Thread: Radio: CB or GMRS

Radio: CB or GMRS

I have an autocomm system on my bike. I use the Rider to Passenger talking function and I sometimes plug in my mp3 player.

I have been on a couple of rides recently and I have noticed that some of the riders prefer CB. These riders were on full dressed touring bikes. Then some riders I see are using GMRS style handheld radios, hooked up to earphone/headphones etc.

On this forum, it seems the GMRS are more popular. Should I set up to use either?

I have some GMRS radios, but I probably need a certain kind of jack cable to plug it into my system. Same with my cell phone, if I were so inclined.

The other part of the problem is how to mount them. I think a tank bra with pockets would be the easiest solution, but I just haven't explored it that much.
    '07 Suzuki Burgman 650
    Happy Feet!
    visit my band at The Trist Website and our CD Triangulation

Re: Radio: CB or GMRS

I think the GMRS are more popular with the sport bikers because they are inexpensive, small, can run on batteries (No power outlet needed) and easy to carry. CB's are common with the bigger full dress bikes, a lot of them come standard with them already installed. Find what the others you are going to ride with and get what they are using.

Re: Radio: CB or GMRS

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Cruiser
    I have an autocomm system on my bike. I use the Rider to Passenger talking function and I sometimes plug in my mp3 player.

I have been on a couple of rides recently and I have noticed that some of the riders prefer CB. These riders were on full dressed touring bikes. Then some riders I see are using GMRS style handheld radios, hooked up to earphone/headphones etc.

On this forum, it seems the GMRS are more popular. Should I set up to use either?

I have some GMRS radios, but I probably need a certain kind of jack cable to plug it into my system. Same with my cell phone, if I were so inclined.

The other part of the problem is how to mount them. I think a tank bra with pockets would be the easiest solution, but I just haven't explored it that much.
    Autocomm usually comes with the cell phone cable. I put my electronics in my tank bag. Autocomm is hard wired in the tail under the seat.

For CB this is the easiest set up http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24

Pretty sure it has inputs for GMRS also. I know a few riders that have this system and they are happy with it. A bit spendy though, ya get what you pay for.
    “A man with a brief case can steal more money than a man with a gun” Don Henley

Thread Information