Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer ride Downunder

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Summer ride Downunder

Here's some pics of Australia. Remember it's summer Downunder now. We usually head off when the summer school holidays are over and the roads free of conjestion and LEOs. I'm travelling on my old CBR 600 with a mate Marty on a ZX9R Kawasaki. I will let the pics tell the story.

Down the freeway to Melbourne then along the highway to Bairnsdale towards the east of the state. Boring stuff! From Bairnsdale to Bruthen, the start of the Great Alpine Road (GAR). A bit drizzly and cool.

Marty and bikes at start of GAR.

The road runs along various streams and is really scenic in an Aussie bush sort of way

Up past Omeo the road starts climbing upwards

This is about 1500 metres elevation and is snow skiing country in winter. Mt Hotham and Dinner Plain are the main resorts. See http://www.mthotham.com.au/

Riding on the left side of the road in Aust. The road was virtually deserted, just what we wanted.

There are some ski slopes for winter.

Down lots of switchbacks into the bush again then to our first overnight stop at Bright. Starting to get hot now, about 38 celcius as we pulled in about 4.00pm. 587 kilometres today, with lots of stops to take in the scenery. This pic taken as we left the next morning.

Lovely bit of really twisty road called the Tawonga Gap, heading towards Mt Beauty.

I actually hate stopping for photos as it breaks up my rhythm too much!

Some excellent roads and things to see. Dartmouth dam.

A "one store town' a long way from anywhere

Up to the Hume dam, via the legendry "Granya Gap" - so no pics here as it's twisties heaven!

Follow along the dam close to the New South Wales & Victoria border

Damn hot now it's late in the afternoon, about 40 Celcius ( that's around 104 Faherheit I believe).

Our accomodation right on the border at Towong, 11 ks from Corryong. 406 ks today. Snowy Mountains Holiday cabins - a trout fishing place that is motorcycle friendly (highly recommended) http://www.albury.net.au/~snowyhol/
    Our hosts gave us the use of one of their cars to drive to the pub 11 ks away - too hot to ride and have a beer as well!

Views to the Murray River, which forms the State border here.

Next day we rode a big circuit through the Snowy Mtns of New South Wales (NSW). Elliot Way was the start

We were belting through the bush until a wild horse (brumby) appeared at the verge of the road. I would hate to hit one of them! Then a few kangaroos bounded across the road so we slowed down quite a bit.

This is beautiful country and the rivers are useD to generate electricity. Check point 2 on the yellow sign! Ambient temp was around 35C (95F).

This was once gold country.

Back to our accomodation after approx 400ks in the heat, but really exciting mountain roads. However, parts of the road were literally melting in the heat. Marty said my tyres were leaving lines in the asphalt, a bit like riding through water. Stopped at Tumut for a cool drink - a local said it was 42C (107F)! We even got some rain near Batlow and Tumburumba - just made it steamy. It remained around 27 C (80F) overnight.

Next day we loaded up and headed through the Koscuisko National Park via the Alpine Way. Lots hydo power being generated to supply power for air conditioning in NSW and Vic.

Views, but need to concentrate as it is really twisty all the way.

Past Jindabine to Charlotte's Pass.

Origin of the legendry Snowy River, near Mount Koscuisko.

Next couple of days were spent in Canberra, Australia capital city. >> http://www.canberratourism.com.au/Sorry no pics as I've been here lots previously! We watched cricket on TV, Aust Vs South Africa.

Headed down the Monaro Hwy, through Cooma to Nimmitabel for lunch. Check out this garden next door to the bakery, not typically Australian!

We rode to the coast from Bombala to Pambula Beach via more twisties. It was saturday and we stopped to see if we could help a group of "squids" with a rider down and a damaged Honda VTR100. (think they are called an RC 51 in North America).

Along the coast then up into the bush again via the Mt Imlay Rd.

About this time I noticed the rear tyre on Marty's ZX9 looked like this >>

Headed down the Monaro Hwy back into Victoria. More excellent road to ride.

Couldn't get a new tyre for the Kawasaki so decided to head for home via the freeway in the cool of the night, rather than head back up into the mountains as originally planned.

Rode our longest day of 948 kms - at least the cool of the evening was welcome. Got home at 11.00pm.

All up 2,850 kms. A brilliant trip, yet again the old Honda didn't miss a beat.

10% Angel 90% Hooligan demenshea's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Bike(s)
    07 BMW R1200R

Re: Summer ride Downunder

Thanks Jules, those were excellent pix of your ride. I especially like seeing the difference in the terrain, although there were a couple of shots that look like they could have been taken here in California!!
    I love this one as i expect to see lion and zebra in the distance (though i know i won't)!

Your weather is not alot different than many summer days here around Sacramento. We have days that vary from 105F (40C) high and to 85F(29C) low in the evening. So the heat is something we have to deal with as well here. I usually stay home when it is really HOT! Hot air and high speeds just seem to make it feel hotter!!

The ridge line where the snow poles are located is another lovely shot!

Hope you had as great of a ride as it looked and thanks for taking us along!!

cheers,
    donna

One more mile ........... Steve1962's Avatar
    Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    BMW R 1100 R

Jules,
    That is a nice ride report , with some great photos .

Ride Safe .............. and keep an eye out for them pesky critters .

Steve
    Fast enough to enjoy the curves , slow enough to enjoy the scenery

Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Name
    <g>
    Bike(s)
    '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

Jules, that was thoroughly enjoyable! All the more so since it's the height of your riding season and ours hasn't started yet. Loved the pix... sooo many good ones. Thanks for taking us along for the trip!

Name
    Kenneth
    Bike(s)
    2002 Honda Goldwing

Thank you Jules for the virtual ride along. The pics were great, the text was enjoyable and about "Snowy River", one of my favorite movies. "The Man From Snowy River".........Ken

Name
    Daniel
    Bike(s)
    MV Agusta Brutale

What a beautiful landscape! Show us more!!

Name
    Will
    Bike(s)
    '02 Moto Guzzi Le Ma

Icon7 Re: Summer ride Downunder

Quote Originally Posted by cbrjules
    I actually hate stopping for photos as it breaks up my rhythm too much!
    I know what you mean! I've actually learned to force myself to stop in order to share photos with people on the internet.

Before the internet...I'd hardly ever stop

Thanks for the pics

some of those shots look a lot like California

Go ahead and pass me... Backmarker's Avatar
    Name
    Renee
    Bike(s)
    Ducati Monster 821

These were great. Sent the link to a few friends that I know will appreciate them.

Yeah, they do look a lot like beautiful NorCal. If it wasn't for the road signs, I'd say you just labeled them with Australia and are really living in Sonora or some other CA town!

Thanks for the ride along.
    Some people just don't know how to drive... I call these people "Everybody But Me."

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Great report...the photos added a nice visual.

Name
    Jules
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX14

Thanks to you all for the positive feedback. I'v added a few more pix and turned it into a PhotoStory as well. See http://media.putfile.com/High-Country-Australia

Cheers jules.

Thread Information