Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vintage pix for your pleasure- my XL600

Spawn of Garagemonster slobert1970's Avatar
    Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

Vintage pix for your pleasure- my XL600

Great new forum! Heres some pix from a decade ago when I was a dualsport freak! My budy and I both had XL600's and would take off every couple of weeks for a three to four day adventure. We lived in Santa Cruz and would head to the Sierras and beyond. We rode all over the sierras and much of eastern nevada with a sleeping bag and a duffle strapped to the rack. We even did the Rubicon twice. Really the time of my life.

We eventually got a couple of more friends into it and really went crazy doing trips most every weekend. More stories and memories than I can post here, but to sum it up, its amazing the adventure that can be had right in your own back yard with alittle planning ( or lack thereof) and some skill.

Any ways marriages, moves, and carreers split up our perfect party. The tired XL was replaced by a shiny new RF900 and the dirt was forgotten for awhile. Now a DL1000 sits in my garage, and though I wont be doing the rubicon or riding down any cow trails, it has caught a piece of that adventure spirit Ive been missing and does quite well on dirt and gravel roads. It is also alot more fun blasting down the hyway than the old knobby chunking XL. Ok maybe not more fun but more sane! Any ways hope these pix help any one with the bug to get inspired.
    Rob

PS, the bike started out bone stock, but by the time I was really into it, it was more dirt bike than street bike. It would hang with most any one at Holister hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

Re: Vintage pix for your pleasure

OH yah, one more thing, just to show you how addicted I got, the bike had 1500 miles on it when I bought it. two years and one engine later it had 58,000miles on it when I sold it. You could say I got the bug. It was my first motorcycle and the key to freedom and adventure. I would work all day, go to school at night, then take the bike on rides in the santacruz mountains till two or three in the morning. The first extended Time I spent with the woman who became my wife was giving her a ride on XL. It was awsome.
    Rob

Name
    Den
    Bike(s)
    BMW R1150R

Rob, Great Story!! "Thanks for the Memories" Den

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Wow! Rob- this is awesome! 58K on a XL600 Amazing

You can definitely feel the emotion on this photo! I have stood in spots like this more times than I could ever count and totally know the addiction of constantly wanting to stand on that mountain top and gaze off into the horizon!

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

Re: Vintage pix for your pleasure- my XL600

Yah, I have great rides now and a much fuller life in general, but I have to admit a part of me longs for those simpler days where outside of work and school, that bike was my life! Oh what fun. And getting high milage out of an XL that was ridden like a pure dirt bike wasn't easy. I got to the point where I could pull the engine out of the frame in about 15 minutes, including the time to have a cold soda! I could tell by sound when the valves needed adjusting and could do it in the field by feel. Had the frame welded twice. had the valve seat crack and fall into the piston seizing the engine while in east San jose, trying to find gas at 2 in the morning after riding down from mount hamilton. Let me just say that pushing that pile through those nieghborhoods was interesting. Any ways. Thats why I love this site, it seems most of us have the passion. And The bikes I had since that XL have been nicer and more reliable, but that bike was the most fun I've ever had. It took me to hell and back.
    Heres another round of pix just to show what a dual sport can do and where you can go. And todays dual sports make the old XL seem lame. If any ones thinking about jumping on the dual sport train, its a fun ride! Hope the pictures get your juices flowing!
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

Oh yah, how do you put captions on pictures? the first two are nevada (don't recall where) the second two are in las padres nation forest in socal. the last one is hollister hills.
    Rob

Crazy Rider - 1000/24/24 motowriter's Avatar
    Name
    <g>
    Bike(s)
    '05 FrankenZ1, '78 KZ650 SR

All really cool shots, Rob! Looks like you had a helluva good time out there. Heck, I know who to ask now about tips on keeping the DL1000 upright through all conditions!!

Thanks for sharing those excellent pix!

Oh, I don't think you can caption an attachment here. I suppose you could add a bit of white space to the bottom of an image and type some text in, though. Or get a subscription to a free/low-cost online image web site and post here via links. If you insert the link to an image you can keep writing your text after each insertion...

Name
    John
    Bike(s)
    DR-Z 400, 2007 Harley 1200R

Great photo's. That is what dual sporting is all about. Going where you want when you want and not worring about rtoad/trail conditions.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

John

Name
    Tim
    Bike(s)
    Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by slobert1970
    Oh yah, how do you put captions on pictures?
    Rob - being able to upload 5 pics at once is really just an added convienence around here to make it real easy to share photos. Very few forums are set up like that. So that feature is rather unique to the Pashnit Forum. If you want captions, just tells us #1, #2, otherwise you'd have to do a single post at a time with one photo per- which is a bit more time consuming but is an easy solution.

Other option is storing the photos at SmugMug.com or other photo place. Keep in mind the highly commercial ones (read free), ie imagestation, photobucket, etc can't make it through corporate firewalls, so on some computer systems the person sees no photos with those storage places.

Name
    Rob
    Bike(s)
    Suzuki V-strom 1000 '04

Quote Originally Posted by pashnit
    Rob - being able to upload 5 pics at once is really just an added convienence around here to make it real easy to share photos. Very few forums are set up like that. So that feature is rather unique to the Pashnit Forum. If you want captions, just tells us #1, #2, otherwise you'd have to do a single post at a time with one photo per- which is a bit more time consuming but is an easy solution.

Other option is storing the photos at SmugMug.com or other photo place. Keep in mind the highly commercial ones (read free), ie imagestation, photobucket, etc can't make it through corporate firewalls, so on some computer systems the person sees no photos with those storage places.
    Thanks for the response. Since I resize them for this forum in photoshop allready, I think I'll just take a few extra seconds and add captions while in photoshop.
    And yes, this forum is unique in more ways than one! Thats why its the only one I post on with my limited computer time! The people here seem more into biking and less into BS. This site rocks!
    Rob

Thread Information