Thread: Tyre kicking the Norge

One more mile ........... Steve1962's Avatar
    Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    BMW R 1100 R

Tyre kicking the Norge

Today I met up with Andy at a bike dealership near Aylesbury , where he wanted to check out the new Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 , as it has caught his eye [ he has a soft spot for Italian bikes - he has a Guzzi at home already as well as his current bike 1150 RT ] .

On the way there ............. riding through the woods .........

Pretty autumn colours .........

I stopped to take a couple of shots by the waterway ..........

At the dealership ............ they would only allow a test ride if you paid 25.00 , which would be refundable if you purchased a bike !!

Anyway , as we were there we had a good look round it .......... Guzzi Norge 1200 - shaft driven tourer , smaller than the RT , lighter and lower to the ground .......

Feet flat on ground ...check
    Good ergos ..............check
    Nice bike .................check
    Happy biker ..............check

I think Andy will book a ride on this bike from a dealer nearer his place - they will allow you to take the bike for 24 hours for 30.00 - he' ll be taking the wife along as they both go out on the bike regularly together .and I'll probably join him for the day .
    It'll be interesting to see if the bike handles as well as the Beemer two up .
    Andy seems smitten though , my money is on him buying one of these next summer .

Steve

Steve
    Fast enough to enjoy the curves , slow enough to enjoy the scenery

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Re: Tyre kicking the Norge

Very, very nice Steve! Been reading all the articles on this one. I would think the market is well in line for another option in the sport touring arena!!

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    BMW R 1100 R

Quote Originally Posted by pashnit
    Very, very nice Steve! Been reading all the articles on this one. I would think the market is well in line for another option in the sport touring arena!!

Andy's wife also enjoys to ride pillion , and if there is one thing the beemers do well it is in the handling department when two up and fully loaded , so it will be interesting to see how the Guzzi fares in that area .
    By our reckoning , 200 miles per tankful should be possible [ 50 mpg ish ] , and the higher spec models [ not available until next year ] come with electronically adjustable windscreen [ the beemers have this as standard - we are so spoiled ] , luggage and heated grips - the model shown was only the base model with none of these features [ manual adjust for the windsceen ] .
    It's a nice looking bike , slim by comparison to the beemer , with not as much weather protection , but more manageable due to it's size and weight .

Steve

Name
    Will
    Bike(s)
    '02 Moto Guzzi Le Ma

Icon7 Re: Tyre kicking the Norge

I rented an 1150 RT and was really impressed with its handling in the twisty bits.

I'm keen to know how the Norge stacks up next to an RT!

Please keep us posted!

Name
    Josef
    Bike(s)
    98' BMW r1100r (Ol'

That Guzzi is pretty nice & the way they are going I may have to change my name to Guzzi bum.
    But on a different subject, do people live in those cool boats on the canals?
    Are they expensive? How big are they inside? Do you have to pay to moore in a chanel like that?
    I would so love to live like that, but California has me so spoiled. What is the climate like there?

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    VFR1200 DCT

I noticed that the Norge is sitting next to the MT-01. You folks in Europe are fortunate to get a choice of bikes that we in the US will never see. The MT is the bike I originally wanted, but gave up hope that it'll ever be imported to the states. I then bought the uber cool Moto Guzzi Griso as soon as it was available here in June this year, my first Guzzi. What a funtastic machine! If any of you are considering a Guzzi, don't pass up the Griso!
    10 VFR1200F DCT
    07 Griso (Sold)
    98 VFR800

Name
    Steve
    Bike(s)
    BMW R 1100 R

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer bum
    That Guzzi is pretty nice & the way they are going I may have to change my name to Guzzi bum.
    But on a different subject, do people live in those cool boats on the canals?
    Are they expensive? How big are they inside? Do you have to pay to moore in a chanel like that?
    I would so love to live like that, but California has me so spoiled. What is the climate like there?
    People do live on these boats - they are commonly known as narrow boats- in recent years it has become more popular , with some folk " downsizing " from a house , selling up most of their belongings , and shoe horning themselves into a narrow boat , spending thier time cruising the canal system throughout the country at the racy pace of ............ 4 mph [ max limit] on inland waterways ..it is a great way to see the countryside which can't be seen by road , and is often far off the beaten track too .
    These can be hired as well , with areas like the Norfolk Broads being very popular destinations for holidays on narrow boats .

I have to go now , as I've just taken these two photos .........

and I need to sneak in a quick bike ride before I have to take my son to work .
    Steve

Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    Pending...

I love that Norge......

I'm curious about US availability though. My local dealer shows it on their website for $14,490 US. But I haven't seen any mention of US availability anywhere else, and Guzzi doesn't show it on their US website.

Hope it won't be another in a long list of great bikes I'd love to own, except that I live in the wrong country.

~Mike

Name
    Bill
    Bike(s)
    VFR1200 DCT

I stopped by the local MG dealer, and they told me they are getting some Norge's in, don't remember the date though. So it appears they are destined for the US market.
    10 VFR1200F DCT
    07 Griso (Sold)
    98 VFR800

Thread Information