Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crater Lake Photography - Oregon Motorcycle Ride

Name
    Michael
    Bike(s)
    BMW 2013 F800GT

Artist Painting Crater Lake Photography - Oregon Motorcycle Ride

I needed to ride somewhere new and since I had some time off this week, I decided to head north to a place I'd never been to before - Crater Lake in southern Oregon. My trip almost didn't happen however when I tweaked my lower back, struggling to mount new rubber on my rims the day before I left. The joys of getting old! Fortunately, after stretching and a handful of Ibuprofen, I was good to go the following day.

The ride up was boring - straight up Interstate 5 past Sacramento to Mt Shasta, where I spent the night. I've learned that I'm good for about 6 hours of riding...after that, my butt is just screaming for relief. No Iron Butt awards for this wimp! Was so tired, I made the rookie mistake of covering my bike before the pipes fully cooled so I now have some patching to do. Melted plastic on the pipes is not a good thing. Anyway, a hot shower, fresh clothes and a few beers with my chile rellenos that evening and I was feeling no pain.

Next day, I get up, pack the bike, head for the local espresso shop and I nearly had a heart attack. Smoke was pouring out from under my bike!!! Turns out, that plastic from my bike cover was cooking on my pipes. Not a great way to start the day but it certainly woke me up. Back on Interstate 5 North for a few more miles and then it was time to hit some of the backroads just north of Mt Shasta.

Loaded down and headed north near the CA/OR border...that's Mt Shasta in the background. I brought enough gear so that if I needed to or felt like camping, I could. Turns out, I motelled it both nights...after a long day in the saddle, a hot shower was just too tempting! My ride from Mt Shasta to the southern entrance of Crater Lake was just 144 miles.

Crater Lake used to be Mt Mazama, a volcano that erupted 7,000 years ago and then collapsed, forming the 5 by 6 mile, 1,949 foot deep lake (the deepest lake in the US). This is a view of the (almost) entire lake. It's so big, that even my 14mm lens could not get it all in one frame. That's Wizard Island in the foreground, a cinder cone volcano that erupted a few hundred years after Crater Lake was formed.

The lake is so deep and the water so pure that the combination creates an intense blue that is difficult to convey in a photo. The white smudge you see in the water is actually a reflection of a cloud. I couldn't have asked for better weather on this trip.

The road around the lake is 45 miles long and often hugs the lip of the crater, 1,000 to 2,000 feet above the surface. One little push and my bike is in the water!

There were so many scenic viewpoints to check out that I ended up just taking my gloves off and kept the camera around my neck as I rode around the lake. Was easier that way.

And at each scenic viewpoint, there were these little well fed beggars to entertain the tourists.

The cinder cone on top of Wizard Island. That's water, not sky in the background.

And along the edge of Wizard Island are shallows reflecting all different shades of blue and turquoise.

This is the other island, appropriately named Phantom Ship Island. This is where I'll build my retirement cabin.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this little photo tour of Crater Lake. I definitely plan to go back and explore the area. I only spent a short afternoon there before I had to head back home. I spent the 2nd night in Ashland, Oregon (147 miles from Crater lake) and then home the next day (400 miles). A quick 3 day 1,000 mile tour but worth it and I lucked out as I was passing Mt Shasta on the return trip - saw this beautiful cloud covering the summit like a pancake.

Last edited by taosports; 02-03-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Name
    Robert
    Bike(s)
    Ducati ST4, Suzuki DR350SE

Re: Crater Lake, Oregon Ride

Hmm...almost like you knew what your doing Michael.
    Ok, now adding Crater Lake to my must see list, just after adding torags Grand Canyon National Parks! Beautiful
    Live to ride...ride to brunch

Name
    Kenneth
    Bike(s)
    2002 Honda Goldwing

Bumpy start but a smooth landing Michael. Your pictures are just amazing, what more can I say. After you jumped in and got your feet wet, sounds like the rest of the trip went well. Thanks for taking the time to share with us...........Ken

Name
    Jim
    Bike(s)
    Changes weekly

Wow...some spectacular photos. I really like the one of Mt Shasta.
    "If you are not getting as much from life as you want to, then examine the state of your enthusiasm". Norman Vincent Peale

Name
    Barry
    Bike(s)
    81 Honda GL500 Silverwing

Awesome pictures, so sharp and stunning and each one has a texture that puts the viewer in the moment. Great stuff.
    SILVERWINGERS BLOG
    "Never be afraid to use a bigger hammer"
    Me, I said that.

Name
    Bradford
    Bike(s)
    Many BMWs (R1100S Replika & R1200GS in SF)

stunning shots.. I am planning a ride over LD Weekend and Crater Lake is on the list... I am really looking forward to it.... your photos wet my appetite.. I just hope I have the same luck with the weather... thx for the photos.. truly they are eye candy for any rider

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Wow!! Michael, these are just fantastic shots! Simply stunning, you make wonderful painting like photos for us to view! Do me a big favor and post these two shots over in our 2007 Calendar thread, just wonderful stuff and very much tells a story with just a single shot. Keep us posted on your adventures!!

Name:  mike-1.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  187.3 KB

Name:  mike-2.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  133.8 KB

Ride the wheels off it VFR Pilot's Avatar
    Name
    Brad
    Bike(s)
    02 Honda VFR, 89 Honda Transalp (RIP) SAG Wagon

Re: Crater Lake Photography - Oregon Motorcycle Ride

Michael these photo's make you want to just drop everything and ride to Crater Lake. You have a truely wonderful eye photo's more please
    Life is like a sewer what you get out of it depends on what you put in to it!!!!
    US ARMY Retired Cavalry "VELOX ET MORTIFED"

Name
    Kurt
    Bike(s)
    Hypermotard

Great stuff!

Thanks,

Kurt

Name
    X
    Bike(s)
    X

AWESOME that is the most beautifull lake I have ever seen a picture of I only hope I get to see it one day!

Thread Information