Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Forum for CA Moto Roads

Name
    Paul
    Bike(s)
    FJ1100

Re: New Forum for CA Moto Roads

If this isn't the right place to post a suggestion about the motor roads pages, I'll repost elsewhere on request.

#1 let me say that the road reviews are stunningly good. They are highly informative, beautifully photographed, and well-written. I think the subscription to the Roads database would be a bargain at 5 times the price.

I do have some minor suggestions.

1. If there are known road hazards at particular times of day or seasons, that might be highlighted in a small box at the top. For example, you can get black ice on Highway 33 in winter, particularly on the back side (going down to Cuyama). The gravel hauling trucks that come over from Cuyama also operate on regular schedules. Just one rock off the back of one of those can ruin your day.

2. Known hazardous "killer" curves might be marked on the map. Again, for Highway 33, there's a decreasing radius off-camber turn that has nailed many riders.

3. If there are long stretches between gas stops, perhaps this could be indicated on the map, or, again, maybe the simplest thing to do is have a summary table at the top. One column might be "longest distance between gas stations".

4. If the road has cell phone black-out zones, it's worth remarking on this. If one is riding some of these roads in winter solo, and breaks down, it can be a long time before a passing motorist might lend help.

5. In some cases, it's much preferrable to ride in a particular direction due to the terrain, position of sun, availability of turn-outs. I know many of the stories have comments to this effect, but again, this might be summarized in a table at the top, with an entry for "Recommended Direction" and "Best Time of Day." West Camino Cielo in Santa Barbara, for example, is invariably better done in the afternoon, as the marine layer usually clears about 11:30.

6. Put recommended "Chow stops" on the maps. Sometimes when traveling a new road I'll stop for lunch and be disappointed, only to find that there is a great "known only to locals" spot just up the road.

7. Maybe the roads could be given a three level rating: Easy/Moderate/Challenging . I've been on a couple group rides with guys on big touring rigs that got real unhappy about some very steep switchbacks that were tough to negotiate even at a crawling speed.

I know it's a ton of work to "retrofit" the hundreds of existing articles, but perhaps one or more of these elements could be added to the upcoming stories as they are added.

Thanks to the Pashnit folks!

Name
    Matthew
    Bike(s)
    Toura-busa

Quote Originally Posted by -Yo-
    If this isn't the right place to post a suggestion about the motor roads pages, I'll repost elsewhere on request.

#1 let me say that the road reviews are stunningly good. They are highly informative, beautifully photographed, and well-written. I think the subscription to the Roads database would be a bargain at 5 times the price.

I do have some minor suggestions.

1. If there are known road hazards at particular times of day or seasons, that might be highlighted in a small box at the top. For example, you can get black ice on Highway 33 in winter, particularly on the back side (going down to Cuyama). The gravel hauling trucks that come over from Cuyama also operate on regular schedules. Just one rock off the back of one of those can ruin your day.

2. Known hazardous "killer" curves might be marked on the map. Again, for Highway 33, there's a decreasing radius off-camber turn that has nailed many riders.

3. If there are long stretches between gas stops, perhaps this could be indicated on the map, or, again, maybe the simplest thing to do is have a summary table at the top. One column might be "longest distance between gas stations".

4. If the road has cell phone black-out zones, it's worth remarking on this. If one is riding some of these roads in winter solo, and breaks down, it can be a long time before a passing motorist might lend help.

5. In some cases, it's much preferrable to ride in a particular direction due to the terrain, position of sun, availability of turn-outs. I know many of the stories have comments to this effect, but again, this might be summarized in a table at the top, with an entry for "Recommended Direction" and "Best Time of Day." West Camino Cielo in Santa Barbara, for example, is invariably better done in the afternoon, as the marine layer usually clears about 11:30.

6. Put recommended "Chow stops" on the maps. Sometimes when traveling a new road I'll stop for lunch and be disappointed, only to find that there is a great "known only to locals" spot just up the road.

7. Maybe the roads could be given a three level rating: Easy/Moderate/Challenging . I've been on a couple group rides with guys on big touring rigs that got real unhappy about some very steep switchbacks that were tough to negotiate even at a crawling speed.

I know it's a ton of work to "retrofit" the hundreds of existing articles, but perhaps one or more of these elements could be added to the upcoming stories as they are added.

