Thread: Scenic route to Milwaukee from Sturgis

Name
    ken
    Bike(s)
    roadking

Help2 Scenic route to Milwaukee from Sturgis

Hi all,
    After Rally Week at Sturgis next year we want to ride to the HD museum. . Prefer to keep off Interstates where possible and overnighting in smaller interesting towns. 3-4 nights would be good , then after visiting HD Musuem heading west along parts of Route 66 but thinking about avoiding Chicago and leaving Milwaukee in a west south direction towards St Louis .
    Wanting to go to Sante Fe for 2 nights then ride to Durango on way to Moab. In past have ridden up 84 to Chama and Pagosa Springs. Can anyone throw some light on alternative ride up 68 to Taos then 64 to Chama and on to Durango.
    Other option is from Taos head up to Salida and over Independance Pass and on to Moab.Would miss the Millon Dollar Highway but compensated by riding to Aspen and then down 128 to Moab.
    Any thoughts please.
    Cheers Ratast New Zealand

Name
    Nathan
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner

Re: Scenic route to Milwaukee from Sturgis

i can't speak to South Dakota or Iowa but Minnesota and Wisconsin have some of the prettiest country to ride thru.

East of highway 35 in Minnesota is where the "bluff" country starts. north and south of highway 90 is gorgeous twisty/hilly riding. 90 itself isn't so good and more hill and twisty's as you get closer to the Mighty Mississipp. as far as towns go, take your pick. there are many little towns.

Wisconsin has even better riding. in between the Mississippi and Madison are some of the prettiest country in the 2 state area. again with small towns abounding. i think they roll up the carpet on Sunday tho.. i think it's a state law.... some things are open, but not many. of course gas stations and most restaurants are open.

mostly it's scenery here. if you ride the river on either side of it(Wisconsin or Minnesota).

closer to Madison is the Wisconsin Dells. there is also a place called "the house on the rock"(google) if you like that sort of thing. the Dells are pretty commercial but still nice. Sparta Wi is a great area(kinda little town). if you want to zig zag thru there is even more to see.

if you are going thru Iowa i know very little about that.

Name
    ken
    Bike(s)
    roadking

Hi,
    Thanks for the help. Looking at Red Wing on 61 down to La Crosse . can you enlighten me on that route.
    Cheers Ratast

Name
    Nathan
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha Stratoliner

Quote Originally Posted by ratast View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the help. Looking at Red Wing on 61 down to La Crosse . can you enlighten me on that route.
    Cheers Ratast
    Miesville is a town(well, they have some buildings there but it's small) just before Red Wing that is the place you should start from. they are famous for having something like 101 different hamburger combinations(peanut butter is 1, my fav is cheeseburger with hot dog n egg on it) if you like burgers. but, just after that town on the way to Red Wing is a side/ride on a road that goes by a place called "Welch Village" which is a ski area but follows a river on some pretty twisty/hilly roads. you can then circle around to Red Wing.

Red Wing to La Crosse is an awesome ride on the back roads. you CAN ride straight down 61 and have a lot of fun but just to the west side of 61 are some great country roads. 61 follows the river down and you DO get glimpses of the river but if you want to see a lot of the river go into Wisconsin and ride Wi35 down. it's a better ride. either side is fun, just 1 is "funER"

depending on what you like to do, Red Wing is where they have Red Wing shoes(i wear their boots, super comfy), Red Wing Clay(that's how Red Wing got it's start. they made Clay pots n such). they have a museum for the shoes and pots. nice overlooks, ok eatery's(one on the other side of the river thats pretty good). headin down 61 are some pretty cool towns and there is an Eagle Sanctuary/Museum. on the Minnesota side is White Water State Park(White Water River), that has some great Brown Trout fishing i have read(haven't fished it). the Minnesota side down 61 is called the "Bluff Country" as i think i stated b4 and that's real fun to criss cross ride all the way down. Winona Mn has the a University and a donut shop that was recently named best in the state. of course there is Wabash(part of Grumpy Old Men was filmed there). La Crosse is pretty nice also but i don't know a lot about that. it's a bigger town/city.

on the Mississipp down in that area is "Lake Pepin" which boast's is where they invented water skiing

i personally like the Wisconsin side better because you follow the river.

i don't know what your lookin for but this might give you some idea of what is there. it's about 2 hours to La Crosse from Red Wing but you can make it a whole day's ride. worth it if you have the time.

if you want me to zero in to something more what your lookin for, feel free to ask.

hope this helps
    Nate

P.S. it might have sounded like it's mountainous(Ski area, bluff country) but it's not. it's hilly and fun but your not very high up.

PP.SS. if you want someone to ride with while here, let me know.

Thread Information