Thread: '99 R1100RT broken exhaust mount

Name
    R
    Bike(s)
    2005 BMW K1200 GT

'99 R1100RT broken exhaust mount

Sooooo, I found a busted exhaust mount on the RT a short while back . I did a ridiculous amount of research on repairing it. My choices were: buy a whole new exhaust which was extremely $$$, buy a used exhaust from Ebay, of which the choices were few (and some of which had the same broken exhaust bracket but badly welded together), let a shop repair it (again $$$), or remove it and have a welder repair it. Or, do the damn thing myself. I got some good advice from Crash, other riders, and welder friends and figured it would be easy peasy

Since I'm a cheap ass, it made my decision easy. I whipped out my old Lincoln Mig SP-100, borrowed some Argon and SS wire and did it myself.

I cleaned the area and discovered the mount thingy (professional term) was hollow. It didn't matter though, since it wouldn't effect my supreme welding abilities

If I had taken ALL of the good advice, I would've tacked it in place, then removed the exhaust and welded it properly on my workbench. Unfortunately, time and weather forced me to do the abbreviated repair; weld it in place on the bike.

Steps:
    • Put onto centerstand and remove rear tire (scrape knuckles while doing so)
    • Support the aft (I just love saying that)
    • Brush the hell out of the area to remove mucky road debris.
    • Get reading glasses, because old eyes can't see crap up close.
    • Take photos to document either the successful repair or embarrassing defeat.
    • Properly position the exhaust and support it using my faithful old jack.
    • Cram my helmeted head, thick gloved hands, and welding torch into the tiny fender area where the rear tire should be. Crawl back out, because I forgot my reading glasses. Repeat.
    • Weld, weld, weld.

It isn't perfect, but I think it'll hold long enough. It didn't cost me a dime (except for the fresh eggs I offered for the borrowed tank of Argon and SS wire). Fingers X'd it holds for a few years; It's a '99, so not sure of it's lifespan anyway.

Just thought I'd share the info in case another unfortunate RT owner encounters a similar problem. Apparently, several other RTs of that generation had the same problem. I know the weld isn't great, AND it's already done, so feel free to keep your good-intentioned advice to yourselves. I'm just sharing the experience for others' benefit.
    One adventure down, and many to go...
    B-52's #6060-842

Name
    Alan
    Bike(s)
    6 in the garage now

Re: '99 R1100RT broken exhaust mount

Ugly welds are fine as long as you have good penetration. You can weld stainless with standard MIG wire no problem, but the welds will rust. Done it on several exhaust systems. Of course when the exhaust has already gotten so hot that the stainless fatigued, and split open the rust thing is kind of a moot point.

Name
    R
    Bike(s)
    2005 BMW K1200 GT

Re: '99 R1100RT broken exhaust mount

Yeah, I was hesitant to use my standard MIG wire, because of the potential rust issue. Since I was able to find and borrow the argon and SS, I figured I'd go the extra mile. Still, I should've removed it and welded it on the bench, as it would have been a much better job, but hopefully it holds through the dry season. Time was of the essence and had to get it done asap. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it holds.
    One adventure down, and many to go...
    B-52's #6060-842

Thread Information