Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 50 Safety Tips for Riders~ Both NEW & SEASONED!

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Re: 50 Safety Tips for Riders~ Both NEW & SEASONED!

I'm always happy to share good stuff with others. I've read & reread this several times.

I've also had the good judgment on occasion that I should not be on my bike & turned around & headed home. Like I had a target on my back or something. No ride is that important to risk your life if you aren't "ON IT".

Name
    Kurt
    Bike(s)
    Street Boeing

This goes along with #1...

1.1 Watch their wheels, not their eyes.

I suggest you consult Steinbeck or Huell Howser, because I have no answers for you.

Name
    Kevin
    Bike(s)
    1990 Suzuki dr650s

This is such a dangerous sport, I sometimes wonder why I still ride. Many decades of experience has taught me to slow down and never consider myself too good to wrech or fall. And the sap that hits you will be real sorry.

Name
    Jason
    Bike(s)
    02 Triumph Daytona

Great information. Thanks. I will take that info for my next Motorcycle Coordinator Meeting. A list that we all should review before rides, or atleast as a refresher.

Kinda new round here
    Name
    Erik
    Bike(s)
    BMW 1200 GSA

I just started riding and this list will probably save my life someday. Thanks for the sage wisdom.

Name
    Kurt
    Bike(s)
    Street Boeing

After almost getting nailed by a California king mattress and box springs on I-5 a couple of weeks ago, I have to say something about giant Winnebagos and other motor homes: They're evil. Avoid them.

Seriously, I didn't even see those big things (insecurely) strapped to the top of that behemoth until they were flying at me. I was a good distance behind the vehicle, but obviously not quite far enough. It was a close call, but I thought I avoided 'em entirely, until I checked afterward and found that I did indeed run over the mattress, as some of it was wedged in the frame:

Name:  314062_3511038855742_698842795_n.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  46.3 KB

59. You can't always tell what's strapped on top of a big motor home. Assume that something's gonna fly off at you even if you can't see it.

I suggest you consult Steinbeck or Huell Howser, because I have no answers for you.

Name
    Bruce
    Bike(s)
    1993 BMW K75S

50 Safety Tips for Riders~ Both NEW & SEASONED!

Great tips and, has been mentioned, should be printed and placed in the map window of my tank bag for constant reference
    A "Remove Before Flight" if you will....
    Just because some of us are "seasoned" doesn't mean we should stop learning/re-learning.

Without applying percentages, a good many of these tips are presented and discussed in the classroom portion of the Streetmasters Motorcycle Workshops curriculum.
    The remainder usually come up in one-on-one discussions between the Instructors and students or during the lunch-time de-briefing.
    While I just take pictures at the classes, I usually come away from each one with some new little nugget that needs to be filed away in the cerebral Rolodex

Thanks Fishy !!
    Bruce

Adventure is just poor planning - Roald Amundsen

GMR1 2009

Ride Safe and with a purpose
    www.streetmasters.info

Follow Streetmasters on Facebook

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    VFR1200 DCT

While such pointers almost always assume the car driver is the perp, the opposite is also just as true. Stupid, aggressive, or otherwise inattentive bikers are just as much a threat. I was driving my car down a wide open boulevard when a guy on a Sportster decides to turn left about 15 feet in front of me. He missed being a Superman imposter by about 6 inches had I not stood on the brakes, blasted my horn, and he goosing his throttle. Had any one of the 3 actions not happened, the situation (for him) would have been grim. Just sayin...
    10 VFR1200F DCT
    07 Griso (Sold)
    98 VFR800

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

True Bill, You also have to be a defensive rider & watch out for all obstacles & be prepared. The turn into my apartment driveway is gnarly & I've had to bail on it more than once to avoid getting clipped or rear ended. I have flashing brake lights & also always make sure to use my signals & hand/arm signals & still have gotten cut off.

I'd rather make the block than get hit. The one lady that came up on my right side & cut me off one day get a real reaming. The biotch said she didn't see me!!! HELL I'm on a freaking huge bike with flashing lights, turn signals & my arm in the air. Needless to say I ripped her a new one. Ok I'm not as nice as I seem when my life comes into the picture.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    2007 Burgman 650

1.1 Watch their wheels, not their eyes.

That is what I do
    I think we've been submerged to long
    Standby to surface

Thread Information