Thread: 2005 Busa questions

Dgnolan3
    Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    2005 Hayabusa

2005 Busa questions

I just bought a 2005 Busa and I'm trying to figure out a couple of quirks the bike has. Hope there are some of you who can help...
    1. Speedometer is off by a lot... 70 mph is really about 45 and it seems like its running at a high rpm... Is it possible someone retuned the bike and this happened?
    2. When the speedo says 80 - 100 it's running at about 4900 - 5000 rpm in 5th gear. Is this normal? Keep in mind this is only really about 60-70 mph. It seems like it should run at a much lower rpm in 5th gear...
    3. It seems the trip odometer is not working right, but the overall mileage seems to be tracking right... Is this unusual?
    4. Am I crazy to raise the handlebars 80mm? It seems it will help for long rides as I bought the bike to sport tour as well as a fun rider? Does raising affect the handling?

Thanks in advance for those who weigh in!

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

Re: 2005 Busa questions

Hey there and welcome to Pashnit!

As for your speedo issues, you might want to get that looked at. At supra-legal speed I find my speedo to be off as much as 10mph but not 25.

I wouldn't go 80mm on bar raise, that's over 3"! What kind are you using? I've seen a considerable difference made with using spacers in conjunction with Helibars but even then it was nowhere near 80mm (I have 25mm spacers on my Hayabusa). You definitely will have to plan on at least re-routing some of your wiring and very possibly replacing some of it with longer ones. The clutch cable would most likely be the first candidate as that had to be re-routed on the spacer/helibar raise.

There's a discussion about Hayabusa touring mods in this thread:http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthr...t=16411&page=2
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Name
    Joe
    Bike(s)
    BMW1150GS.

If the engine seems to be reving higher than it should and speedo is off,maybe count the number of teeth on the sprockets.Someone could have fitted non standard size sprocket and changed the gearing.

Name
    Rodney
    Bike(s)
    Honda VT1100T

I like this site to find the right gearing for my bikes and the way I ride
    http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    Looks like the stock gearing is 17/40

ROD
    '98 VT1100-T
    so many roads so little time

Name
    Daniel
    Bike(s)
    CL350 ran whn parked

The big problem I had raising the bars on my SV650S (a similar vintage Suzuki) was that they would hit the windshield at full lock.

If your problem does turn out to be gearing, be sure to check out everything else too. I bought a bike with a lot of mods like that and wound up returning nearly all of it to stock. The engineers often know what they're doing.

that reminds me, still need to sell that Scottoiler...
    "A miracle that all this docile strength waits behind one tiny lever for the pleasure of my hand." - T.E. Lawrence

http://www.active2030folsom.org

Dgnolan3
    Name
    Dan
    Bike(s)
    2005 Hayabusa

Thanks guys! Appreciate the weigh in on this. Thanks for the touring thread and the sprocket info. That never occurred to me. After seeing the 80 mm clip on kit that a "really knowledgable" parts guy led me to, you are exactly right Matthew. I will go through each of these and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for taking the time. Hope you all have a great holiday here in the states, and Joe, hope ANZAC Day was good to you.

Old enough to know better Garage Monster's Avatar
    Name
    Robert
    Bike(s)
    2005 Hayabusa

You have found yourself a great bike. I also have a 2005.

I am just over 6' and 240 lbs. I have heli bars on mine and did not have to change any cables. I also lowered the pegs a little using the Buell foot pegs mod I found on a Hayabusa site. With a Corbin seat I have all day comfort. I have completed two SS1000 rides and may join the Pashnit ride this September in Carson City Nevada to do my third one.

With stock gearing I found the speedo was about 10 mph fast at 80. I use a Speedo DRD from Moto Mummy and it works great. My speedo is now a perfect match to my GPS.

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    98 B-12, 01 Busa

Here is what I did to my 01 busa. Put on traditional risers and handlebars, then pulled them even further back with ebay bought 4 inch risers. SS brake lines and clutch line make it all work. Bar-end mirrors work much better than stock.

Buell footpegs were literally a 10 minute change-out and make a huge difference. This bike is super comfy now, ready for some long rides.

Thread Information