Thread: 46 Degrees in 16 miles - Exploring California's Central Coast

Go'n some place new...... 2on2off's Avatar
    Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

46 Degrees in 16 miles - Exploring California's Central Coast

This past summer in late July, I wanted to take my new ride out for a test run.

The temp in Reedley was over 100 degrees so I headed to my local BMW Dealer in Fresno and Al hooked me up with a "Hydroweave" vest, sold by Silver Eagle outfitters (www.CoolingApparel.com). You soak this vest in cold water for 5 min. and then put it on.

I gave this vest a real workout as I rode almost 200 miles in 100+ temps and the thing was still damp when I reached my destination in Pismo. It really did keep me cooler.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I came to ride and ride and ride and ride............

Name
    Sydney
    FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!
    Bike(s)
    '05 Victory Kingpin

Re: 46 Degrees in 16 miles

pssst ~ Right now we are trying to stay warm!

I also have heard alot of good things about the hydroweave vests. Too bad it's so cold right now that I can't even think about cooling off.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

Next morning it was nice to wake up in 60 degree weather. I connected with a friend from my very early riding years, we used to ride our "banana seat bicycles" around and pretend they were motorcycles. He is a former motorcycle officer so I wasn't sure I would be able to keep up with him. He refered to his new street bike as a "Hardly Davidson", it was a Honda cruiser.

We left Pismo and headed to "Ragged Point" which I had probably driven by but never stopped at. The weather was cool so we wore cold weather gear and I even turned my electric hand warmers on as we approached Cambria.

This is always a pleasant ride to Cambria on the highway 1. Ragged Point, approx 21 miles north of Cambria, was a pleasant surprise. The views are spectacular along the coast and the sun peaked through the clouds just as we pulled into the parking lot. The temperature just before Ragged Point was 56 degrees.

This is a great place to stop, enjoy the views and get something to eat. They also have a very nice hotel with fireplaces in many of the rooms. You could spend a very pleasant weekend here.

Playing the low notes... z_bassman's Avatar
    Name
    Sean
    Bike(s)
    Relying on others to

Looks a lot like 41 south?

The rest of the pics?

Name
    Erik
    Bike(s)
    2007 Z1000

...interestingly enough,you can go from 100 degrees here and ride 17 miles over to morro bay and have it be 60 degrees there.
    "The purpose of Law in our time is to create a web in which the common man cannot live without being guilty of some crime." - Ayn Rand

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

After enjoying the views at Ragged Point, it was time to check out "Santa Rosa Creek Rd" which I had read about on pashnit.com. This road starts in Cambria at 35 feet elevation and goes east and south for 16 miles where it connects with highway 46 at 1,800 feet elevation.

The elevation and road are not the outstanding features of this ride. What is truly amazing is the temperature change you realize in the short distance.

We started out in Cambria at a temperature of 56 degrees. As we climbed we drove out of the fog and into the sun. The higher we rode and the further east we got, the warmer it got. We stopped and took off the jackets and I switched from my warm jacket to my mesh one.

By the time we reached the summit at about 2,000 feet, the temperature reached 102 degrees. This is where we stopped for some photos and we could easily see the ocean below us where we had just ridden from.

The outstanding feature of this road in late July is that we realized a full 46 degree temperature change in only 16 miles. I don't know of any other road in California where this occurs.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    KTM 500EXC, Goldwing

When we came to highway 46, we had to turn west on 46 because the rest of the ride on Santa Rosa Creek Road was closed because of a washed out bridge. I will save that section for another trip.

My friends didn't enjoy the goat trail aspect or the heat of this road on their "Hardly Davidsons" so we headed back to highway 1 and Pismo. They were done for the day because of family committments but I was just getting warmed up.

I got some lunch and then decided to explore Solvang and the "motorcycle museum". I took 101 to Solvang but couldn't find the museum so I just kept riding south on Alisal Road south of Solvang. This road becomes a one lane road and takes you through some remote foothill areas and eventually takes you back to 101.

I rode to Buelton and then headed west to Vandenburg Air Force Base in Lompoc. Many fields of flowers in this area as they grow 20 acres or more of flowers in this area. You are treated to brightly colored fields of pink, orange, purple, blue, etc, etc along the road as you drive.

I have been going to the Pismo area for over 40 years and I had never driven through this area before so it was a treat. I enjoyed this area so much that I forgot to stop and take any pictures.

I got my map out and saw another area I had never been to called Guadalupe Beach. This is just west of the town of Guadalupe on highway 166 which is also called Main St. You can actually drive on a paved road right up to the dunes. Watch out for sand on the road. It is rumord that somewhere in this area is where they built one of the sets for the movie "Ben Hur" in the 1930's or sometime in that era.

It always seems to work out for me to find something new when I am on a motorcycle. I am not nearly as adventurous in a car for some reason.

The next day I put the Hydroweave vest back on and headed to the 100+ heat of the central valley.

These days, in December, I'm am looking for a place to ride to warm up. Maybe Death Valley will be my next street bike ride.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Jim - this is terrific! Thanks for taking the time to share your journey with us! The Central Coast of California is a great place to go exploring- as you mentioned, what a difference in temps! Almost 50 degrees in a matter of miles. Although the best part is coming out of that heat to the ocean, and having it be so cool in the midst of summer.

Gotta get me one of those vests.

Indeed, Santa Rosa Creek Rd is 4 Goats on the Goat Scale. Paved but dirty, tricky, bumpy, and a need to be mindful of speed and potholes if any. One time through there, the road itself had shifted down 6 inches, and you had to ride up a ledge in the road. Road crews since took that out, but fun road for those that like the goat trails.

During Spring time, it's a glowing brilliant green in there! Btw, the road you missed on the south side of 46 is Old Creek Rd - and part of it is recently paved in 2005, great fun on any size bike too! Much different than Santa Rosa Creek.

As for the Solvang Motorcycle Museum <--Linky for pics, yes, it's pretty hard to find. It's on a side street, and even then in a strip mall like office building with just a tiny sign. The first time we tried to find, I was actually standing right next to it and still didn't notice it.

One other tidbit Jim is on the flip side of the Air Force base is Jalama Beach Rd which runs from Hwy 1 to Jalama Beach. Very similar to your road on the north side of Vandenberg AFB. Fun place to explore too!

Name
    Jason
    Bike(s)
    93 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: 46 Degrees in 16 miles - Exploring California's Central Coast

Darn...I thought the 46 degrees was referring to the number of degrees of latitude you covered...oh well....maybe next time....

A very good report, nonetheless...

Name
    Joe
    Bike(s)
    both dirt and street

Re: 46 Degrees in 16 miles - Exploring California's Central Coast

that 2nd pic.... shaw? ashland? totally looks like it.

Thread Information