Thread: Santa Barbara Honeymoon Tour Advice Needed

Name
    Jeff
    Bike(s)
    ST1300, GSXR750

Santa Barbara Honeymoon Tour Advice Needed

My name is jeff and I'm from O.C. my wife-to-be and I are heading for Santa Barbara area (weather permitting) on our Venture Royal, April 2nd for a 3 day Honeymoon. We are looking to tour the local area in search of great scenery and fun.

Iím good with directions and have ordered a detailed map of the area, but would like to avoid overly complicated (hard to find) routes. We would welcome any suggestions regarding good routes and reasonably priced lodging, as well as places to eat and/or hangout.

If you have any ideas or sugestions that could benefit us and help us make this a trip to remember, we would love to hear from you soon. jeffsbaack@aol.com

JEFF

Name
    Bob
    Bike(s)
    ST1300: 05, 04 & 10

Re: Santa Barbara Honeymoon Tour Advice Needed

Make sure you ride up Hwy 154/246 (San Marcos Pass Road) to Solvang. It's worth the ride!
    Bob
    2005 ST1300 Sold w/174.3K to Son
    2004 ST1300 Commuting duty
    2004 ST1300 Waiting restoration
    2010 ST1300 Restored as Blue

http://hamptonrpi.com/stsabre/

Name
    David
    Bike(s)
    01 CBR600 F4i

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsback
    Wow, I'm so glad I didn't fork out $20 to access the roads section, since I was specifically interested in the SB area.

I guess it's karma...

Mine must be good...

When you charge people to use a site that advertises certain benefits and doesnít deliver, you know that eventualy you will get whatís coming to you.

I hope you didnít spend any of the money youíre raking in on your Busa Tim...

It could get kind of messy for you...

JEFF
    (The quote above is from this thread)

Considering the good-nature of the members on this site, you'll probably get the help you need regardless. But, you may re-consider your tact.

Oh...and congratulations.

Name
    Roger
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by DavidO
    (The quote above is from this thread)

Considering the good-nature of the members on this site, you'll probably get the help you need regardless. But, you may re-consider your tact.

Oh...and congratulations.
    So is this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashnit
    Jeff- all the links to the SBC-Rides site are not part of pashnit. I've spent years promoting his site. For free. Just as I do the Lateral G site.

It was all free. Still is. As in all the tons of information you were seeking was all free. But Jeff's site no longer exists as far as we know. You might also take a look at Mike's site, he has a lot of links of good roads in SB/LA county area. For free. I promote him too. For free.

And ironically, despite your combative chest puffing posturing, I'm still going to provide you all the information you seek, by providing you a medium to acquire and interact with your fellow riders that will answer any question you ask. For free.

You're starting to get annoying.

Name
    Dennis
    Bike(s)
    05 ST1300, 09 DR 650

... I don't know you Jeff, but by looking at your squid attire in your avatar, if you don't have any gear already I would hope you will get some for the both of you. At least for the future bride.
    Happy Trails.

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    BMW 02 1150GS

Gee guy, OC to SB for a honeymoon? Right. Dude . . . you'll never be out of a Metroplex -- 88% freeway. Hopefullly, you'll only be getting married once -- so why not splurge a bit and take a REAL getaway.

Ride up PCH to Carmel By The Sea, pop for a water view suite in a 5 star hotel or inn and make it a memorable honeymoon. Frankly, there's really not much honeymoon value in Santa Barbara (not being mean, just honest).

The ride up the coast to Carmel (on a nice day) is truly a world-class expereince, and spending a long weekend in Carmel/Monterey would (in my humble opinon) be more romantic and memorable. You've got the 14 mile scenic drive along the beach, world-class restaurants, shops, gorgeous scenery, Monterey Aquarium etc.

And oh BTW, why do you need to ask anyone's advice about riding to Santa Barbara from OC? I mean good grief, take the 405 to the 10 to PCH and before you can say squid, you're in SB. Not a big issue.

Just my .02

Kinda new round here

Let's see OC to SB. You have some great choices if you have the time. Ignore the people who say the only way is up the 405, that's not very creative. And SB not having any honeymoon value? It's where JFK and Jackie O stayed on their honeymoon, there's plenty of value here.

From the OC I would head north east into Glendale and then up Angeles Crest Hwy. Take the Tujunga or Alisos to the northerly section of the Crest, this will take you through some nice roads and towards Soledad. From there you can take some nice roads towards the hwy 5 to the west. Catch 126 to Santa Paula and head north into Ojai (this is a road you will not forget). Stay on 150 all the way to the 101 in Carpinteria OR take the turn near the bottom on Hwy 192 straight into SB.

In SB - 154 to Solvang is OK but once there you will have Foxen Canyon to Santa Maria, or Buellton to Jalama Beach via Santa Rosa Road, Lompoc to Los Alamos via Ball Cyn Rd. Or a day ride on the county loop - SB to Ojai on 192/150, then Ojai to Lockwood Valley on Hwy 33, Lockwood to Santa Maria via Hwy 166, then Santa Maria to Los Olivos via Foxen Canyon, Los Alamos to SB via 154.
    These are all great roads, well paved and only lightly policed (154, 150 you need to look out).

Message me for hotels and restaurants (we have over 300).