Thanks to the Pashnit folks!
    To add on, what if there was a way the Road Pages could have a "wikipedia" section for each road where riders could add info like Paul recommended?

That might be an option if the rewrite required would be too much work.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Straight roads are evil EQPlayer's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Bike(s)
    DL650

Tim,

One thing that would really help is a clickable map, like SBR uses. Often, I'm looking at road names, but have no idea where the road is. I'd like to plan a route, road to road, but it's difficult having to check every thread, just to find that the road I'm reading about is hundreds of miles away from the planned ride.

I disagree with a rating easy/medium/difficult, because what's easy for one might be near impossible for another. Plus, the type of road plays a large role in the ride's difficulty. An 'easy' goat trail might be the same as a 'difficult' 2-lane sweeper; who's to say? It's too ambiguous.

Distance between gas stations would REALLY help. Heading into the boonies with no idea where the next gas is makes me very nervous. An example, Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna is about 140 miles, too far for smaller tanks. There is gas along the way though, mentioning where would be a great help.

Rotating the free feature roads is a good idea, perhaps 2-3 times a year. Any faster and it'll be counter-productive, people will just wait for the rotation instead of signing up. Include a variety of road types in the free roads, 23S16 is always a good one. (I *still* drool every time I read that page! 23S16! )

Hope these ideas help,

Mike
    Mike
    2009 Vstrom 650

Name
    Henry
    Bike(s)
    Kawasaki ZX10R

Quote Originally Posted by EQPlayer
    Distance between gas stations would REALLY help. Heading into the boonies with no idea where the next gas is makes me very nervous. An example, Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna is about 140 miles, too far for smaller tanks. There is gas along the way though, mentioning where would be a great help.
    On the last Pashnit NorCal tour, I rode up to Tim and pointed down to my gas tank as the light went on (35 miles to go). When we pulled up to gas up, 10 miles later, Tim said "You never have to worry about gas on a Pashnit ride.". So true!
    2006 ZX10 Smart Bomb
    Seat cowl, 2CT Michelins, Gear Indicator, SpeedoHealer, ZeroG screen, A&R Race Baffles, Vortex Gearing -2/+3, Pazzo shorties, Helibars, ridden by Fadi.

Name
    Pierre
    Bike(s)
    03 Yamaha FJR1300

Quote Originally Posted by EQPlayer
    Tim,

One thing that would really help is a clickable map, like SBR uses. Often, I'm looking at road names, but have no idea where the road is. I'd like to plan a route, road to road, but it's difficult having to check every thread, just to find that the road I'm reading about is hundreds of miles away from the planned ride.
    Mike
    I second the map feature! If the locals can't find it, pity us poor Canuks!
    I just renewed my subscription and started to scan the High Sierra pics after being away for several months and immediately went into "how can I make it back next year" planning mode. We'll see, we'll see....

Name
    Paul
    Bike(s)
    '11 Victory X-Cntry

Wow hadnt ever ventured into this area of Pashnit before... and maybe I shouldnt have, but heres my 2 cents worth.

Tim provides an UNBELIEVABLE service to riders (I dont think anyone could disagree with that) on this website which was the first of its kind and will be the bar in which any other entity may try to compete with. BUT, to ask for gas stops, food stops, cell phone dead areas, icy road warnings, pothole reports, shade temperature changes, ability levels.... etc etc etc.... would be totally absurd, not only just for this venue but for MOTORCYCLE TOURING overall!

If you need Tim to hold your hand on a ride (Im sure he would be happy to) then take a Pashnit Tour and enjoy it all together (as my wife and I have)... But come on... Part of riding, part of the adventure, the basis of TOURING is NOT knowing whats around the next corner, where you are gonna sleep the next night, what people or person you are gonna meet along the way thru adverse conditions or just a friendly wave as you pass thru a small town.

People this isnt the Chicago Transit Authority that runs on rails and a scheduled departure time!!! go out and plan your own ride, ride your own ride, experience your own experience and then.... report back here! Thats where your own experience fits into the picture, because we all have different ones even tho we go to the same places, some good, some bad, but we all get to share them here where "Tim" (The Tour Master) has made a place for us....

Seriously tho, I think people just want to be so 'in control' of every aspect of life... relax and just go enjoy it!

Thread Information