Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Nevada in September: A Pashnit Ride of Elevated Proportions

Name
    Johng
    Bike(s)
    Goldwing 1800AB 2008

Re: Sierras in September: A Pashnit Ride of Elevated Proportions

Hi from down under great ride report, my wife and i are coming over next year starting out from LA on the 3 Sept 07 up to Big sur (i have been there before) over to yosmite for a couple of days and then onto cedar city, rubys inn, torrey, page, nth rim, sth rim, Vegas and back to LA on te 18 Sept. I would be intrested in the type of weather we are likely to encounter i see from some of the pics some of the people have shorts and jackets on so that tells me cool in the morining good days cooling down at night. Love the pics and can not wait to get across and do it ourselves.

Comments on what to see and weather more then welcome

Again great ride report and pics keep them coming
    Kind regards
    John

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Hi John - always amazed at the healthy membership this site has with all the Australian folks! As for riding in September around California, depends on where you stand. For LA, keep in mind it's essentially a desert climate, so you could be in LA in Sept, and it'll be 90 degrees.

Weather is also a function of elevation as you can go from sea level to 5000 ft and beyond in a very short time. Coastal California in September will be hit or miss. We've had georgeous weather with 60 degree temps, or possibly windy and foggy. (Hotter it is inland, the more likely there is fog along the coast which is often the case in summer.) But the kids are back in school, family vacations are over, and roads are often light with traffic. Fall is a fantastic time to be out riding, and as you saw, on this particular weekend, the leaves were turning at about 5000 feet, great colors.

Also keep in mind that desert like climate gives a huge swing in temps through the day. Can be 55 in the morning ride, and 85 by afternoon. So what I often do for riders coming on the tours is remind them to just be ready for cooler morning temps, and dress in layers. But don't be surprised by cooler temps (below 50 degrees).

As for Yosemite, the valley floor is only 4000 feet so typically every 4000 ft climb in elevation is ~10 degrees less in temperature. However once you get above 6-7000 feet (ie Glacier Point) in the Sierras, it's a whole 'nother weather pattern. So worse case is thundershowers and hail. Yes, it can snow in September at higher elevations, but you'd most likely be fine!

Name
    Michael
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki Ninja 650R

What, no pictures of the ratbike Nighthawk? Or was I just riding it too fast for you to get a shot?

Great pics, and great trip. I will DEFINITELY be back for more!

Michael

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by courageousdeer
    What, no pictures of the ratbike Nighthawk? Or was I just riding it too fast for you to get a shot?

Great pics, and great trip. I will DEFINITELY be back for more!

Michael
    Ya know, it was only until later that I realized I was short one bike when it came to pics of all the bikes in the group. I typically try to get shots of all the bikes, but of all the bikes- I missed the rat bike on the tour. Proves once more you can tour on anything!

Closest thing I've got of you while on Hwy 4. (Micahel is the last bike for those following along at home!) I had made the comment to Michaal that his ole Chase Harper soft saddlebags were so faded from the sun, they were another color.

Other comment I made to Michael is while we were headed up Pool Station Rd, I was leading doing a pretty fair clip, and Mike was right behind me on the ole Nighthawk 750. Isn't he supposed to be getting further and further away, I was thinking. Great riding with you Michael!!

Name
    Daniel
    Bike(s)
    ´95 Honda CB500 (sold)

Thanks for the report, Tim!
    I love the shots of the Ghost Town. Really interesting stuff!

Kinda new round here

Excellent photos, as usual! Being somewhat of a history nut I appreciated the pictures of Bodie. While you were at the cemetery did you notice the headstone for Rosa May? She was buried outside of the graveyard itself. It seems that some of the citizens of the town did not think it proper for her to be buried next to the "good" people (some of whom were undoubtedly her customers). Story is that she was the town's hooker.

Name
    Pat D
    Bike(s)
    2002 Triumph TT600

Re: Sierra Nevada in September: A Pashnit Ride of Elevated Proportions

Wow...excellent job on the pics, Tim. I was born and raised in Sonora, CA and grew-up riding my bike (a 21 speed at that time) all over those roads and passess. Now living in So-Cal, it brought back a lot of memories of that area. I can't wait to get back there and explore those same roads...but on a bike with a little more power than my own two legs.

Thanks for the memories!

Pat D

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    Honda Goldwing 1800

touring lodi

Good afternoon, I'm a new rider and a few friends of mine who a expert riders ( CHP ) are looking to ride in the sierra's this weekend ( hwy 88/89, big trees) any suggestions on were to stop and enjoy the view.

Just got my first bike 3 months ago ( bmw k1200 LT ) and looking to take first long day ride.

I'm new to Pashnit and not sure how to use this site, but have herd great things about it.

thanks

from
    touring lodi

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Mike - First bike = LT? As for views, just head up to the top of hill. Hwy 88 Carson Pass gets it's first big view at Peddler Hill Vista overlooking Bear Valley Resort. Great view! On the east side of Carson Pass nearing Kirkwood, some great views up there of the mountain lakes. Not that the southern most portion of Hwy 89 is Monitor Pass, and views that boggle the mind. Nothing quite like it.

Name
    S...
    Bike(s)
    Concours 14

This is soooo Amazing Tim. I am forming this bad habbit of spending sometimes hours on pashnit.com at night..wondering what else is there and reading these awesome ride narrations. Gives me a fit of joy everytime. If all goes well I am sure I will be putting up my name for the ride (next one I think it is in a couple of months right )
    I bought a new ninja 650 which is more fun than I could have imagined. but I am wondering if I need to change the seat and put in something more cushy for longer rides. Well I will be experimenting with a few more than 200 mile / day rides to get a feel ...
    Again thankyou for sharing your passion of riding with the rest of us...

Thread Information