Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CA to Canada

Name
    Tyler
    Bike(s)
    2009 Can Am Spyder

CA to Canada

Headed to Castlegar this summer for a forum gathering thing. Revised map here.

Suggestions? I know there are a ton of options of roads/directions but I only have so much time. Rough schedule (not finalized) looks something like this:

Saturday, June 16, 2012 S.Clara Fernley
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 Reno Boise
    Monday, June 18, 2012 Boise Grangeville
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Grangeville Glacier
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Glacer Glacier (lookie loo day)
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 Glacier Castlegar

Any budget-friendly-but-nice recommendations on where to stay at Glacier??

Will come back home through WA and OR... haven't gotten that far yet in my planning! :ride
    So to speak...

Dangerous Curves

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Re: CA to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Headed to Castlegar this summer for a forum gathering thing. Revised map here.

Suggestions? I know there are a ton of options of roads/directions but I only have so much time. Rough schedule (not finalized) looks something like this:

Saturday, June 16, 2012 S.Clara Fernley
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 Reno Boise
    Monday, June 18, 2012 Boise Grangeville
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Grangeville Glacier
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Glacer Glacier (lookie loo day)
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 Glacier Castlegar

Any budget-friendly-but-nice recommendations on where to stay at Glacier??

Will come back home through WA and OR... haven't gotten that far yet in my planning! :ride
    I have a feeling the map isn't supposed to be skirting the Road to the Sun or whatever it's called that runs through the park. I always stay with friends in Flathead Lake, but last year Note and I stayed in an amazing place in Seeley Lake called Rich Ranch. It's probably too far, but man was it NICE!! Hot tub, horses, good home cooked breakfast, and nice beds and bedding...oooowww!

I have done your route up to Nelson. It's very pretty. You'll enjoy the ride. The road to Lake Koocanusa is really awesome, but given you tight time, I see why you have chosen your route. How are you getting home??

I'm excited for you! You'll have a wonderful time.

Btw, why Fernley then zagging back to Fallon? Uhhh...eewww.
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    Tyler
    Bike(s)
    2009 Can Am Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
    I have a feeling the map isn't supposed to be skirting the Road to the Sun or whatever it's called that runs through the park. I always stay with friends in Flathead Lake, but last year Note and I stayed in an amazing place in Seeley Lake called Rich Ranch. It's probably too far, but man was it NICE!! Hot tub, horses, good home cooked breakfast, and nice beds and bedding...oooowww!

I have done your route up to Nelson. It's very pretty. You'll enjoy the ride. The road to Lake Koocanusa is really awesome, but given you tight time, I see why you have chosen your route. How are you getting home??

I'm excited for you! You'll have a wonderful time.

Btw, why Fernley then zagging back to Fallon? Uhhh...eewww.
    I had clicked on the "Avoid Highways" box so Google maps finds anything other than highways... I'll obviously avoid some of the detours it suggests!

I'm not sure which road is Road to the Sun as no one seems to link numbers with the names... I'll figure it out, I figure!

So many places and roads... so damn little time... where is that winning lottery ticket when I need it?!?!?
    So to speak...

Dangerous Curves

Name
    Arle
    Bike(s)
    CBR1100XX BlackBird

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Tyler, Hwy to the Sun is basically the only through road that traverses Glazed park. If you miss it that means you are hanging out with the bears and goats.

Flathead has local lodging as does the main south park entrance area (Glacier, MT). Big Fork is by far the prettiest burg on Flathead lake itself, the eastern shore being the best shore too. There are places there, and lots of very good spots to eat. Also Swan Lake on the north end, not far from Big Fork on Hwy 83, has some lodging. All this is close to the South entrance of Gelato Park, relatively speaking within 40 miles.

Kalispell has the usual amount of motelhotels. If you pass through town you MUST visit the western shop there on the main drag. Best boot shop I have seen in years. And they service White Boots, the logger's standard. North a couple blocks and to the left is Montana Coffee Traders, on Center. Very good coffee roaster.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Name
    Bonnie
    Bike(s)
    2009 F650GS

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Thanks for the link. Mr. GN and I are planning a PNW ride this summer, also, so I ordered the map. Will post up for advice when we're farther along.

Name
    Arle
    Bike(s)
    CBR1100XX BlackBird

Don't be freaked when you experience the high cost of gas, food, and lodging in BC. Also the low speed limits and RCMP revenue seekers. This is why I spend most of my vacation $s in the USA.

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Don't be freaked when you experience the high cost of gas, food, and lodging in BC. Also the low speed limits and RCMP revenue seekers. This is why I spend most of my vacation $s in the USA.
    I'll be joining Tyler on this adventure and have had some experience up in Canada from previous trips. I know in BC if you are traveling over 25mph over the speed limit, they can immediately impound your bike and you incur some serious fines, storage fees and impound fees. It's a serious matter, but the born again hooligan in me strays once in a while.

I really don't remember any sticker shock at the price of food or lodging, but gas isn't cheap and sold by the liter, but hey when you are traveling you can't worry about it! Jes do it!!

Tyler has the maps and is working on routing. I made a couple of suggestions, however, I am riding WITH her, so the choices are hers since this is her first trip up to that area.

I know we'll have a blast!! And suggestions are still welcome, only now it take two!
    “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment." Papa-Ken

Ride Like a Girl
    Travel Blog for Riders

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    Ducati's 1098 S

I'm pretty sure there is only one petrol station between Winnemucka and Boise and its in Rome, Oregon. Rome is just past the half way distance. Be sure to top up in Winnemucka and again in Rome (RV station) and a good cafe for a bite.

Name
    Tyler
    Bike(s)
    2009 Can Am Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by notarian View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is only one petrol station between Winnemucka and Boise and its in Rome, Oregon. Rome is just past the half way distance. Be sure to top up in Winnemucka and again in Rome (RV station) and a good cafe for a bite.
    Thanks for the tip, Bill!!
    So to speak...

Dangerous Curves

Thread Information