHHHHAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!??!?!

    I just endured a 4 month long TOTAL rebuild!

    I have a feeling your just messing with me...
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at people!

  4. #4
    Brickus Turkus Turkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Name
    Bruce
    Location
    Riverside County
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S
    Posts
    4,241

    Laughing On Ground Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by owrstrich View Post
    sounds like your head bearing seal is weeping... you may need a top down inside out rebuild...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum View Post
    WWWHHHHAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!??!?!

    I just endured a 4 month long TOTAL rebuild!
    You obviously didn't get the Stage 1.75 Kit when you got the rebuild....
    Bruce

    Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

    GMR1 2009

    Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

    Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

  5. #5
    Cooligan CRASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Name
    Dan
    Location
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT FJR1300A
    Posts
    3,421

    Re: Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum View Post
    I have a feeling your just messing with me...
    JO ... mess with people?
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

  6. #6
    Super Member Beemer bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Name
    Josef
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'
    Posts
    1,195

    Re: Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkus View Post
    You obviously didn't get the Stage 1.75 Kit when you got the rebuild....

    I SHOULD have got one! I sure paid for it...
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at people!

  7. #7
    understanding the passion mr,spliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Name
    Coleman
    Location
    Moraga
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150 RTP
    Posts
    114

    Re: Boom!!!

    Next time make sure you've got the right caliber in the tailpipe, target in sights, and that merc owner close by
    doesn't that stead run 30-30's?
    2002 BMW R1150RT-P
    1993 Yamaha Virago 1100
    TOH rider #94

  8. #8
    Senior Member eojmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Name
    Joe
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Bike(s)
    BMW1150GS.
    Posts
    515

    Re: Boom!!!

    The boom was the unburned fuel vapour exploding in the exhaust system.
    The Yamaha XJ750's often did it if you didnt get the engine started first time.I gave many a pedestrian and driver the fright of thier life when my bike gave a blast like a gun shot.

  9. #9
    Super Member ShACEdow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Name
    Jerry
    Location
    marysville, CA
    Bike(s)
    2012 Genuine Stella
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: Boom!!!

    so, by using your exhaust pipe as a pulse jet you don't need any 'kits' for extra power....but I think a name change (doodlebug comes to mind) might be in order.

  10. #10
    Super Member Beemer bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Name
    Josef
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'
    Posts
    1,195

    Re: Boom!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShACEdow View Post
    so, by using your exhaust pipe as a pulse jet you don't need any 'kits' for extra power....but I think a name change (doodlebug comes to mind) might be in order.

    Yeah it would be really great, if I could switch off gravity...
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at people!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •