Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 Months since last ride....

Name
    Joel
    Bike(s)
    05 R6

2 Months since last ride....

Today was the first day I've ridden in 2 months. I figured I would go check out Little Dragon and where ever else my bike would lead me, so here's a few pics of my little journey.

My first stop was in Hornitos
    Name:  PICT1197.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  PICT1200.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  144.7 KB

While looking around this little town I found this church up on a hill.
    Name:  PICT1204.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  150.3 KB

Last stop for gas
    Name:  PICT1202.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  180.0 KB

Now heading towards Bear Valley (just kidding this is off the side of the road)
    Name:  PICT1211.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  116.4 KB

Top of the Dragon
    Name:  PICT1227.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  101.6 KB

After the Dragon I took a road Phil showed me (don't remember the name of the road though)
    Name:  PICT1244.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  123.5 KB

Name:  PICT1247.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  119.0 KB

This pic doesn't do justice of how colorful this wall of rocks covered in moss really was.
    Name:  PICT1251.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  180.6 KB

One thing about this road is you have to watch out for the cows
    Name:  PICT1255.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  164.3 KB

Then on my way home on hwy 132
    Name:  PICT1257.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  PICT1260.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  124.3 KB

Name
    Daniel
    Bike(s)
    ´95 Honda CB500 (sold)

Re: 2 Months since last ride....

Cool pictures, Joel. It´s nice too see the californian landscape getting green again. In which months of the year is the grass green like that?

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

Good to see you back on the road with camera in hand Joel!
    So how much was gas?

Great photographs. I love all the old buildings. Do you know the story behind the one with only the steel doors remaining? I take it a few folks still live in the area, since the Christmas lights were still up?

Name
    Chris
    Bike(s)
    FJ 1314

Cameras slow ya down, anyone want mine? (feeling the twitch in the wrist)

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    Pending...

Quote Originally Posted by Eifelrider
    Cool pictures, Joel. It´s nice too see the californian landscape getting green again. In which months of the year is the grass green like that?
    It depends a lot on the amount of rain during the winter, but usually the area starts to green up in December, and can often stay that way until late May/early June.

Name
    Joel
    Bike(s)
    05 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerdale
    Good to see you back on the road with camera in hand Joel!
    So how much was gas?

Great photographs. I love all the old buildings. Do you know the story behind the one with only the steel doors remaining? I take it a few folks still live in the area, since the Christmas lights were still up?
    Supriseingly I only went 200 miles so only $20 in gas.

Not sure on the old buildings, their are quite a few like that in that town. Its a very interesting little town. People do live there, in fact when I was taking the pic with the gas pump I was blocking the peoples driveway they lived right behind that building.

Name
    Joel
    Bike(s)
    05 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Eifelrider
    In which months of the year is the grass green like that?
    In my area it just turned green like that recently and should last till it gets real hot again. Weather has been so weird around here you never know how long stuff like that will last.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Honitos History

Hornitos is located on CR-J16, 11 miles west of Bear Valley, and about15 AIR miles west-northwest of Mariposa.

Originally, the nameless community was established by Mexican Miners in 1848. It was quickly populated by

“less desirable elements” evicted from the booming mining town of Quartzburg about two miles away. These evictees changed the character of the mining camp and Hornitos quickly became known as a rough community. Later it settled down and grew respectable as Quartzburg faded and the folks moved to nearby Hornitos. It was the center for both placer and hard rock mining.

The name derives from the above ground tombs/graves of some of the Mexican miners, and the town was named after the resemblance of those graves to small ovens (hornitos). They were built that way due to the hard ground and the difficulty in digging deeper graves.

By the mid-late 1850s Hornitos was a small city with some 6000 people. It was well known for its fiestas, fandangos, gambling and violence.

Some of the early businesses included a blacksmith shop, brewery (1860), butcher, several dance halls, adobe-walled jail (1853), six lodges, general stores, post office (est. June 18, 1856) and a Wells Fargo & Company Express Office (1853). Off to the east side of town a thriving Chinese section grew to house some 2000 folks. Many of the businesses were interconnected with underground tunnels, and for entertainment there were always chicken races, bull & bear fights. It is claimed that some $40,000 in gold was shipped out on a daily basis. Life was NOT boring! It is claimed that the infamous bandit Joaquin MURIETTA is said to have frequented the dance halls and saloons here, and is said to have had a secret escape tunnel from his favorite hangouts. However much of what was written about this outlaw has almost reached legendary proportions and it is difficult to separate fact from fancy. (Kind of like the Earp clan and James Brothers.)

In 1858 the first quartz mill was installed. It was a machine-powered arrastra. By 1860 it had been replaced by a 20-stamp mill. In 1900 there were four operating stamp mills in the community.

By 1870 the population is said to have reached 15,000, and the town incorporated as Mariposa County’s only incorporated city. At this time it had a dozen hotels and 36 saloons along with many other businesses.

From: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.co...a/hornitos.htm

Name
    ron
    Bike(s)
    07 cbr

I knowthe feeling about not being in the saddle. weather just cold and wet enough to keep my baby in the garage.
    great pics, really likes the shot with the old gas pump, not many of those around any more. Ron
    A man's reach should be greater than his Grasp

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Gorgeous pix Joel and I certainly feel your pain in not riding for 2 months!!! I haven't done much riding for over a month now, and am going a bit stir crazy!

I have had a horrible cold/flu and just can't bear to go out in the chilly air even though i am now feeling better and have my electrics. I just can't stray too far from the hot tub!!! Call me whimp, but unless the outside air is 60, my tendency is to remain home and let the "big dogs" run!!

Speaking of...Gary is out today riding with Gail and company. I imagine he will come home with some fun pix and I will have to be satisfied to live vicariously!

Thanks for easing the pain with wonderful photos. I always look forward to your ride reports!

cheers,
    donna

Thread Information