Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bad Riding Behavior

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Yamaha FJR1300

Bad Riding Behavior

This past Sunday, I headed south on 101 to hook-up with some friends for some canyon riding over in Santa Clarita. I just hit the Rincon, south of Carpinteria, when all of a sudden, two bikes were on my ass. I had just performed a mirror check and I noticed their lights about 1/4 mile behind me which left plenty of time for me to complete the pass on the car I was overtaking. So these boys were cookin', for sure. I signaled my intent to change lanes when I caught one guy in my right mirror beginning to squeeze between the cars bumper and my tail - he backed off when he saw my signal and I finished my lane change. Obviously, he wasn't gonna wait for me to move my not-so-slow ass over! Sheesh! They both passed me and were quickly outta view. I would estimate their speed to be 120 mph.

Further south in Ventura, it happened again by two different riders! Same scenario: I saw 'em way back there then, BANG! There they were, only this time, these two cowboys buzzed by me on the right at a none too comfortable distance. I was simply beside myself with this kind of behavior! Again, these two were going in excess of 100 mph.

Just when I thought it was safe, a cager did the exact same thing: came flying up at a high rate of speed, rode my ass until I could find a safe place to merge right!

Finally, my exit came up and I was finally off the highway. What's with these people?! I have never encountered this kind of dangerous riding in all the many miles I have spent traveling the 101...

Oh, I forgot to mention; the four riders and one cage? They were all CHP officers! No lights, sirens - nuttin', and the riders each had what appeared to be a personal duffel bungeed to the tail. Full uniforms, too.

Bad, bad, bad form for these guys to be acting this way. Does nothing for the image of the CHP, let alone motorcyclists in general.

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    4wd Dual Sport

Re: Bad Riding Behavior

So much for role models!
    "The key to life is to die young, at a very old age"

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    2000Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic

You have no idea but that they were responding to an emergency. The CHP have found that it is better-safer for them to respond w/o lights/siren...code 3 untill they are close to their destination. Code 3 requires them to stay in the #1 lane, unless they are in pursuit. Thats another reason alot of speeders don't see them untill it is to late. How many riders would ride with at 70mph or better side by side? That is just a small part of their never ending training. They just do that for the H of it.

Name
    Dave
    Bike(s)
    FJR-1300

I've had a bad experience from an officer in cage. Seriously almost took me out. I pulled up next to him and asked him what's up with almost running me down back there. He told me to F off and stay the F away from his car. I asked him if he even saw me back there, and he said can't you see that I'm a F'n cop now get the F away from my car. I told him I was sorry he was an F'n cop and left it at that. Hopefully he was just having a really bad day.

Bike(s)
    '01 ZX11

Quote Originally Posted by Scarman
    I've had a bad experience from an officer in cage. Seriously almost took me out. I pulled up next to him and asked him what's up with almost running me down back there. He told me to F off and stay the F away from his car. I asked him if he even saw me back there, and he said can't you see that I'm a F'n cop now get the F away from my car. I told him I was sorry he was an F'n cop and left it at that. Hopefully he was just having a really bad day.
    Most cops are cool. But there are a$$holes in every bunch/group of people, so that of course include police! Why didn't you give him the finger?

Name
    Dennis
    Bike(s)
    05 ST1300, 09 DR 650

I definately would of reported him.
    Happy Trails.

Name
    Vince
    Bike(s)
    DR650, GT1000

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelnut
    This past Sunday, I headed south on 101 to hook-up with some friends for some canyon riding over in Santa Clarita. I just hit the Rincon, south of Carpinteria, when all of a sudden, two bikes were on my ass. I had just performed a mirror check and I noticed their lights about 1/4 mile behind me which left plenty of time for me to complete the pass on the car I was overtaking. So these boys were cookin', for sure. I signaled my intent to change lanes when I caught one guy in my right mirror beginning to squeeze between the cars bumper and my tail - he backed off when he saw my signal and I finished my lane change. Obviously, he wasn't gonna wait for me to move my not-so-slow ass over! Sheesh! They both passed me and were quickly outta view. I would estimate their speed to be 120 mph.

