Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!

Name
    Alex
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW R1150 GS Ad

Re: Who needs a tire machine? Change your own!

Tire machines?

Unless its a zero contact type, and none of the ones I've seen for home use are, no thanks!

I've been changing and balancing my own tires since I started riding over 30 years ago. And to date, none of my rims have been scuffed, scraped, nicked or gouged. Shops don't provide any guarantees, but have the nerve to charge big coin for a simple task .

Bead breaking tool: what he made was nifty and I might do likewise. I've been using a four foot long 2" x 6" board that I drive my car onto, but it is a 2-person job to do it right.

Rim protectors: I have a set like those for my other motorcycle, but for the thick edged rims of a BMW GS, I use 2" x 5" plastic sheets cut out from windshield washer bottles. I noticed that he forgot to use his rim protectors when he installed the tire.

Tire mounting lubricant: I've used silicone spray and Armor-All.

BTW, the background music was a whole lot better than listening to some head banging rock crap. Mozart lives on more than 200 years after his death.

Name
    Dale
    Bike(s)
    Goldwing 1800

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Tire machines?

Unless its a zero contact type, and none of the ones I've seen for home use are, no thanks!

I've been changing and balancing my own tires since I started riding over 30 years ago. And to date, none of my rims have been scuffed, scraped, nicked or gouged. Shops don't provide any guarantees, but have the nerve to charge big coin for a simple task .

Bead breaking tool: what he made was nifty and I might do likewise. I've been using a four foot long 2" x 6" board that I drive my car onto, but it is a 2-person job to do it right.

Rim protectors: I have a set like those for my other motorcycle, but for the thick edged rims of a BMW GS, I use 2" x 5" plastic sheets cut out from windshield washer bottles. I noticed that he forgot to use his rim protectors when he installed the tire.

Tire mounting lubricant: I've used silicone spray and Armor-All.

BTW, the background music was a whole lot better than listening to some head banging rock crap. Mozart lives on more than 200 years after his death.
    One of the best lower cost tire chaining machines on the market that works great is the No-Mar Tire changer. They have 3 models, but even the lower cost unit works great and for anyone that goes through a lot of motorcycle tires is a worth-while purchase.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/showcase

Skip the silicone spray or ArmorAll for the tire lubricant use and make a one time investment (this quantity lasts a life-time and works much much better) of about $22.39 for some Camel Tire Stuf - #12-095. Fabulous stuff for a tire lubricant and unlike the silicone spray doesn't evaporate quickly on warm or hot days.

http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...&cat=2,3,4,5,9

DaleC

Name
    Alex
    Bike(s)
    2003 BMW R1150 GS Ad

Quote Originally Posted by DaleC View Post
    One of the best lower cost tire chaining machines on the market that works great is the No-Mar Tire changer.
    And since it does make contact with the rim, the No-Mar...can mar. I don't care what nylon or Delrin inserts they use, all you need is a bit of grit between the two and sayonara. Some of us have anodized rims which aren't as tough as painted or powder coated rims.

I won't risk it...unless they guaranteed me a new rim.

Kinda new round here
    Name
    don
    Bike(s)
    2006 dyna

I HAVE TO REMOVE THE REAR WHEEL ON MY 06 DYNA ANY HINTS?

Name
    Jeremy
    Bike(s)
    HD XL883L

Quote Originally Posted by bigvboss View Post
    I HAVE TO REMOVE THE REAR WHEEL ON MY 06 DYNA ANY HINTS?
    Please dont' take this as sarcasm, it's not. Step one: Buy maintenance manual for type model and year of your bike. After that it should be pretty easy. I didn't read the how to on changing tires since i have no interest in doing it my self but if your bike has tubes (i.e. lace wheels) it is even easier than most. kinda like changing a bicycle tire. takes a bit more oomph though. And damaging you wheel is always a possibility. I have a '05 XL and do mount my own wheels but not tires.
    /r
    Jeremy
    All spelling errors are intentional.

Thread Information