Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ride to Total Eclipse of the Sun

Grand Waffle Maker
    Name
    Maximo
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT, SV650N

Re: Ride to Total Eclipse of the Sun

I rode central Oregon last summer and was shocked by 1. How beautiful it is, and 2. How amazing the roads are. Living in NorCal, over the years I’ve become quite smug at having some of the best riding roads and gorgeous scenery right out of my driveway. Somehow this smuggery inadvertently turned into a belief that other places weren’t any good. I’ve come to appreciate that awesome roads and great scenery abound, and it does not take away from what I have at home.

Central Oregon, a place I had written off as a boring desert, turned out to be simply amazing. I went there on a whim (I wanted to see Hells Canyon) and ended up doing 2,000 miles of criss cross over 4 days. I could go on and on. Whether you go to the eclipse or not, definitely go there to ride some day.

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    FJR-1300

Whole heartedly agree. Love riding in Oregon. Well worth the trip and I'll be up there again this year.

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    1150GS

56 days til the TSE...I've ordered more eclipse viewing glasses to pass out to friends, some of whom will have 80% to 90% of the sun eclipsed by the moon. I don't want to hear about any seared eyeballs from un-safe viewing...

...and I can understand anyone not wanting to fight the potential crowds...OTH it could be a lot of "fake-news" about millions of people flocking to the path...or not. No matter, it is a once in the rest of my life chance to see one of the most interesting and awesome natural events...not that I can't appreciate the occasional earthquake, tornado, hurricane, tsunami or forest fire...plus I get to ride a bunch of Oregon roads to boot...might even drop in on family (or not)...

Wherever you may be on August 21st, do not look at the sun during any partial phase without eclipse glasses, CE or ISO approved...

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    1150GS

38 days til the Eclipse, Have extra eclipse glasses on hand for the unprepared, noticing that it's hot up there as it is down here. Plans are finalized except - will we make a 600 mile banzai run or break it up into 2 days; ride at night to beat the heat or tough it out and tour by day...decisions decisions...

The inter-web sez there are still places to camp in the Path of Totality,(Madras, John Day) I'm thinking the whole millions of tourii is overstated, don't care as long as we can buy gas to get out of Oregon the day after...

Last Chance in My life to see this...

Grand Waffle Maker
    Name
    Maximo
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT, SV650N

You'll have a blast, regardless of the number of touristii

Thread Information