Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!

Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar

Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!

Stole this link from another moto forum. Dunno if I'm ambitious enough to do this, but the vid makes it look pretty straight-forward. (Although I'm not sure whether I'd do this while listening to a Requiem... hmmm.)

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7546109776315225781"]Tutorial on changing sportbike motorcycle tires[/ame]

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!

I do. Been going through a set of tires every two months. Been thinking of buying one.

Back in the college days, I changed all of them myself, but did it by hand with some tire irons and big screwdriver. Used to break the bead with a board and a huge C-Clamp.

Don't ferget to balance the tires after you change them...very important on the higher speed bikes...if you have ever had an out of balance tire on a moto, you know what I mean...

Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Far
    Don't ferget to balance the tires after you change them...very important on the higher speed bikes...if you have ever had an out of balance tire on a moto, you know what I mean...
    The video mentions that at the end. Was also my concern, since I've seen how balancing is done correctly and it just doesn't look so simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    The video mentions that at the end. Was also my concern, since I've seen how balancing is done correctly and it just doesn't look so simple...
    After I changed 'em, I'd take them over to the local Cycle Gear, and they'd balance the tires. I think it was like $5 per tire, something like that.

here is a link to the BMW Sport Touring fourm and a thread about mounting tires on a gs...in it is a fairly simple balancing routine.

The key is to get the heavy spot on the wheel between the two dots that mark the lightest spot on the tire...my rims rarely require weights when the tire is positioned correctly.

For me...I pay the mount and balance and skip a visit to the chiropractor...works out to be about the same give or take the pain.

Harbor Freight has manual tire changers and balancers for very low(comparatively) prices.

I do. Been going through a set of tires every two months.
    Tim - you gotta get your own tire changing machine as often as you change tires. Good gosh, I still remember you writing that you were only getting a few thousand miles out of a set of tires. I think it's bad that I have to change my Wing's tires about 3 times a year and I get a lot more miles out of a set.

I purchased the tire changer and motorcycle adaptor from Harbor Freight a few years back along with a Metzeler tire balancer and life in that area is good again. I can order my tires online from Honda Direct Line for a sizeable discount over the retail price (plus I ususally buy several sets while they are on holiday sales at usually 10% additional savings) and they are delivered & shipped free to my doorstep in a matter of days. The process is hassle free and far far easier, plus the overall savings is sizeable. I change my tires on my schedule and not someone elses, and one of the local Kragen stores takes my old tires for free and disposes of them.

In the end the combination of significantly less hassle and time to get tires ordered and picked up, plus the sizeable savings per set makes this a win win process. Of course, having the right tire irons (at least 3 or minimum of 2 of the 15 inch curved tire irons) plus a few regular tire irons, the tire changer anchored to a concrete base with 4 anchor bolts, and the right tire changing lubricant - makes that aspect go a lot easier. Of course, the more you do it the easier it gets so don't give up with the first set of tires you change.

DaleC

P.S. The Metzeler balancer works great too.

P.S.S. An inexpensive motorcycle lift works great and helps also.

Kinda new round here

Actually, balancing tires is very easy. Basically, you suspend the wheel through the axle and let the heavy part rotate down by gravity. Put a weight on the opposite side to balance that out. Once the wheel does not settle to the same spot every time after spinning it, then you know it is balanced.

The way I did it, was I put a metal rod through the wheel where the axle goes and suspended that on a couple jack stands. Used a couple of old wheel bearings cleaned and lubed with WD40 to provide a friction-free way for the rod/axle to rotate on the jackstands. (Hope this makes sense.) This was way cheaper than buying a balancing stand and it worked great.

A buddy of mine that raced for over 20 years uses this method of balancing and he said it has been good for 160MPH.

Now that I have a Harley and get 10k miles out of a rear tire, I let the shop do it.

If you're going to static balance your tires, make sure that the rod they are suspended on is level before you get started. Otherwise it'll throw off the balance.

And you should never have to add more then 2 ounces to your wheel. If you do, break the bead on your tire, rotate it 180 degrees rebead it and try to balance it again.

Oh, and don't add weights in more then one place. Move the whole group if you need too.
    Whatever you do, try not to think of yourself as an organic pain collected screaming towards oblivion.
    My Bike Blog

Thread Information