Thread: Oil Coolers... To cool or not to cool?

Oil Coolers... To cool or not to cool?

Hey Guys & Guru's

I am riding a Yamaha XZ550 (Vision) and I am thinking about putting a oil cooler on. Those of you that know of this bike might remember that it has a habit of burning a stator. I have made many Mod's to this bike, and this is a big one, I want to know from those of you who have oil coolers on your bike, if they are worth it, and do you think it really makes a difference?

Re: Oil Coolers... To cool or not to cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly
    Hey Guys & Guru's

I am riding a Yamaha XZ550 (Vision) and I am thinking about putting a oil cooler on. Those of you that know of this bike might remember that it has a habit of burning a stator. I have made many Mod's to this bike, and this is a big one, I want to know from those of you who have oil coolers on your bike, if they are worth it, and do you think it really makes a difference?
    SUPERFLY, ONE OF THE RAREST(OTHERS MAY USE DIFFERENT NAMES) YAMAHAS EVER MADE, AND YOU HAVE 2?
    SO DO I. 95% HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BIKE THAT WAS MADE IN 1982 AND 1983 ONLY. ONE OF MY VISIONS HAS BECOME A PARTS BIKE (NEEDED TO SWAP OUT STATOR!) I HAVE GONE THROUGH 2 USED ONES AND 1 NEW
    ONE. IT JUST BURNED UP. DO U HAVE ANY CONNECTS ON STATORS?
    STRATUS749

Quote Originally Posted by stratus749
    DO U HAVE ANY CONNECTS ON STATORS?
    STRATUS749
    $139.00 at electrosport.com , don't know how that compares for your bike, but they have a good rep. Used to be called Electrex up till 3-4 months ago.

Its a rare motor that won't benefit from an oil cooler, as long as oil temp is kept above 190F, read at the sump (not a bypass galley). If you have cool weather where you live you can simply cover it. Lockhart and Rapid Cool both offered thermostats at one time, though its been said elsewhere these have become scarce. Harley's accessory catalog once listed them also, may still. Price was around $40 as I recall, tho cover is cheaper. Aircraft surplus coolers, some helicopter's sized near perfect, often incorporate an integral thermostat. Invest in a gauge as too cool is as bad or worse than a bit hot.

Thanks Hdrdr! I Will Give Them A Shot! Cool Weather? 108deg In The Shade.

Stratus749
    A.k.a. Yamaduc

STRATUS749,

I love my Vision(s). Those of us that have them (running) know why they have a following, even refered to as a cult (but I refused to shave my head!)

I bought a Stator from Rick's Electrics. Same thing as Electrex (Electrosport) 20k and still chargin' strong!

Have you been on the Riders of Vision website? http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php#1 Cool place, we have fixed alot of the little bugs that plagued this bike in it's 2 year run.

HDRDR, thanks for the info, the ironic part is that there is talk on another forum about keeping the stator cooler (via oil cooler) so they do not burn up so fast... funny how things come full circle!

Clapping2 Re: Oil Coolers... To cool or not to cool?

STRATUS749,

I love my Vision(s). Those of us that have them (running) know why they have a following, even refered to as a cult (but I refused to shave my head!)

I bought a Stator from Rick's Electrics. Same thing as Electrex (Electrosport) 20k and still chargin' strong!

Have you been on the Riders of Vision website? http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php#1 Cool place, we have fixed alot of the little bugs that plagued this bike in it's 2 year run.

