Thread: The road to infinity: Pashnit Iron Butt in Nevada

Straight roads are evil EQPlayer's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    DL650

The road to infinity: Pashnit Iron Butt in Nevada

(Note - pictures will come tomorrow when I pull them off the camera.)

Rolled out of the hotel at 2:45 am, bright and early. OK, pitch black and early.

The first few hours were in moonless aphotic dark, the skies ablaze with stars. I stopped once and looked up, mesmerized by the celestial glory. I wish I had more time, and a good telescope, the seeing would have been glorious. Alas, there was no time to admire the sky; the road called. Riding 1000 miles in 24 hours requires non-stop moving.

For many hours the only light was the bike's high beams, casting their flood of illumination before me. It stayed dark so long I doubted the day would ever come. At last, barely discerned, the horizon formed, a faerie's kiss of shape, less than a smudge against the inky darkness. Gently, slowly the sky took shape. Before there was any light, the silhouette of the surrounding hills took form, contours half-seen, at first to the east, then all around. Anon, a faint glow emerged, a cast of yellow, fading to blue as the dawn brightened.

The sun rose as I rolled into Tonopah, filling the tank and turning to Ely. Alas, the early morning sun was directly in my eyes for the first 30 miles or so. Squinting through the piercing glare, it was endured, until the road turned more northward and removed the vicious shine.

Getting to Ely, I learned a very important lesson: Hammering the throttle destroys gas mileage. I rolled into town with 0.8 gallons of fuel left in my 5.8 gallon tank. I'd only gotten about 33 mpg. Ahead, I knew the longest leg was 192 miles; at that mileage, getting there was problematic. So, I added a gas stop on the fly at Ash Springs. That added 10 miles to the overall ride, but also cut the 192 leg down to 150 or so. My normal gas mileage is 45-50 mph, going a lot slower.

I stopped in Rachel at the Little A'Le'Inn, an alien themed restaurant along the Extraterrestrial highway. Had a very good sandwich, washed down with a sparkling glass of water. I broke my soda addiction for this trip; don't want to deal with caffeine on the road. I should keep off it, the stuff does me no good. (But it tastes so swell!)

Later in the day, I rode Highway 376 to Austin. The road was incredible, following a long mountain ridge on the left, each summit topped with a puffy thermal cloud. It would be amazing to hang glide the range, flying from one thermal to the next, chasing the mountain's cloud street through the eternal vault of sky. But this was a motorcycle trip, so I was ground-bound, drifting through the endless playas along valley floors.

Making the penultimate gas stop in Austin, the final stretch set in, pointing the bike's nose towards Carson City, racing the waning sun. I got back to the hotel about 7 pm, tired, butt-sore and grimy, but with a smile as vast as Nevada's open reaches. I had done it. 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

I don't think I'll do it again, I much prefer the shining glory of a twisty goat trail to the boundless reaches of open road. I like my roads tight and twisty, not straight to infinity. Yet still, I look back on this ride with satisfaction; a goal achieved.

To the road: I salute you.
    Mike
    2009 Vstrom 650

Name
    Brent
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1200RS, GS, & R

Re: The road to infinity: Pashnit Iron Butt in Nevada

Thanks Mike for the description, and congratulations on completing the ride safely. The pictures you promise will be a nice addition to your vivid ride summary.

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    2007 Burgman 650

Great Ride Report

I think we've been submerged to long
    Standby to surface

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

When riding thru Nevada It's a good call to pack on a little extra fuel. Even if ya don't use it. I've gotten stuck out there more than once when the station was closed, no ATM, no power, no fuel. I get gas when I see it! at least ever 100 miles. And it does get pricey out there.

Sounds like you had a great ride tho!! Can't wait for the pics. CONGRATS!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Very nice Mike, good to see you again!

...riding California... eye.surgeon's Avatar
    Name
    Rod
    Bike(s)
    Ducati Multistrada

Good for you, Mike.

And yes, bikes are more sensitive than cars to speed-induced fuel economy drops because they are so un-aerodynamic.
    Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring S
    BMW K1200LT

Name
    Laura
    Bike(s)
    BMW F800GS

Nice write up, Mike! It was nice seeing you at dinner. Sorry we missed you at the hotel. Definitely an interesting experience! Congratulations on completing!
    Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like it's heaven on earth. ~Mark Twain

Posts seldom, rides often
    Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    2013 Concours14

Thanks for sharing! This report, along with a couple others, have me itching to go put on a few hundred miles just for the sake of riding. I think my weekend "plans" have just started forming.
    John
    2013 Concours14 "Tr8vler"
    2008 Concours14 "Conundrum" - 167,000+ miles and "retired"
    2006 ZX-14 "Zexy"
    Several previous bikes, loved 'em all...
    COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016

Ridgerunner
    Name
    Wes
    Bike(s)
    07' K1200GT

Great narrative. Sounds like you had an awesome time....congrats too!

Gone away
    Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1100RT

How'd you make time for all the photos! Never done an Iron Butt before, but I did ride 350 miles to breakfast last month, catching up with my touring buddies!

Thread Information