Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PhotoStory Oldfarts Travels.

Name
    Kenneth
    Bike(s)
    2002 Honda Goldwing

PhotoStory Oldfarts Travels.

This is my first attempt at a PhotoStory and I was pleased with the slideshow I made on my computer, but it lost much clarity of picture content after it was uploaded to Google. Let me know what you think.........Ken

An update to this page, I have found another host site that seems to work better, again tell me what you think.

I have uploaded 3 files including the first one and I think they work much better by not blurring during transition even though the pictures are on a smaller screen. At the bottom left of the page that opens it states view size, choose 800 for the best presentation.

The first is called Dirty Old Man and it is a tongue in cheek episode I loaded after recalling a less than friendly encounter in 2004 at the Trials at Donnor Ski Ranch.

When the rain invades my space I have a tendency to become a bit depressed and introspective. I start to question my surroundings and the direction our world is evolving. Today I was reflecting on what seems to be an increasing lack of care or respect for the elderly. Not just by many of our young people but also by the government.

The first time I realized I was becoming one of these statistics was back in the late 70s when I was in my mid and late 40s. My son Matt and I had attended the Sacramento Mile at Cal-Expo and were trying to merge with the flow of traffic exiting the parking lot after the race.

When I finally forced my way into the flow after trying to merge for what seemed to be an eternity, I heard this loud honking of a horn and someone holler out "watch it oldman!"

I looked around to see who they were screaming at and my son said, "Dad, I think it is to you they are screaming."

Boy, you could have knocked me over with a feather as I certainly didn't consider myself old, and even now when I have almost reached the 3/4 century mark I don't feel old. Inside this old shell resides an 18 year old just straining to get out and I can honestly state that at this time in my life, "I am having a ball."

Now much later in life, I still notice this resentment for lack of a better word from some of our youth. Kind of like don't bother me, or get out of my way type attitude. In August of 2004 I was at the national trials event being held at the Donner Ski Ranch and was surrounded by hundreds of people, and the majority were young and quite a few were rude in the way they presented themselves, by shoving when passing as we were climbing up the mountain paths to reach good vantage points for viewing the trials.

After I had reached the locations on top that I wanted to be so I could watch and take pictures, a few would just nudge right in front of you if you let them. That wasn't about to happen as I had every right to that spot as the rest of them.

My point is, where has all the respect gone? How have many of our young been raised to think only of themselves? Kindness and consideration was not only a virtue but a rule taught in our home.

What brought all this flooding back into my consciousness was looking at the many pictures I took at this trials event.

The bad thing is we as a culture have found a way to move the old folks out of the mainstream and box them in.

And the good? "They are people we can learn from, they are just sitting there, waiting to give us this extraordinary information. You just have to listen.''

The time is coming when they will reach this age and find it wasn't all that bad as they thought years ago.

Look behind you boy's it is later than you think..........Ken

http://media.putfile.com/Dirty-Old-Man

This is the first one I posted and I think it is better now.

http://media.putfile.com/Travel-with-the-Oldfarts

The next one is a group of pretty scenes in photos that I loaded from this site and my own files. It has a pretty audio background.

http://media.putfile.com/Autumn-Leavs-89

Hope you enjoy these PhotoStories..........Ken

no role model MyLife on TwoWheels's Avatar
    Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Re: PhotoStory Oldfarts Travels.

Absolutely awesome job Papa-Ken!!
    Felt like I was riding there right along side you.
    The poem was great, nice touch.

Playing the low notes... z_bassman's Avatar
    Name
    Sean
    Bike(s)
    Relying on others to cage me about.

Great job, Ken. I love that song.

"A sunny day on a motorcycle in Tuscany...does not suck."
    -Orson
    http://zbassman.blogspot.com/

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Ken,
    Among all your other talents, you are a poet too. Great presentation. I think sometimes we struggle to convey to non-riders what it's like to be on the road feeling the wind go by, smelling every little fragrance in the air, and enjoying the comraderie of good friends. You've done it here.
    Thanks
    Jim

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Papa-Ken,
    Once again you amaze me with your talent! This is BEAUTIFUL, the poem wonderful and the pictures awesome. I love that we are able to express ourselves with a meaningful song as well by using this tool.

As to the clarity, I see what you mean, how compressed was the file that you uploaded. I am sure Gary will have a suggestion for u.

Great first photostory, and one of many more, I am sure!

You are a very talented fellow!!! Thanks

cheers,
    d

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    '88 R100 GS + more

Very nice Ken.

It is too bad about the picture distortion.
    Although it does make the water appear to be moving in some of the pictures.
    Maybe we need to find out what service can host these photostories to provide a clear and undistorted presentation.

Anyway... nice job on the poetry as well as the music choice.
    The picture selection is very broad and interesting as well.

Looking forward to more works of art from you !

Kudos!
    John
    Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight!

Ride as if your life depended on it!

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    *** Pending ***

Ken,
    How long did it take for Google to review and approve your video? I have two videos submitted to them that have been there for a week.
    Jim

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    -- Albert Einstein

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    05 Triumph Tiger

Wow! That was powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
    Mike Benzon
    Burney, CA
    11 Triumph Rocket Roadster
    05 Triumph Tiger
    IBA # 7666

Name
    gary
    Bike(s)
    bmw trike

well done ken that brought a tear to the eye.,,, gary

Name
    Kenneth
    Bike(s)
    2002 Honda Goldwing

Thanks Ray. Wish they had the clarity of yours and Donna.

Yes Sean, that is one of my favorites also but then, I have about 4 million favorites.

Jim, there you go again but keep it coming. As to how long it took to get this approved. I uploaded it Tuesday night late and it was approved the next day and made available for viewing early this morning.

Thank you Donna for the praise, it does reinforce our efforts. How compressed was the file that you uploaded. I am sure Gary will have a suggestion for u.

It was 41.3 MB before it was saved in PhotoStory and got compressed down to 12.9 MB. After looking at a lot of the other files on Google, I think that is what we can expect for clarity. So disappointing to me I think it ruins the slideshow so much it isn't worth uploading.

Thank you John for your kind words.

Mike and Gary you are both very kind............Thanks again too all....Ken

Thread Information