Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
JeffeVerde
Quiet Pipes Save Rights

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle:
  Yes, please

What's your Minimum level of ALL THE TIME Gear

From the responses to both Donna's poll, and other threads on the subject, there's obviously a wide range of opinions of what exactly defines "All The Gear". Also, I suspect that some (a lot of?) people hedge on the "All The Time" part, when maybe they wear a reduced level of gear for local/low-speed riding.

So, here's a very specific poll. What is the MINIMUM level of gear you wear, 100% of the time, for any ride of more than a block from your home] (or a 1/4 mile for you rural residents)? (to allow for things like a run up and down the block while doing a tune-up, or taking a niece/nephew/grandkid for a loop around the cul-de-sac at 5mph)

For the purpose of this poll-
"Armored Boots" specifically means secured (laced and/or zippered shaft) boots with ankle and shin armor. Slip-on cowboy- and engineer-style boots do not fit this definition.

Geoff in San Diego
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'00 Suzuki Katana 750
'96 Honda Helix uberscooter
JeffeVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
tacp_daddy
USAF JTAC

Name: Justin

Motorcycle:
  2012 ZX-10R

Re: What's your Minimum level of ALL THE TIME Gear

don't walways wear riding pants when going to/from work. Just not enough room in my pack for my work pants with everything else. When out actually "riding" I put on the good ol' pants.. Even in Hawaii att,att, and yes... it gets HOT!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 AM   #3
FishWitch
~*~Crazy Lady~*~

Name: Sydney

FOLSOM!!! Not the Prison! 175K & counting!

Motorcycle:
  '05 Victory Kingpin

Send a message via AIM to FishWitch Send a message via MSN to FishWitch Send a message via Yahoo to FishWitch

Azzlezz chaps? Gotta go get me one of those doormat tattoos across my lower back so I'll look kewl with my tank top on!!!

HAHAHAHA!

99.9% of the time I dress for riding. Same as usual whether going around the block or on a 600+ mile trip.

Member of The Victory True American Road Trip Team
FishWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
G8ESCAP
AKA Gixxerdale

Name: Dale

Motorcycle:
  4wd Dual Sport

With years of collecting scars and broken bones, I finally realized it is all the gear all the time, or I don't get on the bike. Even if it's just down the block to the store it's FF, leathers, boots and gloves, or I cage it.

"Ride like you own the road, and one day the road will own you"
G8ESCAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
dstevens58
Official Old Fart

Name: Don

Motorcycle:
  82 SilverWing 500GLI

Send a message via ICQ to dstevens58 Send a message via AIM to dstevens58 Send a message via MSN to dstevens58 Send a message via Yahoo to dstevens58

At a minimum, FF helmet, jacket with protection, and boots/gloves. Most of the time, I wear jeans (yes, even at work). I know I should invest in some pants, but haven't come up with the $$ yet.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
matthewp
Combat Truck Monkey

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle:
  Toura-busa

in the VERY RARE occassion I will ride to work (about 1 mile across Post each way with 25mph limit) I will not wear leathers or armored boots. I will wear my Alpinestar "summer" gloves, FF, and my Icon Military vest with my full fatigues. But, because of the comfort issue of wearing my full gear, it is very rare when I do ride to work.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Whiplash

Name: Dana

Motorcycle:
  2005 Yamaha RoadStar

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiplash

Peronally, I have yet to find a pair of riding pants that fit like a pair of jeans. It probably has something to do with the lower volumes and the need to produce few size varieties... but until I can afford to have a custom pair of Bates made... Levi's it is.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
kimber99
99.44% Pure

Name: Kimber

Motorcycle:
  2003 BMW 650GS

I don't know whether to count these "Draggin' Jeans" as gear, so I didn't... But I do hope they're better than regular jeans.... The video on the website is pretty impressive. Dragged the guy 100 feet and ripped up the denim...but the kevlar was intact. You can add armor to 'em too. But I don't. (I only wear them when it's pretty hot. Otherwise, armored textile pants and the whole 9 yards.)

Well...I do own a back protector and don't wear that all the time... Hmmmm... Room for improvement no doubt.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
JeffeVerde
Quiet Pipes Save Rights

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle:
  Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Peronally, I have yet to find a pair of riding pants that fit like a pair of jeans. It probably has something to do with the lower volumes and the need to produce few size varieties... but until I can afford to have a custom pair of Bates made... Levi's it is.
There's significant variation in the fit, from one brand to another - and sometimes even from one model to another. So whatever your body shape, there's a good chance you can find a pant that fits you. The tough thing is finding dealers in your area that actual have the different brands in stock, in your size.

Newenough.com does a good job of describing how each item actually fits, rather than simply stating the mfg's size, and they're good about returns. Ebay's a good way to try out brands, too. If you don't like something, just relist it. If you buy smart, you may actually make a few bucks on the resale. At 6'4", I'm hard to fit, and it's pretty much impossible to find anything in my size at a dealer. I did a bunch of ebay shopping until I figured out which sizes in which brands fit me (and which brands flat out won't fit).

Geoff in San Diego
'00 BMW R1100 RT
'00 Suzuki Katana 750
'96 Honda Helix uberscooter
JeffeVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #10
Whiplash

Name: Dana

Motorcycle:
  2005 Yamaha RoadStar

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffeVerde
Newenough.com does a good job of describing how each item actually fits, rather than simply stating the mfg's size, and they're good about returns. Ebay's a good way to try out brands, too. If you don't like something, just relist it. If you buy smart, you may actually make a few bucks on the resale. At 6'4", I'm hard to fit, and it's pretty much impossible to find anything in my size at a dealer. I did a bunch of ebay shopping until I figured out which sizes in which brands fit me (and which brands flat out won't fit).
Yep, local dealers have squat. I went through 3 pairs of pants from New Enough before giving up. They were great about the returns, but it's a real hassle trying on clothes via mail order. At this point I've resigned myself to having something custom made. I had to do this with my jacket and although expensive, it was worth it.