Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rode my "new" bike home today!!! PICS!!!! (finally)

Name
    Kimber
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW 650GS

Rode my "new" bike home today!!! PICS!!!! (finally)

I picked up my "new" (to me) 2001 1150GS today. I hadn't ever riden one before today and was very pleasantly surprised. (Even riding home the last 25 miles or so in pouring rain!)

Compared to my 650GS:
    >>Feels a little big. But not too big.
    >>Handles really well on twisties. (There were a few handy for my test ride.) I expected it to be more sluggish. I felt very comfortable tossing it around the curves. Whatever it lost in flickability (not much) it gained in solid "on the rails" feel.
    >>Much better wind protection on the freeway
    >>6th gear is really smooth at 70MPH+
    >>Love the bells and whistles (the guy did it up with: PIAA lights, flashing braking LEDs next to brake lights, Corbin seat, all the hard luggage (and soft luggage to fit in the hard luggage), tank bag, auto turn signal cancelling, heated grips, ABS, extra running lights on the forks...yep that makes 6 forward facing lights )

Only negative: The pegs are closer than I'd like (knees bent a bit more than the 650GS...because of the seat that was on the GS that used about 1/2 of the passenger space for the rider). I'm probably going to either want to lower the pegs or raise the seat. (First thing I need to do is figure out if it's on it's highest setting...as I understand it may be adjustable.)

This bike's going to be a great upgrade for me on the 4000 mile trip Doni and I have planned to the top of B.C. this summer. The reduced vibrations, more comfortable seat and better wind protection will make a big difference.

As far as off-roading is concerned, I'll probably give this bike a shot on some fire road rides (a la Lassen). But I'm also considering a 450 dual sport of some variety that's got more dirt capability than my 650GS. Any suggestions? (Gotta sell the 650 first!)

New toys are a good thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Mean people suck.

no role model MyLife on TwoWheels's Avatar
    Name
    Ray
    Bike(s)
    DL650, KLR650

Re: Rode my "new" bike home today!!!

Congrats!
    If you want to go with a 450, I think you're choices are pretty much limited to either the DRZ400...or a DRZ400...

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    '97 VFR750

And a good choice it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLife on TwoWheels
    Congrats!
    If you want to go with a 450, I think you're choices are pretty much limited to either the DRZ400...or a DRZ400...
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, Don't Fail Me Now" - Elwood

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Quote Originally Posted by kimber99
    This bike's going to be a great upgrade for me on the 4000 mile trip Doni and I have planned to the top of B.C. this summer. The reduced vibrations, more comfortable seat and better wind protection will make a big difference....
    When are you going? Daughter is performing in Powell River BC July 8-9, I may ride up for it....

Name
    Kimber
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW 650GS

Quote Originally Posted by Klutschengrabber
    When are you going? Daughter is performing in Powell River BC July 8-9, I may ride up for it....
    Jim, I think we're looking mid-August. Trying to minimize rain! What does your daughter do?
    Mean people suck.

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    thingy with 2 jugs

Jim, I think we're looking mid-August. Trying to minimize rain! What does your daughter do?
    Durn. Going to Minnesota via Volvo then..... Claire sings with the Sacramento Children's Chorus and there is an invitational Chorale festival going on in Powell River, about 145 klicks from Van. She will be up there almost a week. I was thinking of going up, watching the final shows, and riding her back to Portland (she can fly home from there). That way she can see the greater parts of the NW.

Kluts

Name
    Tom
    Bike(s)
    WR250R

Kimber, cool beans

Awesome upgrade and can't wait to help you trail proof the 1150GS sometime this summer. Sounds like a great longer haul cruiser too, something I'm leaning toward myself. I'm still emotionally attached to my F650GS though, especially around town on my daily commute I'll keep dreaming
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need - The Rolling Stones

Name
    Kimber
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW 650GS

Quote Originally Posted by motorrad
    Kimber, cool beans

Awesome upgrade and can't wait to help you trail proof the 1150GS sometime this summer. Sounds like a great longer haul cruiser too, something I'm leaning toward myself. I'm still emotionally attached to my F650GS though, especially around town on my daily commute I'll keep dreaming
    Thanks, Tom.

We'll see if I have the balls to take the new one on anything you could call a "trail"...lol. I'd like to keep the 650 for Lassen trips...etc. But since I don't think I'd use it much other than that, I probably can't justify it. But I'm not doing anything with the 650 for awhile while I get used to the 1150.

I really hadn't decided what to do about a new/bigger bike (as my recent PM to you proved!) but was able to pick this one up for what I'll be able to sell the 650 for...so had to jump.
    Mean people suck.

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    Yes

We'll see if I have the balls to take the new one on anything you could call a "trail"...lol.
    Well, you could just shake it out at Sopiago this year. You've seen that done before as I recall.

Honestly, that was as dirty as I like to get on the dirt pig...well maybe a bit more than I like. Sure was fun though! Oh for a DRZ-400S...

Name
    Kimber
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW 650GS

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg
    Well, you could just shake it out at Sopiago this year. You've seen that done before as I recall.

Honestly, that was as dirty as I like to get on the dirt pig...well maybe a bit more than I like. Sure was fun though! Oh for a DRZ-400S...
    Need to at least throw some knobbies on it to have a chance in the mud, huh?

I hope to have a 400 or so something something by then.... Who knows, I might keep the 650 instead. I could throw knobbies on that...and only use it for dirt...

Decisions, decisions.
    Mean people suck.

Thread Information