Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding weight to handlebars to minimize vibration

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Adding weight to handlebars to minimize vibration

Here's a mod to minimize vibration in the handlebars of the bike.

This is Shawn's mod to his '86 Kawasaki Concours:

I just received my 2000 handlebars to add to my '86 Concours and was surprised on how light they were. My FJ1200 handlebars weigh in it like 6lbs for the set compared to what feels like 1 lb for the extruded aluminum handlebars of the Concours.

People have mentioned filling them with with lead so I started looking around the garage at my boxes of left over bike parts and bolts. I found a axle bolt the would fit inside the handlebars once you made sure the weld was smooth going into the handlebars. If you look at is you will see the weld puts a small shoulder that reduces the inside diameter of the hole. I only had one so measured it and it turns out it is a 5/8 hole. So down to the local ACE to pick up a couple of 5/8 bolts. the longest they had was a 6" bolt.

So took it home whacked the head off of it and stuck it in the inside of the handle bars. It really is not totally long enough as you need a 8 1/2 long bolt to go all the way to the end of the bar. However the damping effect of more mass at the end of the bar plus more overall mass is what i am looking for. I put some premium silicone window caulk in first to seal the one end and then more window caulk on the dash side to hold it on that side and prevent vibration. You could do this all on the bike and remove nothing which is the beauty of it. All you have to do is remove the black plastic filler plug to get access to the inside of the handlebars.

Put it all together and drove it. Now I also swapped to 2000 handle bars from 86 at the same time so I can not claim all the damping is going to come from filling the handlebars. I took it for a short drive last night and it did seem to help a little bit on the 4k to 5k buzz that I have on this bike.

Oh yeah cost - $7.50 for two bolts, $4.50 for premium silicone window caulk.

Here's a picture of cutting the bolt heads off, one is already done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: Adding weight to handlebars to minimize vibration

Then just take the bolt, and slide it right down into the hollow handlebar.
    In the shot, you can see one handlebar with a bolt in it and one without.

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Next a shot of the handlebars with Silicone window caulk in them

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Now a shot of both handlebars on the bike. It is a completly different bike to drive. You would not think 1 3/4 inches in height would make that much of a difference but it does.

Name
    mike
    Bike(s)
    1970 AHMRA BMW (750 sportsman), 01 red and blk Honda 929, 04 Ducati ST4s

I posted about the throttlemeister, but also, they weigh more than the stock Ducati's and they reduced the vib's alot. I have a honda sportbike that I added bigger (heavier) barends and that helped with vibs on it.

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    Yes

Has anyone tried the Bar Snake? Saw an ad for one and am wondering how it would work. Some sort of weighted flexible tube thing, made to slide inside the handle bars.

Name
    George
    Bike(s)
    08 Triumph Sprint ST

I believe the Bar Snake is a tube filled with metal ball bearings, so that it is flexible but adds mass.

Not sure how well it works - so far I haven't had vibration problems on either of my bikes, so no reason to go messing around with the bars.
    ---- PASHNIT NATION SCOUTING CORPS ----

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by bikerhamlet
    I posted about the throttlemeister, but also, they weigh more than the stock Ducati's and they reduced the vib's alot. I have a honda sportbike that I added bigger (heavier) barends and that helped with vibs on it.
    Also keep in mind that Throttlemeister makes two versions of the throttle lock, one that is longer and heavier just for this purpose.

On the ole ZX-11D, I opted to add foam grips (instead of the usual superbike grips), and these worked to provide another cushion against vibes on all day rides. Worked very well even with spirited sport-riding.

(Closest picture I can find of the foam grips on the bike.)

Name
    Mark
    Bike(s)
    2000 Suzuki Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues
    I believe the Bar Snake is a tube filled with metal ball bearings, so that it is flexible but adds mass.

Not sure how well it works - so far I haven't had vibration problems on either of my bikes, so no reason to go messing around with the bars.

Bought and installed a Bar Snake on my Marauder last week.

It's actually a solid, heavy tube of shock-absorbing, vibration-dampening polymer.

Works extremely well. It completely eliminated vibration in all gears, except for the top end of 5th (my highest gear).

Name
    firefly
    Bike(s)
    2003 Yamaha vmax

I got some beach sand, dried them in the oven for 30 min, plugged the end of the bar with a cork, poured the sand then plugged the other end, now I have no vibration at all, cost 99 cents for the two corks and I bet it works better than the bar snake. but it does require removal of the handle bar.

Thread Information