Further south in Ventura, it happened again by two different riders! Same scenario: I saw 'em way back there then, BANG! There they were, only this time, these two cowboys buzzed by me on the right at a none too comfortable distance. I was simply beside myself with this kind of behavior! Again, these two were going in excess of 100 mph.

Just when I thought it was safe, a cager did the exact same thing: came flying up at a high rate of speed, rode my ass until I could find a safe place to merge right!

Finally, my exit came up and I was finally off the highway. What's with these people?! I have never encountered this kind of dangerous riding in all the many miles I have spent traveling the 101...

Oh, I forgot to mention; the four riders and one cage? They were all CHP officers! No lights, sirens - nuttin', and the riders each had what appeared to be a personal duffel bungeed to the tail. Full uniforms, too.

Bad, bad, bad form for these guys to be acting this way. Does nothing for the image of the CHP, let alone motorcyclists in general.
    I know you are upset about this but my question to you is, If you saw them coming why didn't you move to the right of your lane??? That is proper road etiquette. Not to dis you, but if my rate of travel is faster than yours and you do not move over I would probably do the same thing and I'm not a cop.
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    1150GS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stansberry
    You have no idea but that they were responding to an emergency. The CHP have found that it is better-safer for them to respond w/o lights/siren...code 3 untill they are close to their destination. Code 3 requires them to stay in the #1 lane, unless they are in pursuit. Thats another reason alot of speeders don't see them untill it is to late. How many riders would ride with at 70mph or better side by side? That is just a small part of their never ending training. They just do that for the H of it.
    It's illegal for the CHP to go that fast (100mph) w/o lights and sirens...they were 'effing off in hot pursuit of adrenalin on the way to somewhere or back from it...the liability of a crash at that speed with no Code3, sheesh even Arnie coudln't get away with that one...

Hey, LEO's are people too, and sometimes they gotta get their hooligan ya'ya's out, just like a few of the rest of us...
    Does sorta shatter the old role model theory tho...

Name
    Bike(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Far
    It's illegal for the CHP to go that fast (100mph) w/o lights and sirens...they were 'effing off in hot pursuit of adrenalin on the way to somewhere or back from it...the liability of a crash at that speed with no Code3, sheesh even Arnie coudln't get away with that one...

Hey, LEO's are people too, and sometimes they gotta get their hooligan ya'ya's out, just like a few of the rest of us...
    Does sorta shatter the old role model theory tho...
    I got passed by 20 jumpsuited academy riders years ago out on 160 in the delta...left me sitting there like a rock in the road. Flowed around me so fast I just had to hold my line and hope that they all made it.

No knee dragging, no leaning off, just riding the bike all the way over till the foot boards folded up. Side by side. Sheesh!

I tried to catch them to tell them to slow down, but, you know...

Steve

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    '97 VFR750

I won't say that they were right or wrong. I will say that I have also been close to 100mph while on patrol, responding to calls without lights/siren, but that are legitimate calls.

Do we run the risk of crashes? Of course, just like anyone else on this board who's posted they did 100+. Is it legal? No, of course not. Is it legitimate? Depends.

If you got passed by four of them, I'll almost guarantee it was a call, probably a good one...As for their behavior...it is what it is. Won't cast stones or condone it....

Are these guys and girls that do their best to protect you from the bad guys out there? Yes. We're not perfect, nor do we pretend to be. We try to strive to be models of lawful behavior, but like anything, it's not 100%. In cases like these, the law and department policy puts you in a hard spot where people expect a prompt response, but lights/siren isn't necessarily approved. It's the "grey area" of responding to calls...

CHP even tries to have a "Code 2" with the flashing yellows to the rear, as an "excuse us" light, so you know they're going to a call. The law makes no provisions for that, but they're trying to fill the void between following every section of the vehicle code, and Code3 driving.
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Me Now" - Elwood

Thread Information