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    BMW 02 1150GS

Quote Originally Posted by sbmotohead
    Let's see OC to SB. You have some great choices if you have the time. Ignore the people who say the only way is up the 405, that's not very creative. And SB not having any honeymoon value? It's where JFK and Jackie O stayed on their honeymoon, there's plenty of value here.

From the OC I would head north east into Glendale and then up Angeles Crest Hwy. Take the Tujunga or Alisos to the northerly section of the Crest, this will take you through some nice roads and towards Soledad. From there you can take some nice roads towards the hwy 5 to the west. Catch 126 to Santa Paula and head north into Ojai (this is a road you will not forget). Stay on 150 all the way to the 101 in Carpinteria OR take the turn near the bottom on Hwy 192 straight into SB.

In SB - 154 to Solvang is OK but once there you will have Foxen Canyon Rd to Santa Maria, or Buellton to Jalama Beach Rd via Santa Rosa Road, Lompoc to Los Alamos via Ball Cyn Rd. Or a day ride on the county loop - SB to Ojai on 192/150, then Ojai to Lockwood Valley on Hwy 33, Lockwood to Santa Maria via Hwy 166, then Santa Maria to Los Olivos via Foxen Canyon Rd, Los Alamos to SB via 154.
    These are all great roads, well paved and only lightly policed (154, 150 you need to look out).

Message me for hotels and restaurants (we have over 300).
    So when exactly did John & Jackie O get hitched? 1958 or 59? I don't suppose SB was a bit more laid-back and resort-like in 59 was it? These days, SB is just another city -- not saying it's bad, just saying it's not such a great honeymoon destination. In 1959, I'm guessing the population was probably around 12,000 - 14,000. Today, it's about 90,000+- In 1959, there were probably about 6,000 registered cars in SB and today, probably about 33,000 cars -- and that's the night time trafic count.

Not quite the same place in was when Camelot paid a visit. And BTW, who in their right mind wants to hack a sport bike across a hundred miles of LA/OC freeways and surface streets with their new bride on the back. That's not fun and it rather dangerous - especially for someone who rides shirtless and in shorts poping wheelies.

Forget the bike, book a flight to a resort in Cabo or Maui and spend some safe together time boffing eachother's brains out.

Name
    Jeff
    Bike(s)
    ST1300, GSXR750

Quote Originally Posted by sbmotohead
    Let's see OC to SB. You have some great choices if you have the time.
    Hey, Thanks SBmotohead, that's just the kind of info I was looking for, we already know a fun way to get there. I have a great deal of experience vacationing at Lake Cachuma (spl?) and Solvang, but we are hoping to check-out some of the more scenic routes through the local hills and valleys. I will take you up on your offer of hotel advice; I will contact you next week.

Hey Denis and Mike, thanks for your concern, we have a plethora of gear for all occasions that we don’t leave home without. I generally expect to take a bit of hazing for my silly stunt photo, though I am an avid advocate of safety and gear, the use of which has saved my skin and LIFE plenty of times in the 30+ years I have been riding. We like to take the GSXR out for a spin together locally from time to time, but as I stated, we are taking the Yamaha Venture Royal 1300 touring bike on this trip.

"Carmel By the Sea, pop for a water view suite in a 5 star hotel or inn" sounds really nice but unfortunately the wedding has serious set us back some, so we are on a tight budget, but we may consider going up the coast to Carmel/Monterey for a day. Thanks for the advice.

As for my attitude toward the fee to use the roads section, I apologies for the frankness of earlier comments, $20 is not too much, just too much for me “right now” and it used to be free! (I had no idea a simple wedding could cost so much!)

Thanks for the congrats David, sorry if you don’t like my honest expression of my opinion. Could you imagine what it would have been like if I had paid the $20 and then found out that the information I was specifically seeking was not available as advertised? With the only explanation being:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pashnit
    this really sucks... ...It's unfortunate that the web in some ways is a really fluid thing and websites come and go over time....
    Thanks for all your help guys...

JEFF

Name
    Walter
    Bike(s)
    Beemers

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsback
    My name is jeff and I'm from O.C. my wife-to-be and I are heading for Santa Barbara area (weather permitting) on our Venture Royal, April 2nd for a 3 day Honeymoon. We are looking to tour the local area in search of great scenery and fun.

Iím good with directions and have ordered a detailed map of the area, but would like to avoid overly complicated (hard to find) routes. We would welcome any suggestions regarding good routes and reasonably priced lodging, as well as places to eat and/or hangout.

If you have any ideas or sugestions that could benefit us and help us make this a trip to remember, we would love to hear from you soon. jeffsbaack@aol.com

JEFF
    Here's a great day loop out of Santa Barbara:
    From SB.. head over 154 to Solvang, for sure. There's a great Motorcycle Museum there.
    From Solvang, head out to Los Olivos, thence on Foxen Canyon Road through the Wine Country to Sisquoc. From there, out Tepusquet Canyon to Hwy 166 and west back to 101. From 101, take Clark Avenue west to Hwy 135 to Harris Grade Road and over to Hwy 246 via La Purissima mission. Then 246 into Buellton, and 101 along the coast back to Santa Barbara.
    Walt
    '05 R1200GS
    '06 R1200RT
    Central Coast Motorcycling Weather Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain
    2009 goal: hike 1200 miles this year. Only 837 more to go.

Thread Information