Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sierra City overnight

Re: Sierra City overnight

Yeah, I know Pashnit is more sport-touring but it's also local and I don't hang around ADVrider much anymore because of all of the flames, hotheads, bashing, etc. Plus their posting volume is nutty, you go to get lunch and when you come back the last hundred posts have scrolled right off the bottom of the page.

Someone pm'ed me about GPS coordinates and I mentioned that I'm a total luddite. This is the only navigational system that I use:

Name:  100_0622.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  185.4 KB

My favorite are the National Geographic "Trails Illustrated" series. They have pretty good coverage of the central Sierras but sometimes they are kind of zoomed in which makes for good detail but you might have to carry multiple maps because the coverage area of each one can be a bit small.

Not sure what luddite is. I wasn't even aware of the National Geogrpahic maps but after your message, I just ordered the one you mentioned, Tahoe Basin and Redwoods.

I use a Garmin 2730 StreetPilot (has XM built in and is waterproof) in all my vehciles and the wife and I have the same units on our bikes. But often times, in the mountains they don't work as well (next to a mountain, under trees, etc. blocks the signal). So for getting off the road in the new 4x4, I'd like to have the paper maps and these NG maps look to be the ticket!

Thanks a bunch for that info, as well!

great pic's and info

thanks

EXCELLENT trip report!
    You hit ALL the high points in the area.
    Good choice RONing in Sierra City. Buckhorn Saloon- great place to toss back some cold ones and watch the world go by on the front porch.

THE BUCKHORN-SIERRA CITY, CA.
    Name:  buckhorn.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  116.1 KB

STAN'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
    Name:  MAP.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  191.5 KB
    For folks looking for GPS data on this route...here's an Interactive Google map of Stan's route that I created that you may convert to tracks.

MAP LINKY
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...76005,1.454315

Name:  footes crossing.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  151.4 KB
    This is some interesting history here...This is Foote's Crossing Road built in the late 1800's, connecting several gold mines, and crossing the Yuba River (middle fork-Foote's Crossing). This rock wall you see here in Stan's photo holding up the road was engineered by Arthur Foote local prominent civil/mining engineer. Very cool late 1800's engineering feat.

Foote was famous for designing and building the Northstar Mine Powerhouse in Grass Valley. The Northstar Powerhouse had the worlds largest Pelton Wheel 'turbine', invented by Lester Pelton in Camptownville, CA. also on Stan's route.

He then commissioned the famous Architect Julia Morgan (Hearst Caste +700 other projects) to design his house near the Northstar Mine. Seen here.
    ARTHUR FOOTE'S NORTHSTAR HOUSE GRASS VALLEY, CA.
    Name:  North_Star_House,_1907.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  165.1 KB

A conservancy group I'm involved with is restoring this rare Julia Morgan property. http://www.northstarconservancy.org/

NORTHSTAR HOUSE TODAY
    Name:  nortstar today.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  147.5 KB

Ya never know what you'll learn on Pashnit! Get a cheap DS bike and blast off into history!

Good job Stan!

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_De_Wint_Foote

Juan
    Nevada City
    KLR650
    DR650
    FLHS
    KTM200

If you keep going on Cal Ida Road (Indian Creek Campground, Hwy 49) way past Saddleback Mtn. Lookout you'll climb down another steep canyon into Poker Flat CA.

And that's where our troubles began, seen here, trying to climb North out of Poker Flat to the Quincy Laporte Rd.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5xmv3FbQI"]TROUBLE IN POKER FLAT, CA - YouTube[/nomedia]

We got out w/ a little help and a couple of flats, but had a grand adventure.

JB

Jumping G Horsefat Girl O' Flight's Avatar

Excellent RR, Stan! I found it really interesting! What a great area to explore! I never
    heard of alot of those places before, but the history is facinating.
    The place you stayed looked really nice too. Comfortable Rustic!

I sooo need a dual sport!! One of these days I'll find one in my budget!
    A watched plot never thickens........

Yeah, my knowledge of anything north of the Grass Valley / Nevada City area is pretty minimal. My mom grew up in Quincy but I haven't been up there since I was a kid. Someday I would like to do a multi-day going through there and the Mt. Lassen park.

Thanks for the Google map, Juan. I tried that once and ended up with something that looked like a kid did with a crayon. I'll have to take another crack at it.

I always wonder about the back story behind things like rock walls, old roads, and water ditches, and finding remnants of bygone mining sites. So much has already faded away but there's still a lot of cool stuff to be found for the looking.

Beautiful shots! Thank you for sharing.
    What if I told you... slower traffic use turnouts actually means slower traffic use turnouts.

Thread Information