Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

CA Moto Roads Get your Pashnit PASHNIT
Go Back   Pashnit Motorcycle Forum > Pashnit Trip Planning > GPS & Mapping Technology for Travel

Notices

Tours

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
jbauer
Junior Member
 
jbauer's Avatar
 
Name: Jon

Location:
  San Francisco

Motorcycle:
  '07 CBR600RR

Join Date: Jun 2005

Posts: 59
Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Anyone? I've read reviews, but they don't offer much in terms of REAL WORLD experience, just what the Garmin glossies say...

- Thanx
- Jon
jbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
EatnAsphalt
Junior Member
 
EatnAsphalt's Avatar
 
Name: Andy

Location:
  Monterey

Motorcycle:
  CBR929RR

Join Date: Aug 2006

Posts: 55
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

I should have one by next week. I'll post a review.

It has a few flaws I can tell from reading the online specs and manual.

It doesn't display elevation/altitude information.
It doesn't let you adjust the track log points (how often it sets a point).
You can't save your track log (called a Trip log in the Zumo) to the unit, without converting it to a route, which would greatly reduce the number of points in the log.

I like to adjust the track log points in the gpsmap 76s I use so on really twisty stuff, the track log shows all the curves.
EatnAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
rathump
Junior Member
 
rathump's Avatar
 
Name: Dave

Location:
  New Jersey

Motorcycle:
  '96 HD-FXSTC & 07 HD-FLHTCUI

Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 12
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatnAsphalt
I should have one by next week. I'll post a review.

It has a few flaws I can tell from reading the online specs and manual.

It doesn't display elevation/altitude information.
It doesn't let you adjust the track log points (how often it sets a point).
You can't save your track log (called a Trip log in the Zumo) to the unit, without converting it to a route, which would greatly reduce the number of points in the log.

I like to adjust the track log points in the gpsmap 76s I use so on really twisty stuff, the track log shows all the curves.
Any reviews on Garmin Zumo 550?
rathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
EatnAsphalt
Junior Member
 
EatnAsphalt's Avatar
 
Name: Andy

Location:
  Monterey

Motorcycle:
  CBR929RR

Join Date: Aug 2006

Posts: 55
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathump
Any reviews on Garmin Zumo 550?
Haven't gotten it yet.
EatnAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
wbunning
"Carrizo"
 
wbunning's Avatar
 
Name: Walter

Location:
  Santa Maria, Ca

Motorcycle:
  Beemers

Join Date: Mar 2006

Posts: 664
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer
Anyone? I've read reviews, but they don't offer much in terms of REAL WORLD experience, just what the Garmin glossies say...

- Thanx
- Jon
There is quite a bit of discussion over on the BMW Sport Touring forum. Check there.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...ard/GearAccess
__________________
Walt
'05 R1200GS
'06 R1200RT
Central Coast Motorcycling Weather Dual Sporting the Carrizo Plain
2009 goal: hike 1200 miles this year. Only 837 more to go.
wbunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
jsteiner
Kinda new round here
 
Name: John

Location:
  Sacramento, Ca

Motorcycle:
  '06 Honda Shadow VLX

Join Date: Dec 2006

Posts: 1
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer
Anyone? I've read reviews, but they don't offer much in terms of REAL WORLD experience, just what the Garmin glossies say...

- Thanx
- Jon
Bought one on eBay from Rugged Journey, on 12/11 and received it on 12/12. Had it registered with Garmin and up and running in a few minutes. Did a web update and S/W was upgraded to 2.30. Quick mount to vehicle, still to mount on the bike. So far easy to use, and understand. Works much faster than my Street Pilot III. Comes with everything you need, except an extra dashboard disk if you want to move it from one vehicle to another (using the suction cup on the windshield is unlawful in CA, according to Garmin). Still considering the GTM 12 FM TMC or GXM 30 XM recievers for traffic updates.

Interface is intuitive, buttons seem stiff maybe difficult when gloved on the bike, but I will report on that after I get it mounted on the bike and try it out that way. Just waiting for the rain to stop to move forward with this.
jsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
EatnAsphalt
Junior Member
 
EatnAsphalt's Avatar
 
Name: Andy

Location:
  Monterey

Motorcycle:
  CBR929RR

Join Date: Aug 2006

Posts: 55
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiner
Bought one on eBay from Rugged Journey, on 12/11 and received it on 12/12. Had it registered with Garmin and up and running in a few minutes. Did a web update and S/W was upgraded to 2.30. Quick mount to vehicle, still to mount on the bike. So far easy to use, and understand. Works much faster than my Street Pilot III. Comes with everything you need, except an extra dashboard disk if you want to move it from one vehicle to another (using the suction cup on the windshield is unlawful in CA, according to Garmin). Still considering the GTM 12 FM TMC or GXM 30 XM recievers for traffic updates.

Interface is intuitive, buttons seem stiff maybe difficult when gloved on the bike, but I will report on that after I get it mounted on the bike and try it out that way. Just waiting for the rain to stop to move forward with this.
Welcome to the site John!

That's for the review. We'll look forward to reading more about it when you have time to try it out on the bike. Mine is still back ordered. Although the longer I wait, the less likely I'll get one.
EatnAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
rathump
Junior Member
 
rathump's Avatar
 
Name: Dave

Location:
  New Jersey

Motorcycle:
  '96 HD-FXSTC & 07 HD-FLHTCUI

Join Date: Jan 2006

Posts: 12
Confused6 Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

Ordered mine today on ebay for $736.95 with overnight shipping. Will update the thread next weekend after some testing (if the claim of having units in stock holds true).
rathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
redrider
More Twisties please
 
redrider's Avatar
 
Name: Bill

Location:
  San Jose, CA

Motorcycle:
  VFR1200 DCT

Join Date: Aug 2006

Posts: 206
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

I just ordered the Zumo for $704.00 shipped from Compuplus. I've done business with them before and they're reputable. This is my first GPS so it'll be interesting to see how it changes or affects the way I ride.
__________________
10 VFR1200F DCT
07 Griso (Sold)
98 VFR800
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
EatnAsphalt
Junior Member
 
EatnAsphalt's Avatar
 
Name: Andy

Location:
  Monterey

Motorcycle:
  CBR929RR

Join Date: Aug 2006

Posts: 55
Re: Real world experience with Garmin Zumo 550?

I cancelled my order. The Zumo had too many features missing that I'm use to for my use.
EatnAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zumo! New Garmen Motorcycle-Specific GPS - Bluetooth - XM Radio GSDrifter GPS & Mapping Technology for Travel 1 07-19-2006 11:36 PM
Do you know what a Real Biker is? Michael Bishop Pashnit Humor 33 12-20-2005 09:41 AM
A Real Salesman Owner of Harriet Pashnit Humor 0 10-25-2005 09:06 PM
My first real ride on the motorcycle... EQPlayer General 16 09-08-2005 02:18 PM
Hopefully this time it's for real... Toyuzu General 11 02-16-2005 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Pashnit.com - All rights reserved
no new posts