Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Ride to Mosquito Ridge - Sierra Nevada Mtns

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Curvy Road Stealth Ride to Mosquito Ridge - Sierra Nevada Mtns

The Stealth Ride to Mosquito Ridge - A Pashnit Journey :bike

Here's just a glimpse of where we're going. Just to wet your palate. Satellite photo (delorme.com) of a short portion of Mosquito Ridge- this is the northern portion nearest to Foresthill. What's really odd is I've ridden this road enough times over the years to look at this photo from space, and I can picture the curves on the map below:

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: Stealth Ride to Mosquito Ridge - Sierra Nevada Mtns

But first we have to get there. So headed out pretty early as usual, about 5:45 am and on the road. Temp reads 36 degress, but electric vest takes care of that. I opt to take Cold Springs Road out of Placerville which is a little quicker, and not quite a twisty. Although don't sell yourself short, they don't have straight roads out this way.

If you look at this picture, doesn't look like much, but down in that fog at center is Coloma and Marshall Gold Discovery SHP as in that's the place where it all started in terms of the Gold Rush. Good ole James Marshall attempted to build a saw mill along the banks of the American River and discovered gold instead. Much by accident too. And what followed was the largest mass migration of people in the history of the world.

The region where Marshall Gold Discovery Park is located. BTW, the best time to go there is when they are having some sort of Living History Days going on. Check the schedule for the park if you are one of those that plan ahead.

Coloma.com is always a good link to check out ahead of time.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

On through Coloma, up Hwy 49, past the Bailey House, and on through Cool. Yes, there is a town in California named "Cool". There's also one named "Harmony" way down on Central California's Pacific Coast Highway 1.

Saniac of AdvRider did a nice thread on Auburn (clicky) and this ride skirts along the edge of his.

As you descend down into the American River Canyon, probably what dominates in the massive Auburn Bridge, said to be the 3rd highest (??) bridge in the US. I once had the chance to bungee jump off the bridge. Three second free fall! Something like 750 feet, and no that's not exactly legal. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Oh, well. You can't really see the bridge through the morning fog, but it is there.

Here's a link to the original panoramic - 303K - Lil too big to post...

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Here's a pic of the bridge from atop the bridge. This was shot during a raging storm during all the flooding some years ago. If I remember correctly, it rained for like 28 days straight. There was so much water in the river below, it was only few feet from the bottom of the bridge (the one in the canyon below that is, not this one silly!), about 20 feet higher than it normally is. We actually came up here, just because it was a bit of a spectacle to see the raging American River.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Shot of the American River Canyon - on both sides of the river, are biking/hiking trails that are much loved by the locals- ntm the rafting and kayaking in the river itself. This water flows into Folsom Lake near Sacramento, and then on to San Francisco Bay.

The sun is strarting to break over the horizon.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Over the bridge over the American River, and then we twist up little short blast we see in the picture above of Old Forest Hill Rd- the original route before they put in the Auburn Ravine Bridge.

Here's looking down on the canyon as we make our way up to Foresthill Road. This picture is looking the opposite way actually of the one above. Highway 49 hairpins its way down the hillside at top right.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Didn't shoot any pictures of Foresthill Road, but if you do ever head up this way, it is a total speed trap of a road. Notorious for coppers lying in wait. While this road is essentially just a smooth highway up to Foresthill- and keep in mind there really aren't any paved roads from there. Not quite a dead end per se, but after Foresthill there isn't anywhere to go- except Mosquito Ridge.

Today was no different, and even at 6:30 am on a Sunday, there's still a cop coming right at me on the corner ahead. Hit the brakes so hard, I locked up the rear wheel at like 70. Ooops. Gotta watch the speed. He goes by uneventfully.

Stealth still engaged. Finally we arrive at Foresthill and Mosquito Ridge Road, there is not much to this town which is more just a community spread across this mountainous ridge. Couple restaurants, gas stations, and a saw mill.

Most riders, provided the road isn't snowed in, will make the 36 mile ride to French Meadows Reservoir and turn around and ride the road the opposite way. The good pavement ends here essentially. Beyond that, it's paved, but the road is in a state of continuing decay and not to joyous for motorcyclists that prefer to stick to the smooth stuff.

:bike Ready to Ride....

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

One of the things that's prolific about Mosquito Ridge Rd is the views. They are everywhere, in every direction. But first, before we get to that, let's take a look at where we are to give you a mental picture. This ride is just south of Auburn, and inbetween Auburn and North Lake Tahoe running parallel to Interstate 80 which runs up to Reno.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

If you look at the map and look to the top left of the "M" and look where Foresthill, you can sort of picture the canyon like area the ride goes through. To the right is a body of water deeper into the mountains, that's French Meadows Reservoir. The one right below it and to the right is Hell Hole Reservoir.

Ice House Road is the one that's highlighted.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Time for a 3-D perspective to help give us an idea what's in store. I just love these things. And you we're paying attention from the previous ride report, these are made in http://ww.delorme.com 3-D Mapping program. I got mine for $40 off ebay. Saw one go the other day, whole USA for like $60 off ebay. Great program.

Thread Information