Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering a ride in NV?

Name
    CDNBiker
    Bike(s)
    rentals

Re: Considering a ride in NV?

Yes I am riding from Vegas to Seattle next Thursday! Can anyone suggest a semi-direct route to get me into Seattle in the morning of the 14th?
    I'm not one for stopping often, or busy little towns, but rather a balance of enjoying the scenery without killing my butt all day.

Edit: added date leaving LV. It gives me 4.5 days to get there.

Name
    JC
    Bike(s)
    2010 FLHXSE

Due to the temps. I'd not be riding Nev. I'd get on 395 north to Hwy 89 north to Hwy. 44 West through Redding, Hwy. 299 all the way over to Hwy. 1 north. Hwy. 1 north all the way up to Port Angeles, then the ferry over to Seattle.

That would be an incredable ride for you! You'll experience just about every kind of terrain there is.

Due to the temps in Death Valley, you probably want to be riding through there by 8:00 a.m. or so to get all the way through it before it gets unbearable. It was up over 100F last weekend.

Name
    CDNBiker
    Bike(s)
    rentals

Do you mean staying away from 95 or 190 through the Park? 95 looks like it would save me alot of time, I'm just concerned about there being enough gas stops. (?)

Name
    JC
    Bike(s)
    2010 FLHXSE

Not necessarily stay away from but I'd be leaving Vegas at about 4:00 a.m. to ride either of those routes....just to get a majority of the way through it before the high temps set in.

I've rode both of those routes Easter weekend and it was only 90F then....still to hot for me to be in it all day.

Actually, 95 wasn't bad but then we started at Gold Point (between Beatty and Goldfield) at sun up.

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
    Yes I am riding from Vegas to Seattle next Thursday! Can anyone suggest a semi-direct route to get me into Seattle in the morning of the 14th?
    I'm not one for stopping often, or busy little towns, but rather a balance of enjoying the scenery without killing my butt all day.

Edit: added date leaving LV. It gives me 4.5 days to get there.
    A lot of options and a lot depends on what you are riding, range and your tolerance for heat. With 4.5 days, you can weave trough a lot of areas and see a lot of different things.

As JCZ said, NV will be pretty hot - current weather in NV in that area is high 80s for Vegas and high 70s farther north in NV. Also need to consider the snow as you go farther north - and the hot will turn to cold. I would be inclined to look at routes through Idaho, Northern Oregon and eastern Washington with spots long the way of interest like The Little Ali' Inn in Rachael Nevada, the Bonneville Salt Flats and so on.
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Name
    CDNBiker
    Bike(s)
    rentals

Quote Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
    A lot of options and a lot depends on what you are riding, range and your tolerance for heat. With 4.5 days, you can weave trough a lot of areas and see a lot of different things.

As JCZ said, NV will be pretty hot - current weather in NV in that area is high 80s for Vegas and high 70s farther north in NV. Also need to consider the snow as you go farther north - and the hot will turn to cold. I would be inclined to look at routes through Idaho, Northern Oregon and eastern Washington with spots long the way of interest like The Little Ali' Inn in Rachael Nevada, the Bonneville Salt Flats and so on.
    You don't think it's worth heading to Redding then to the coast and north? I considered staying inland, to SLC, Boise and then Yakima, I kind of wanted to see the forests/mountains but don't want to be caught in a snowed in road. It sounds like I'm gonna have to bring a variety of clothes no matter what the weather. I can handle most heat, it's the rain and cold I'm worried about mostly.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but you guys are helping, it's appreciated.

Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT FJR1300A

Quote Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
    You don't think it's worth heading to Redding then to the coast and north? I considered staying inland, to SLC, Boise and then Yakima, I kind of wanted to see the forests/mountains but don't want to be caught in a snowed in road. It sounds like I'm gonna have to bring a variety of clothes no matter what the weather. I can handle most heat, it's the rain and cold I'm worried about mostly.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but you guys are helping, it's appreciated.
    I live on the coast so I ride it all the time. Based on where you are, how much time you have and where you are headed, there are a lot of pretty cool places to ride inland as well.

The coast will give you a bit more stable weather and is a gorgeous ride no doubt, but if I had the opportunity to run up through Idaho and the Saw Tooths and over to Hells Canyon again, I would do that (again, I see the coast every day so you need to ask yourself, what do you want to see and then we can help with a route).
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Thread Information