Thread: Awww shucks Tim!!

Awww shucks Tim!!

A brand new format and mine is the first post (and now the second). What can I say? Thank you, thank you, thank you. Elated, humbled, and all fired up!

Now y'all, it's time for us enduro (dual sport...youngsters ) guys to post up. We get to post reports and pics not only of sweet pavement but also sweet dirt. Dig into yer old pics or, better yet, launch new exploratory adventures. I'm already planning some fresh stuff just for Pashnit. How about you? Some of Tims stuff has dirt excursions that are way fun...like the Kennedy Meadows report. Tons of dirt adventures spring off this one alone.

The cynic in me wonders if Tim didn't just do this so us dirty bikers will lay off the pavement only crowd.

Again, thanks very much Tim.

Edit PS...We can also do the recon roads for the sport and cruiser bikers. If they want to know if the pavement continues or turns into terra firma, we can go and not have to back track.

Re: Awww shucks Tim!!

I am very interested in this new forum. I purchased a 2005 Triumph Tiger last August from the Reno Triumph dealership. I have never been a dirt rider. My interest in the dual sport bike is only to travel on highly maintained dirt roads. I have put a lot of miles on my bikes since re-entering the motorcyle world in 2000 and now I can turn off the pavement, onto those dirt roads I have often wondered where they lead to. I live in Burney CA, where I have plotted and traveled a dirt road trip from my house to the Nevada desert. It is a blast to travel. It takes me about 6 hours to make the trip. The really cool thing about a dual sport is when I get to the other end of the trip, I can hotrod the thing home on the paved roads like it is a sportbike. How much better than that does it get?
    Mike Benzon
    Burney, CA
    11 Triumph Rocket Roadster
    05 Triumph Tiger
    IBA # 7666

Welcome to pashnit Mike and welcome to the world of enduro riding!

I had a bit of dirt experience but not near enough. I stuck to dirt roads and logging spurs. My first jaunt into soft sand was done on a lark and it was an eye opener! I figured that, sure, the GS is a big bike but it is a big dirt bike. The sand was a bear...first the front wheel felt like it wanted to pull right or left and throw me to the ground. Then I slowed down and it became worse. At one point, I ended up laying the bike down with the wheels pointing uphill. I was all alone with nobody else in sight for miles. Great! Now let's just hoist a 575 lb dirt bike back up all by myself. Almost poped a gut with no effect. Was forced to rotate the bike on the right cylinder head and point the wheels downhill to get it back up.

My lesson learned? Don't explore deep without a partner or two for assistance if something goes wrong. If I had been seriously hurt, I might still be there (in skeleton form and coyote poop). Cell phone, yes, but they don't always have service out in the wild. I cornered any experienced MotoX rider that would hold still long enough and asked questions. Soft dirt requires more speed, not less (you want to float over the sand not plow into it). The front wheel will feel like it wants to throw you to the ground. Light grip on the handle bars, slide your butt closer to the rear wheel, and steer with your knees on the tank or by standing and leaning. Don't fight the handlebars, the bike will want to stay upright and straight because of centrifigal force. If you fight it you will crash. Lay off the brakes, especially the front brake. Use engine compression or light rear braking.

Since then I have been playing a bit more in the sand to learn muscle memory and work on technique. I have been up to 50 mph in loose sand and know the bike will go faster. Frankly, it still makes me too nervous. Just start small and work up. Question anyone who knows dirt riding and then go out to practice. Learn to ride in soft soil, some dirt roads will turn that way and you may not want to back track. Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg
    A brand new format and mine is the first post (and now the second). What can I say? Thank you, thank you, thank you. Elated, humbled, and all fired up!

Again, thanks very much Tim.
    What would I do without everyone looking over my shoulder to keep me on the path of straight & narrow!

Considering the immense worldwide popularity of AdvRider - I think you all are on to something! Plus I just like the sound of the phrase 'adventure touring' !! I've actually done a bunch of threads on AdvRider.com with all the pics shot from the saddle of my hayabusa- maybe b/c I love the goats. Looking forward to the banter from the dual-sport mind .

And an LT & a Tiger? Gotta love that. I have a Hayabusa & a Yamaha Venture. As you get older, you have this epiphany that two bikes are always better than one.

'Bout as close as I get to Adventure Touring!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tim,

Throw some knobbies on you Hybusa and lets hit some dirt trails.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg
    Welcome to pashnit Mike and welcome to the world of enduro riding!

I had a bit of dirt experience but not near enough. I stuck to dirt roads and logging spurs. My first jaunt into soft sand was done on a lark and it was an eye opener! I figured that, sure, the GS is a big bike but it is a big dirt bike. The sand was a bear...first the front wheel felt like it wanted to pull right or left and throw me to the ground. Then I slowed down and it became worse. At one point, I ended up laying the bike down with the wheels pointing uphill. I was all alone with nobody else in sight for miles. Great! Now let's just hoist a 575 lb dirt bike back up all by myself. Almost poped a gut with no effect. Was forced to rotate the bike on the right cylinder head and point the wheels downhill to get it back up.

My lesson learned? Don't explore deep without a partner or two for assistance if something goes wrong. If I had been seriously hurt, I might still be there (in skeleton form and coyote poop). Cell phone, yes, but they don't always have service out in the wild. I cornered any experienced MotoX rider that would hold still long enough and asked questions. Soft dirt requires more speed, not less (you want to float over the sand not plow into it). The front wheel will feel like it wants to throw you to the ground. Light grip on the handle bars, slide your butt closer to the rear wheel, and steer with your knees on the tank or by standing and leaning. Don't fight the handlebars, the bike will want to stay upright and straight because of centrifigal force. If you fight it you will crash. Lay off the brakes, especially the front brake. Use engine compression or light rear braking.

Since then I have been playing a bit more in the sand to learn muscle memory and work on technique. I have been up to 50 mph in loose sand and know the bike will go faster. Frankly, it still makes me too nervous. Just start small and work up. Question anyone who knows dirt riding and then go out to practice. Learn to ride in soft soil, some dirt roads will turn that way and you may not want to back track. Have fun!
    Riding in sand with a 500 lb bike

I don't like sand with my DR-Z that weighs half that much. I don't consider myself any where near expert, but riding in dirt seems to really help my street riding skills. Welcom to the world of dual sport.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

John

Hey easy there I'm talking about sandy roads (3" to 10" deep), not sand dunes. I'm not THAT brave and unlike the Dakar race guys...not sponsored. Boy, if I could just get a new Beemer when this one goes terminal (free of charge) then look out.

Thread Information