Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The PASHNIT Busa gets a whole new look !!

Name
    Ross
    Bike(s)
    2003 Honda CBR 1100xx

Re: The PASHNIT Busa gets a whole new look !!

Dangit!
    This is no good! I think this is solely a conspiracy to make me buy a 'busa next year! The wheels, the tank bra..... I'd posted a question about what I was considering for a sport-tourer on a thread I started, and the 'busa was on my list. I think Tim's 'busa the way he's set it up is the clincher.......... should do my own now.......!

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by bobby5150
    Wow man...the bike is getting nice. I will have to check out your mod page.
    Yah - I have to do a bunch of updating to that too.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Very pretty bike, Tim.

I bet now the the group will let you ride along.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Got a question about the Tobin Seat vs. the Corbin. Mine as well answer that here.

The seat you see here is a 'Tobin'- made by a fella on the east coast that is sort of one these 'local boy makes good' stories. It is a stock seat that's been recut into this shape.

I have always been a big fan of Corbin Seats (even going to the factory to have them make custom seats for my bike & my wife's). Have done about 30,000+ on Corbin seats so can vouch they are good product with big following. But the bowl-shape Corbins I have seen for the Busa just didn't look right for me.

Corbin Seat
    Name:  Corbin-Solo-Busa.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  45.6 KB

I went with the Suzuki Gel Seat at first thinking that'd be the best for traveling, ntm much cheaper. Gel seat on eBay is like $90. So I put a couple thousand miles on that seat with a couple trips.

Suzuki Gel Seat

I also recovered the stock seat with a Second Look Seat cover- I really liked the look of the matching colors.

Stock Seat with Second Look seat cover

So figured I'd try a Tobin since it looked 10x better than the flat black Gel Seat. I was a little hesitant though as there were few, if any, owners in the sport-touring community that had used them as a long-distance seat. The Tobin seemed more of an item of the 'custom' boulevard crowd or the drag-racers.

Tobin Seat

But the Tobins were immensely popular in the busa community and everyone seemed to vouch for this person that didn't even have a website and was all word-of-mouth sales.

One story I was told is that when Tobins first started getting popular, Corbin's business selling Busa seats all but dried up. Somewhat surprised at this - they began asking quiestions and of course quickly found out it was because of this Tobin fella. Well the name 'tobin' seemed highly suspicious and Tobin got a call from Corbin's lawyers wanting an explanation. Not only had their seat business greatly tapered off, but there was some guy making busa seats with a very similar name. Turns out that is really is his first name, and to get the lawyers off his back, Tobin sent them a copy of his drivers license and they left him alone after that. Gotta love American capitalism!

Nice thing about Tobin is you just send him your stock seat, tell him the colors you want- this one is a custom two-color job with the custom 'pashnit' stitching- and Tobin whips it up. There is also a rear seat that has been re-cut, the Hayabusa kanji symbol stitched into it, and the rear lip for the passenger. Corbin might be better for two-up with that backrest, but my wife has her own bike so I always ride solo.

Overall, after about 15,000 travel miles on the Tobin seat, I'm a believer. The biggest difference is it gives you the feeling of sitting 'in' the bike, rather than on. And it does lower you down about an 1". It is thinner, however the rolled shaped of it fits surprisingly well.

Both seats

I liked it so much, we have a photo thread here of Tobin seats.

2 Many Roads,2 litle time Ahstabyby's Avatar
    Name
    Jerry
    Bike(s)
    2009 Concours 14

The mods look great! I can't wait for my next bike- 2004 ZRX! Be a good switch bike for the Madura. Think I got the avatar down now. Thanks. You live around the central coast?

Bike(s)
    FJR 1300

WOW LOoking good..great job..

Name
    Matt
    Bike(s)
    1978 Honda "Oldwing"

Lookin' sweet, Tim. I'll be in the market for a new bike before long. You're tempting me.

Name
    Scott
    Bike(s)
    '05 Hayabusa

Well this post just answered the question before I could ask it. I am planning on getting a Tobin seat but wasn't sure about the comfort it would provide for a long day of riding. I didn't think asking on the hayabusa site would help anything as Tim said they are all into speed and racing. So now that I have my answere I guess I will send my seats out and have them done as it's still not riding season yet. got one more month of rain after this and then its time to break the bike out for the season.

BFBusa
    Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    2006 Hayabusa LE

The Pashnit Busa is a great looking bike. So great that I have to have one, been riding a Road King (2000) and like the long tour rides. Keep up the good work and hopefully I can get to your area for a ride this coming season.

chrome makes ya go faster redzdvl's Avatar
    Name
    Marc
    Bike(s)
    2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia Black/White "Skunk"

WOW! almost makes me want a BUSA so I can get them spiffy looking toys too... once i got the bike i couldnt afford the new toys tho... oh well... I'll stick to my chrome & just admire yer bike from afar!

nice work Tim!
    "Some People R Like Slinky's- Basically Useless, But Still Bring A Smile 2 Your Face When U Push Them Down A Flight Of Stairs"

Thread Information