HDRDR, thanks for the info, the ironic part is that there is talk on another forum about keeping the stator cooler (via oil cooler) so they do not burn up so fast... funny how things come full circle!
    SUPERFLY,
    THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO!
    YOUR EX.PIPES ARE WICKED. TOO COOL! NOW I CAN FIX MY EVERYDAY RIDER AND USE MY DUC749 ON WEEKENDS. I HATE CARS (WORK WITH FO.MO.CO. FOR 23 YEARS) CARS ARE GOOD TO GO SHOPPING WITH. I BOUGHT MY FIRST VISION FROM MY EX-NEIGHBOR WHOM COULD NOT GET IT
    RUNNIG FOR $60.00. FIXED IT BY CLEANING THE GUNK OUT OF THE JETS.
    FOUND MY 2ND ONE WHILE HUNTING FOR A STATOR 4 YEARS AGO. IT WAS IN A SALVAGE YARD FOR 17 YEARS. EX-OWNER BOUGHT 2 BIKES AT THE
    SAME TIME . PUT 659 MILES ON THE VISION AND GAVE IT TO HIS RELATIVE
    TO TRY TO SALE. DID NOT SALE SO IT WENT TO A M/C JUNK LAND. GAVE
    HIM $500. AND TOOK THE WHOLE BIKE

The pipes on the black bike are a one-off Complete Supertrapp 4-1 System (amazing performance) I just painted that bike, but I am still trying to get the "orange peel" out of the clear coat (she is really dirty!)

People would junk these bikes, not knowing exactly what was wrong, and most of the time it was something really easy like a loose starter clutch, or Balancer drive nut (common problems with this bike) mis-diagnosed.

It takes some work to get these bikes to run right, but after that they are great! The black one is a dialy ride, about 130 miles a day, (I have put over 40k on a engine I got out of a junkyard) and typically very dependable. I have built mine from the frame up, and do all of the repairs/maintenence on it (she has never seen the inside of a repair shop!) It is alot of work, but it keeps my butt of of the couch!

My Dodge stealth is sitting in the parking lot, collecting dust. I much perfer the bike to cars (except grocery shopping! been there done that.. it sucked!)

I too have build mine from the frame up. My first vision had a engine knock. So I bought 1 from a junk yard ( first of 3 engines) What I found on 2 of the 3 engines I bought that the forward piston was broke.I found all the bearings
    for the engine except the mains (crank) Luckily their were within spec's.I did
    some port work on the heads and just really had this engine tight. This bike screamed for a 550. Then one night I parked it in front off my house instead of the garage, Big mistake. The neighbor I bought it from had been trying to buy it back. He became somewhat angry. The next morning as I headed for
    work I made it about 200 yards and the engine seized.Upon disassembley, I found what looked like a penny left on the train tracks along with dirt, small
    rocks and water. Live and learn!
    The pipes on the black bike are a one-off Complete Supertrapp 4-1 System (amazing performance) I just painted that bike, but I am still trying to get the "orange peel" out of the clear coat (she is really dirty!)

People would junk these bikes, not knowing exactly what was wrong, and most of the time it was something really easy like a loose starter clutch, or Balancer drive nut (common problems with this bike) mis-diagnosed.

It takes some work to get these bikes to run right, but after that they are great! The black one is a dialy ride, about 130 miles a day, (I have put over 40k on a engine I got out of a junkyard) and typically very dependable. I have built mine from the frame up, and do all of the repairs/maintenence on it (she has never seen the inside of a repair shop!) It is alot of work, but it keeps my butt of of the couch!

My Dodge stealth is sitting in the parking lot, collecting dust. I much perfer the bike to cars (except grocery shopping! been there done that.. it sucked!)

Wow! What kind of person would trash a bike like that.... that sucks! That is a lot of work (I did a pair of connection rod berrings on another Vision engine) So the amout of work that was lost really sucks....

Have you had a chance to check out the forum yet?

Wow! What kind of person would trash a bike like that.... that sucks! That is a lot of work (I did a pair of connection rod berrings on another Vision engine) So the amout of work that was lost really sucks....

Have you had a chance to check out the forum yet?
    Not in depth yet, but I will! I am soooo glad I didn't junk the vision in march
    when the stator went out and I bought my ducati. In about a month I am going to get a stator and some carb gaskets.My vision was painted by a ford body shop color= ultra violet. Most call it purple rain. I will see if I can get some pics.
    Thanks

Thread Information