Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best route for an introduction to L.A. canyon riding?

Best route for an introduction to L.A. canyon riding?

I'm new to L.A. and am heading out tomorrow to explore some of the canyon roads. Any suggestions for a good loop to ride to get the best sampling of the sportriding here? I'd like to include Mulholland Highway because it sounds like fun, but am open to other suggestions. So far my only sport ride in the area has been Angeles Crest, which was a blast. So, where should I head tomorrow? I live in Echo Park in L.A. and would like to keep freeway riding to a minimum en route to the twisties. Thanks in advance.

Re: Best route for an introduction to L.A. canyon riding?

Just a suggestion but try looking up "Gixxerdale" in the members list. Read all of his ride posts...he definately knows whats what.

Starting at Las Virgenes Rd, I like this loop: Piuma Rd, Schuren Rd, Stunt Rd, Mulholland Highway.

Thumbup Re: Best route for an introduction to L.A. canyon riding?

I love tight twistys, so my personal favorite loop is PCH to Topanga Cyn, Left on Old Topanga Cyn, Left on Mulholland, Stop at the Rock Store( easy to find on a sunday), Avoid the squids as you continue north, Left on Kanan, Left on Latigo Cyn, Rt on PCH, Stop at Neptunes net, RT just past the net, and follow it back, another break, Mulholland south to Stunt Rd., Rt up the hill, left at the top, and a Right at the Tuna Cyn intersection, follow it down, You should be pooped by then, left on PCH and home...........
    Of course I lived in Santa Monica, you might find other access to these roads easier...

Thanks for the responses! Planeoldguy, that loop sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'll give it a whack tomorrow and report back.

RedWreck, welcome. The SMM's route Chris suggested is great. Just watch yourself. Two weeks ago the LEOs were working it really hard at the top of Stunt. Even writting the bicycles!

You're going to love the bottom half of Tuna Cyn. If you have time try Encinal Cyn too.

Tuna Canyon, please! katana_ron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerdale
    RedWreck, welcome. The SMM's route Chris suggested is great. Just watch yourself. Two weeks ago the LEOs were working it really hard at the top of Stunt. Even writting the bicycles!

You're going to love the bottom half of Tuna Cyn. If you have time try Encinal Cyn too.
    I have to agree, I couldn't have suggested a better route than Chris. Very fun. But be careful. I road Mullholand, Kanaan and a few of the others this morning and the LEO's where hiding in all the blind corners. I saw 3 today. Luckily I was riding with some Harley's and Goldwings and wasn't going too fast.

I followed Chris's suggestions and got in 134 miles of super-fun riding. Traffic was lighter than I was used to on Bay Area roads, and I stuck to a semi-sedate pace due to being in unfamiliar territory. I saw the same 3 CHP's that Ron saw but didn't attract their attention. Man, that is some scene at the Rock Store, isn't it? The riding down here is stellar, and I can't wait to check out more of the roads in the area. Thanks for all the feedback here, y'all helped me have a great day.

Good Stuff Red, glad you had a great time! Now we just need a pic of your GSXR up on the mountain top with the ocean in the background!

Done! It's an old photo, taken in Marin County, and my bike doesn't look quite so spiffy now, but close enough!

Thread Information