Author review
FoodN/A
ServiceN/A
AtmosphereN/A
CleanlinessN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Tioga Toomey's Whoa Nellie Deli - Lee Vining

I just read about this in my AAA Via magazine. Apparently a great chef set up shop in a gas station mini-mart making affordable, really good food (lobster taquitos, buffalo meatloaf, etc). I can hardly wait to try it out when Tioga pass opens. <op-en, op-en, op-en>

http://www.thesierraweb.com/tiogagasmart/deli.html

Anyone been? Is this really as good (and weird) as it sounds?
By DaleC on 05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Re: Tioga Toomey's Whoa Nellie Deli - Lee Vining

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbunny
I just read about this in my AAA Via magazine. Apparently a great chef set up shop in a gas station mini-mart making affordable, really good food (lobster taquitos, buffalo meatloaf, etc). I can hardly wait to try it out when Tioga pass opens. <op-en, op-en, op-en>

Yes, it is really a gourmet stop and at a gas station to boot!. Extensive menu that is worth checking out for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner. In the summer and nice weather they have seating outside on the patio and grass area (on the right)for eating outside and even live music to listen too on some nights.

Great place to eat and the gas is much cheaper there than in nearby Lee Vining too.

DaleC

By Toyuzu on 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tip - I plan to make a Tioga pass ride some time this summer. Gourmet food at a gas station - What'll they think of next?
By DaleC on 05-16-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyuzu
Thanks for the tip - I plan to make a Tioga pass ride some time this summer. Gourmet food at a gas station - What'll they think of next?
When you go there if time allows check out part of Hwy 120 going east from Hwy 395 to Benton. It's only a little over 63 miles (126 round trip), but worth checking out. It's great ride that I call the Whooptido's and is much like a roller coaster so you'll both have fun and see some great sites.

DaleC

By Toyuzu on 05-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Thanks Dale! I just bookmarked this thread for future reference, with a "Tioga Pass Ride" title. I've got a lot of riding to do this summer.
By bearparts on 05-17-2005, 02:37 AM

I have been to this place twice, always packed with people. Amazing!
By snowsurfer on 07-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbunny

I live 20 minutes away, foods always great and the view can't be beat. Weekdays aren't too crowded. Try the lobster taquitos, the fish tacos w/ mango salsa or the cowboy ribeye sandwich ( 12oz steak) For 10.95.
You will not be disappointed.
By alofsac on 08-24-2005, 01:45 PM

I love that place !!

The big burger is good. There is a little knob of land with a flagpole right next door and you can ride up there and look out over mono lake wile you eat .. or take a power nap if you want Gas is 24Hr Credit Card
By sac_ken on 08-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Member reviews
Food
100%100%100%
Service
100%100%100%
Atmosphere
100%100%100%
Cleanliness
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%

Been there once, and I'm definitely going again.
There are soooo many great looking dishes on the menu, and the chicken jambalaya I had was so good I couldn't believe it.
I thought about just hanging around until I got hungry again so I could try out some other dishes...
By Wanderlust on 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleC
When you go there if time allows check out part of Hwy 120 going east from Hwy 395 to Benton. It's only a little over 63 miles (126 round trip), but worth checking out. It's great ride that I call the Whooptido's and is much like a roller coaster so you'll both have fun and see some great sites.

DaleC
Great pictures of those trees growing right up out of the sand. How do they do that!

Does anyone have any pictures of those whoopdedoos?

I rode those last month with Helmetdance, and had so much fun that I forgot to stop and get a picture.

In fact when I hit the first of the whoopdedoos, I had just passed a car and trailer, and was going a little too fast. I hit that dip, and everything fell out from under me, including my bike. I'm sure the people in the care had quite a chuckle over that one.
Comment