Thread: Sargent saddle

Grand Waffle Maker
    Name
    Maximo
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT, SV650N

Sargent saddle

I have a 99 SV650 that Iíve ridden since new. Itís a daily driver and Iíve put on about 75k miles on it so far. Iím one of the rare few who found the stock seat acceptable, so Iíve never bothered getting a ďgoodĒ saddle (which is typically the first thing I do with a bike). Well, my saddle finally wore out. The cover, which had been ripping for a while, hidden under an Alaska Butt Pad, finally tore off. When I lifted the butt pad I saw the foam had also severely disintegrated, so that a simple reupholster would not do the trick. The innards had to get reworked as well. Long story short, I opted for a Sargent Seat instead.

While I wouldnít say I hate it, I would say that it is different enough that it has surprised me how much it affects my riding. For one, the seat is much lower than stock, making the riding position almost sportbike cramped. Also, it is flat, if not concave, as opposed to the convex shape of stock. This creates a pressure point at the edge of the seat where there wasnít one. Lastly, the Atomic Cell Foam should be classified as Atomic Cell Cement.

For those of you who have a Sargent, I have a few questions:

1. Did you notice the same things?
    2. Do the edges of the seat shape (indent) over time to smooth out the pressure points?
    3. I presume the Atomic Cell Foam will eventually imprint my own bum on it to make it comfy. Is this a safe assumption?

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: Sargent saddle

1) Get a used ebay stock seat
    2) Contact your local upholstrey shop
    3) buy high quality replacement, ie Corbin

Name
    Peter
    Bike(s)
    Bandit 1200S

http://laamseats.com/, an easy ride for you

I had a Rick Mayer saddle done for my Bandit way back when as the stock seat was painful within a 100 miles of riding

Grand Waffle Maker
    Name
    Maximo
    Bike(s)
    K1200GT, SV650N

I'm not ready to give up on the Sargent just yet, I'm still kind of curious if someone has grown into their seat. Some years back I put on a Corbin on my FJ1200 and after a year I gave up on it. I'm hoping to have better luck with the Sargent, although right now it feels very Corbin-esque, so I'm not overly optimistic.

I took my K bike to Rick Mayer a few years back and it's a great saddle. I suspect Seth's work is about the same. If I do give up on my Sargent I'll probably do a ride-in and have him build one for me.

Thread Information