Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Got a ticket today

Hammer Head2 Got a ticket today

a speeding ticket. Was doing 75 or 80 on I 280, and a CHP pulled me over. He said I was doing 75 in a 65 zone. Hell, everybody is doing 75 on 280. It's the traffic flow. Ticket says : code 22349 (1) VC ( speed )'3, infraction. Than ( hard to read ) TAOE 75-80-75 ( I guess that's the measured speed, than 4-2-1.

So, it sucks. Anybody has any idea what to aspect, moneywise ? It's my first ticket in CA ever. I want to contest, does that make sense ?

Any advice appreciated

Ralph.
    RIDE SAFE RIDE FUN

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

IBA# 48396

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar

Re: Got a ticket today

Sorry Ralph and I totally agree on the speed of the flow of traffic. Here in Sacto if you are going 65 as posted on I80 or Hwy50 you'll get run over. I have never seen traffic flow this quickly except in UT near SLC where the speed limit is 80mph! Good luck entering the freeway there, I was slogging the poor little Versys to get up to speed!

I have never had luck contesting, but maybe you will. Gary usually does ok with either a dropped ticket or a lowered fine. Me, not so much.

Can't you do traffic school which will reduce the fine and cleanse your record?
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Traffic School! I wish I could offer more.

Fight it and when the officer comes to court make sure you ask to see his speedometer calibration chart. I know here in Kern County if you don't have that with you in court, your out of court!

Good luck!
    ".....an imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan." General George S. Patton

www.jafosadventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by owrstrich View Post
    greetings pongousa...

are you gonna get deported...

j o
    You wish : D
    RIDE SAFE RIDE FUN

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

IBA# 48396

I can guarantee you that all CHP speedometers are calibrated annually. They carry a calibration certificate in their car and a copy is usually kept in the traffic court in whatever jurisdiction in which they work. Your best bet is to appear and ask for traffic school. Based upon your lack of priors, you will be allowed to go and the ticket goes away, although the fine does not, nor the cost of the school. You could also appeal to the court and say that you know you were speeding but you don't believe it was 75 mph...more like 70...you might get a reduced fine. Again, your lack of priors will be in your favor.

Bummer. You are about to be shocked about how much that ride is going to cost you. I recently got ticketed for doing 39 in a school zone. I know, dumb, but was not paying attention and sometimes those school zones tend to pop up where you don't expect them. I was guilty as hell, so I didn't even consider fighting it. When I screw up, I pay the penalty.

Anyhooo, after it was all over, after online traffic school (which takes 8 hours!), fine, and other miscellaneous fees, the cost was around $425!

I won't make THAT mistake again.

A) Do traffic School to keep it off your record.
    B) Realize that traffic school is an additional fee .. do it anyway.
    C) Plead no contest - you don't get to explain anything if I recall, but you get to request traffic school ... they usually reduce the fine since you made the time to come in. If you plead guilty, I am not sure you are allowed to take traffic school - if you can I would plead guilty, say yeah, I was going 75, so was everyone else and I didn't want to get run over, traffic school please. The judge may take kindly to you and reduce the fine - your accent may elicit a "This ain't no autobahn" comment. Maybe one of out LEOs can help more.

What you don't ever want to hear is "Mr. So-In-So, are you here again?"

DAMHIK
    - CRASH -
    AMA# 1103547
    BMWMOA# 159231
    IBA# 21680
    Jenny's # 867-5309
    "These are my Pashnit/Passionate boys." - Tyler Risk

Got a ticket today

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
    Traffic School! I wish I could offer more.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH View Post
    A) Do traffic School to keep it off your record.
    B) Realize that traffic school is an additional fee .. do it anyway.
    I seem to manage one speeding ticket every ten years.....traffic school is the only way to go in my humble opinion
    Take one of the stupid "Comedy Traffic Schools" that burn up a Saturday and move on.....
    The total financial outlay for the ticket, fine, and T-School will be a WHOLE BUNCH LESS than the increase in your insurance when they find out.

Oh yeah......get rid of the Banana Suit and get something that is harder to spot in the viewfinder of the Laser Gun
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

+1 on online Traffic School.

You still have to pay up but it stays off your record & your insurance won't know a thing.

Thread Information