Thread: tires?

tires?

hello everyone i have a question about tires for the concours.
    a friend of mine that i work with has a 2006 or maybe 2007 (its the last year before they stopped making them for a year ha said) & he is wondering about other tires for the bike. apparently there are only a couple of brands of tire that make this size.
    so what are you guys running on yours & what mileage are you getting out of them?

thanks in advance Dave
    http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/DSC00494.jpg
    2011 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREETGLIDE/3.5" rush/catless head pipe/8.5" clockworks/HID head lights/LED F&R turn signals/vented lowers/RF audio

Re: tires?

What tire sizes are you thinking of? What's on there now? If they are 120 and 180s then most makes will have the size. BT023s, Pirellie, Avon etc. imho

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Bird View Post
    What tire sizes are you thinking of? What's on there now? If they are 120 and 180s then most makes will have the size. BT023s, Pirellie, Avon etc. imho
    front....120/70-18
    rear......150/80-16
    2011 HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREETGLIDE/3.5" rush/catless head pipe/8.5" clockworks/HID head lights/LED F&R turn signals/vented lowers/RF audio

Quote Originally Posted by CHILLLS View Post
    front....120/70-18
    rear......150/80-16

I used to ride a lot with a fellow that rode for early Concourse for as long as I knew him. The latest one he had was 2003 if memory serves. He ran the Dunlop 205 on it and loved them. Got lots of mileage and plenty of stick as we rode pretty aggressively. Being in So. California, I don't know how they would be in the rain. Worth checking out for sure.

My bikes have been a '95 and current '2000 Concours. Between the two bikes I have run up approximately 175K miles. I have utilized Dunlop D205 rear and Dunlop D220 for the front. Nice all around tires getting around 10K miles for each tire respective. I recently checked at the bike shop for these tires (within this past month) and these tires are not available anymore for the "C-10" style Concours. I have to start thinking about replacing my back tire soon, due to wear. The Concours guys on the internet have been talking about Avon as the replacement ... Harley blogs have been talking down the Avon - they have not been too impressed with the integrity of the Avon tire ... ?????? I'm still not sure what I am going to do yet for choice of brand and tire, as a replacement. Obviously, I will have to go with the tire manufacturer that still makes a tire size that fits the the wheel. May have to go with a "modified rear wheel" set up, so that newer tire size will fit ... we shall see (proven wheel modification are shown out there on the internet) ... I live in the S.F. bay Area, California. I'm interested in any and all input contributed here, for replacement tires for this older kawasaki Concours bike.

Went back and looked this stuff up ...

Kosman Spaecialties (wheel widening/weldups)

http://www.kosmanspecialties.com/ser...g-and-weldups/

also,

COG-online.org (COG technical Page - 17 inch wheel)

Talks to the 17" rear wheel conversion (weld - see above), as well as another option, converting/replace the C10 existing 16" wheel with a Kawasaki VN1500 or VN1600 Mean Streak wheel ... any year for a used wheel ... this 2nd option will allow one to take advantage of the new tire technologies out there.

first off THANK YOU everyone for your input

i will take this information & pass it along to my friend so he can make a decision on his next tires.

on another note about the avon tires i think (& from what most of my harley friends have told me) is the avon is not a good choice for the touring models due to how heavy they are but the lighter models suck as the sporty & dyna they are a decent tire.
    my street glide stripped down weighs almost 800lbs then you add a passenger, throw on the tourpak & fill up every inch available your pushing over 1,200lbs.

Thread Information